PDA

View Full Version : I used to know how to fish!?

2short
05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Man! The Yuba kicked my can again yesterday (04mayo5). I've fished it a total of five times and I've been skunked four of them.

Is it always so difficult to wade? I checked the flows for yesterday they were between 2400 and 2500. Will the Yuba continue to run that high the rest of summer?

Any word would be appreciated.
later, 2short.

Adam Grace
05-05-2005, 11:09 AM
2short, The Yuba has a tendancy to baffle fishermen.

I have had more unproductive fishing days there than I have multiple fish days. Keep on fishing it because when it's on fire you can have a killer day full of healthy hard fighting trout or steelhead.

andanb
05-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I agree with Adam. The unproductive days are still good days, and when you hit it just right it is amazing. Those wild trout can't be beat for strength and tenacity. The summer flows for the Yuba drop down sinificantly. Wading is easier and the last hour of daylight is magic time.

Darian
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Interesting, isn't it :?: :?: Flows are high on the American above 3,000 CFS. While on the Yuba, it's high above 2,000 CFS :wink: :wink: .

Access is the problem for wading anglers, unless you're into hoofing it or in a boat/canoe, etc. If you're willing to tough it out, sooner or later you'll have a good day 8) 8) . In order to reduce the number of days it takes to have one of those memorable days, you would be well served to spring for a guided trip. The cost would be offset by complete access obtained and the reduced time it takes to learn the best flies and "spots" for good fishin'.....

Good Luck

Rob
05-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Fishing the Yuba can be a humbling experience. :cry:

I have landed one fish in the last 3 trips to the Yuba. :cry: :cry:

Knowing that there are big fish in the Yuba keeps me coming back again and again . :lol: :lol:

When I get skunked it makes me want to go right back and try it again. :?

I remember one BIG fish I worked for 45 min before I hooked it and 3 sec later he came off. This fish would come up and look at every fly I tost at him. I tried every streamer I had, but the only one he would take was a size 2 Lefty Deceiver; a fly meant for catching stripers. I had to use double hand retrieve in order to get him to grab it! THAT WAS FUN !!

Take care
-Rob

Rob

David Lee
05-05-2005, 04:02 PM
2short - I have had my hat handed to me on EVERY body of water I've ever fished at one time or another . Don't let it get ya down !!

Here's what you need to do .... STOP !! Examine every fly/depth/retrieve/time of day ... all that stuff . It sounds pretty stupid , but once you really know what doesn't work , you can work on the things that DO work .

Most will not believe me , but I think it's a very rare day when fish WON'T bite something ..... we just have to figure out WHAT the key (or keys) is . If a floating line isn't getting your fly where a fish is eating it , go to a sinking line . If presenting the fly upstream w/ no drag isn't getting any fish , try swinging downstream .... It sounds silly , but you'd be suprised at just how many people never think to change their approach !!

Sometimes , it's that simple . David

SullyTM
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
David, as always I file away bits and pieces of your observations. Good to see that you aren't to tired after the grind to drop a few notes of wisdom...Tying those foam uglies yet?

David Lee
05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Light week , this one .... only 38 hours (hang that 14 hour day $#@!) .

Think about what I said .... I always make it a point to review where I might have gone wrong - a good day is in the details , sharp hooks , good knots , proper line management , the "right "retrieve , knowing what you're doing when you are in the fight , It ALL comes into play . And , most important , be honest with yourself and any shortcomings you might have - if you break-off a lot , work on knots . If everyone around you hooks fish at 80 feet , get to work on your distance . If the fish are eating nymphs , and all you have are streamers (or dries) , you know what to do .

Simple stuff !! David
PS - haven't figured out what creepy bug yet , i'll work on a tye this weekend .

David Lee
05-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Just one more thing - NONE of this is pointed at ANYONE other than myself , this is just the way I cope with not gettin' 'em . I learned a long time ago , some days they bite , some days they don't ... The "days they don't" started becoming fewer after I payed a little more attention to my rigging/casting and what didn't work . I hope you didn't think I was scolding you , Thom ...... Just thinking out-loud again :oops: :roll:

See ya !! :mrgreen: David :mrgreen:

LostInTheFog
05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
This year, for the first time, my buddy and I are keeping a log of our fishing days: who caught what, on what, and where, what was the water temp, the air temp, the weather in general, were fish active, and how. If the topic comes up in conversation while we're problem-solving on the water, it gets entered in the log, including observations about ourselves: how we were casting, etc.

Its surprising the trends we're already noticing with just the little data we've collected this year.

When the day has been fruitless, the thing I keep telling myself, and that I offer now, is hang in there: it's the journey that counts.

Hairstacker
05-05-2005, 05:58 PM
David, sage advice, as always. I have found it to be very true in my bass fishing in the Delta.

I remember one day last year, I was stubbornly fishing topwater with my favorite deer hair bug for 2 - 3 hours with nothing to show for it. Switched to an olive woolly bugger and caught four within the hour.

Another time, I noticed one of the Delta pumps turned on and water started coming in through one of the pipes, stirring up the bottom. This attracted baitfish which in turn drew the bass. You could see them boiling the surface as they chased minnows out of the water. After a couple dozen casts with the popper and nada, I switched to a subsurface baitfish pattern (Clouser) and immediