PDA

View Full Version : MAY Fly Swap UPDATE

SullyTM
05-05-2005, 11:37 AM
I just received MSP's Parachute BWOs. Since I can't post a pix I'll describe them. NICE!!! These puppies will sit on top of the water with nary a ripple. My Cascade Ants are tied and tagged. Thanks MSP. thom

MSP
05-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey Thom, man that US Postal Service is fast! Glad you received the flys and thanks for hosting the Swap! Looking forward to seeing the others! :D

Hairstacker
05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
You guys done already?!? :shock: What're you guys, perfessionals or somethin'? :lol:

MSP
05-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Professional, I don't think so, you can tell by the quality of my flies. I just don't have a life, I have to work at least til 10:00 am almost every day, and then all I have to do is fish! I don't know where I find the time to tie flies! :roll: Oh yea, I have to mow the lawn once a week too! I'm getting worn out, where is my glass of wine?

Hairstacker
05-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Mike, you are clearly living the life I've dreamed about since I was 12 years old. :lol:

SullyTM
05-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Mike...Professional fly tier...I wish! I found my nirvana to late in life. Plus, the Cascade Ant was an easy tie...in this professionals opinion. So? what's your excuse?! I'm working on a secret weapon sculpin pattern...Shhhhhhh, top secret! Thom

Jgoding
05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I'll be tying a parachute caddis. Brown. Thinking size 14.....

Jeff

SullyTM
05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
OK, the line-up is as follows:
MSP - Parachute BWO
SullyTM - Cascade Ant
Darian - Stimulator
Hairstacker - Lime Trude (hold the olive)
Jeff - Parachute Caddis (brown)
David - something foam, ugly and terrible

Don't forget the toe tags and any additional information you may want to send along. Also, tie an extra fly for the pot.

Enjoy the weekend...

SullyTM
05-08-2005, 07:52 PM
How goes the tying guys??!! thom

Adam Grace
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Thom, your signature is soooo true!

I love it because I can totally relate!

Darian
05-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Thom,.... Haven't started tying yet.... 8) . Still winding up the April Swap activities... :lol: :lol: .

Hairstacker
05-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Thom! I tied four just to play around with proportions to see what I liked best but struggled mightily with my bobbin fraying the heck out of my thread. Like on every wrap. :? So, gave it up and went and bought a new bobbin today (Griffin Supreme ceramic). Should be back in the saddle this weekend. 8)

David Lee
05-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Thom - Can't quite sort-out a fly ..... Thinking about a deer-hair dry Damselfly , a foam October Caddis , a foam Giant Stone .... I just cannot seem to get my mind together (not unusual) .

I have never tyed a dry - I don't fish drys -I am goin' nuttier than a $#@!-house Rat from this rain -the walls are closing in-have to work tomorrow-no Stripes-Dogs are crankey-Cats are staring-Funnel clouds-G.W. Bush-high gas prices ...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll have a Beer and get back to ya :idea:

David(MAD :P )Lee

Hairstacker
05-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Well, I never would have believed it if he hadn't said it himself -- there actually EXISTS a type of fly David hasn't tied. :shock: And him being someone who ties more types of flies than I was aware existed. Silicone? No problem. Epoxy, tube, crease, classic saltwater, deer hair, wool, etc., etc.? No problem. Enrico streamers? Child's play in David's hands. I, for one, am absolutely shocked by this revelation. I think it might be safe to announce that the rain has now stopped for the season. :lol:

Darian
05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
David,..... How 'bout an Beahead Olive Wooly Chernobyl Ant :?: It'll glow in the dark... :shock: :shock: .

That combo of materials has the kind of authority on the water that'd make any Trout worthy of his stripe beggin' for more :P :P . Where's my vice/materials :?: :?: Gotta start tying some of those baby's..... :roll: :roll: :lol:

SullyTM
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Mike...I think you missed out on the rain. It came down in buckets yesterday around 5PM. Hail the size of peas!!!. Destroyed half of my garden!!! This week it will reach 80 degrees. That should make David feel better. Speaking of David...As Swap master for May I am willing to cut him some slack. I know he can tie a dry, however, David, if got something up your sleeve and it "sinks" go for it. Deadline isn't until later this month. Enjoy.

David Lee
05-11-2005, 01:09 PM
No worries , Thom - I think I might have goofed around w/ a couple of drys when I was starting out .... :?:

My fly for the May Swap will be ....... The alpine version of Andy Burk's Deer-Hair Damsel - In Olive :)

Not too different from the one Umpqua sells , just smaller to match those beautiful little kites :!:

Wish me luck 'cause I haven't tyed anything smaller than a #6 Dragonbugger in a LONG time :o

David

SullyTM
05-11-2005, 01:18 PM
David...The sun is out...no rain in sight...beer on ice...thought you might be down on the AR scaring up some Shad or Stripers? I can only dream....thom

SullyTM
05-15-2005, 04:57 PM
...how goes the tying? Deadline next weekend. Just checking... Any "fish" stories from this weekend! Bye.

David Lee
05-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Please see the warmwater section , Thom ...... Tales to tell !! david

Hairstacker
05-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Next weekend?!? :shock: I had interpreted the due date as May 27. :shock: :lol:

SullyTM
05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Hairstacker...You're right! I'm wrong...Weekend of May 28. Sorry guys!

David Lee
05-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Thom/Swappers - I have to change my fly for the swap (those #@$%^&@' tiny dry Damsels ain't workin' out so well .... :twisted: ) .

Let's make this one a suprise , in case I ruin my next choice :roll: .

David

Hairstacker
05-17-2005, 12:49 AM
David, I was going to say, every dry damsel fly pattern I've ever seen looked like a sure recipe for insanity. :lol:

David Lee
05-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Mike - Ever spin a perfect ball of deer-hair 2/3rds the size of a pea ????

It was a nice idea , but to be honest , goofin' 'round w/ #14 hooks and good spinning hair isn't in the cards anytime soon - I'll take-up Brain sugerey first . David

Tony Buzolich
05-17-2005, 05:32 AM
David,
I have to agree with you about tying those little flies after tying a bunch of striper stuff. You kind of have to get your brain in a mind set and think differently when changing to something else you don't use that often.

Also, if you're like me, I'm having to use those reading glasses more and more, and those little flies are just a little tougher to tie.

Have fun,
TONY

SullyTM
05-17-2005, 07:04 AM
David...Surprise away!

I've been sitting on some #20 dry fly hooks for a year and have never tried to tie one...to SMALL for Mr. Clutz! Well this weekend I gave it a try and I almost threw the whole kit-and-kabootal in the trash!!! And to think there are tiers who can do #22, #24, #26 and beyond! My local fly shop guy said just tie in the color thread to match the pattern. Don't bother with any dubbing and tie in a parachute type post. DONE!!!

Heard on the weather it could reach 90 degrees this weekend. GREAT! Just in time for my son's high school graduation! Gotta get a panama straw hat! Thom

Hairstacker
05-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Thom, I have found it REALLY helps to sneak up on those size 20 and smaller hooks. If I need a range of sizes of, say, Parachute Adams, what I do is tie half a dozen size 14s, then half a dozen size 16s, then half a dozen size 18s, and ONLY then tie the size 20s and so on. If you approach it that way, you'll hardly notice the incremental reductions in size as you migrate to each smaller-sized hook. I have found it much easier than trying to tackle the size 20 or smaller hooks head on. It works for me. :D

Jgoding
05-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Send hooks to me along with pattern requests and I will take care of it for you guys.... I even have some size 32's I will throw in..... moving in a couple weeks but after that I can whip out whatever pretty fast, especially in that size as it doesn't take long to fill those hooks up....

Jeff

PaulC
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Mike's suggestion is on the money. I do the same thing when stepping down to 24's,etc.
Especially after tying large saltwater patterns, the size change can be overwhelming.
One thing I've found is kinda cool for fishing super tiny patterns is using a larger pattern with the tiny pattern as a dropper.
Gives a point of reference for locating that little guy.
A cool way of doing this so you don't have to tie off on the hook bend is having a set of indicator flies with a mono loop coming off the back end.
I'm typically using a size 16 humpy or bleached elk hair caddis for visibility with a 6x loop on the back, tied first with the rest of the pattern on top.
Hope to join you guys on the next swap!
-Paul

SullyTM
05-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Mike etal., Yep good tip on tying small flies...I did tie a #16, then #18 and then a #20...still a challenge. Jeff...#32! :o I'm going to work on my 20's, but I really appreciate your offer. Wouldn't think of having you do any tying unless I can reminburse you somehow...Wanna trade? PM me and let's dicker...

Hairstacker
05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Yep, thank you Jeff, that is a very kind, generous offer, much appreciated!

Size 32 . . . I can't imagine. I bought some Orvis 24's a little while back just because they were on sale but I can't imagine tying on anything smaller than those. I mean those 24s are TINY. I've never even seen a 32 but I think it would be fun to tie one just for the heck of it. Come to think of it, that would make for an interesting fly swap -- one restricted to size 20s and smaller. Could mail them off in those little toy containers you get out of the quarter machines at Safeway. :lol:

Darian
05-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Haven't tied any dry flies for some time and am, less than fondly, recalling the hackling problems involved.... ARRrrrrrgh :!: :!: :!: Hope you guys like relatively large dry flies... :? . Like on size 12, 200R's.....

Jgoding
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, I must admit, I haven't actually tied anything on those really small hooks yet but I have tied down to a 28 without too much trouble. Just have use small enuff materials to get the proportions of the fly correct without a lot of bulk. But I hear what you guys are saying, after tying those zuddler's and then switching back to a size 14 hook, I was like damn, everything seems so much smaller than it used too.... So Mike and Thom, maybe you need an exact opposite approach, I will send you guys those size 32's and smaller and try tying on those for a bit. Then when you put those 20, 22's in the vice they will seem huge!... LOL

Jeff

SullyTM
05-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Jeff...Just enclose them with the May Swap Flies. Hey Mike, can you spin deerhair for a #32?! :P

SullyTM
05-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Just received Darian's Stimulators...They are just asking to be fished :twisted: 3 down, 3 to go...David, Hairstacker and Jeff I'm sure are slaving away at thier vises because the weather has been lousy that past couple of days :lol: With the holiday weekend approaching you guys probably want to get them done this week...who wants to tie this weekend? Thanks Darian for the toe tags and material list...

Oh, one other item...I don't have a digital camera to post pictures so do I have a May Swap volunteer who can/will do this when I mail them out? Thanks. Thom

Hairstacker
05-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Well, I mailed 'em off. I tried to mail 'em yesterday but, on the way to the post office, realized I had forgotten the toe tags. :oops: Hope you all like 'em, I think they're kind of cute.

SullyTM
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Mike...Cute is good! Looking forward to seeing them...David and Jeff are hard at work I'm sure :twisted: Remember guys, you don't want to be tying over the holiday weekend...Thanks to all who participated. It's been fun. Thom

SullyTM
05-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Happy Memorial Day everyone! Pulling weeds and enjoying it!

Has everyone finished their May Swap Flies? Hairstacker, Jeff and David have not been received...But if you're out catching fish, I'll understand...Later

Hairstacker
05-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Thom!

Mine should have gone out in Thursday's mail according to the post office schedule. I'm rather surprised you didn't get them by Saturday. Well, I don't think mail's running today due to the holiday but you should definitely get them by tomorrow. By the way, I followed your "c/o" mailing instructions, so it went to your work -- only mention this, as I'm not sure you're checking there.

Have fun with the weeds, ha. I usually just nuke 'em myself. 8)

David Lee
05-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Sorry to all Swappers , mine will be out Tuesday .

Who's hosting the June Swap ????

David

Hairstacker
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
David, June swap? Good question! I'm willing to host it if folks are interested. Thought maybe with all this good weather, folks were busy with other things. . . .

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 06:59 AM
...I'll be looking for them this week. Thanks to all who participated. If anyone can post pictures of them after getting theirs in the mail it would be appreciated. I don't have the means. Thanks. Thom

Jgoding
05-31-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry, I just finished moving all weekend so mine will go out later this week as well. I can try to post pics for the swap when I get them. No promises though as we don't even have internet up yet....

Jeff

SullyTM
05-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Hairstackers Lime Trudes have been received...Looking good :!: Jeff and David will be sending out theirs this week...Thanks.

SullyTM
06-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Received David's flies yesterday...We'll call them Sacramento Water Bug, size 8. Five and only I to go...Hello, Jeff? :wink: Should wrap everything up next week. Thanks everyone. Thom

Jgoding
06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Will try to get them out this week. Sorry, moving takes a lot of freaking time...and then there is the unpacking..... and more unpacking..... and the little odds and ends of setting up the new house.....

Jeff

Darian
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
My how the time does fly when you're havin' fun... :roll: :roll: :lol: .

SullyTM
06-14-2005, 06:46 AM
I am planning on mailing out the May flies this week. Jeff is still unpacking at his new abode so when he gets his flies to me, I'll mail them out separately. Thanks.

SullyTM
06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Jeff's flies are in the mail...Once received I will send out everyones. Thanks.

Jgoding
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Thom,

I sent six flies so keep one for the pot as I don't need one of mine back. I forgot all about that one.

Jeff

SullyTM
06-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks, Jeff... Thom

David Lee
06-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah , thanks , Jeff ... the MAY Swapflies show up on the 23rd of JUNE - :evil:

I must say ..... well worth waiting for - VERY nice job , fellas !!

Which one of you savages (or new guys ?) are hosting August :?:

If no one steps up .... I'll host the BEST Swap yet - The PET FLY Swap ( no , you silly buggers , not tyed w/ fur from housecats :roll: ...) .

I will only do this if no one else wants to host , though .

David

Darian
06-23-2005, 10:32 PM
What happened to July :?: :?: Not that I'm volunteering you understand.... :roll: :roll: :lol:

David Lee
06-23-2005, 10:41 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not only can I NOT tell time .... but I can't figure out what month it is ...

Didja ever wake-up and think ...

Damm !! What river am I on :roll: ?

Ewwww .... where'd THAT come from :shock: ??

Huh ?!? Why am I naked :twisted: ?!!

Time is the enemy ..... bad brains are second - :P

David

Jgoding
06-24-2005, 06:54 AM
You know what I always say... better late then never... maybe I should adjust my calendar a month ahead....then I'll always be on time too...LOL

Man, I guess I better get my June flies done soon as well.... I promise to be on time for this one....

Jeff

Hairstacker
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Well, all I can say is, it was worth the wait!! :D Got the swap flies in the mail this morning and, must say, once again, another GREAT batch of flies! Was surprised by the number of patterns I wasn't already familiar with. But was especially surprised to see two sets. Turns out, Thom donated the extra box to my boys since they're learning to tie. Thank you so much Thom, I promise I won't keep 'em for myself and fish 'em, ha. They are going to be SO thrilled when they come home from school today, I can't wait! 8)

SullyTM
06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Yep...some things are worth waiting for. Mike, your kids can FISH these puppies :!: Take them bluegill fishin' and give those ants a try...

Geezus David, August? OK, i'm in!

Jgoding
06-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Hairstacker, nice lime trude. What kind of hackle do u use?? Cool body color as well. Very nicely tied on top of all that!

Jeff

Hairstacker
06-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Jeff, thanks(!!), I appreciate the kind words, especially from a tyer of your ability. :D The hackle is Whiting Silver-graded rooster saddle dyed brown (uh, it came that way, I didn't dye it myself, ha). The dyed brown is darker than natural brown to give it that coachman brown color, which I also plan to use for ants and royal coachman-type patterns. The most challenging part BY FAR for me was locating the ever-elusive lime (rather than chartreuse) floss, which I used for the body. 8)

Jgoding
06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks Mike. I always hate looking for those specific hard to find materials. And of course when you find them you can't stock up as the place only carries 1-2 units...

Jeff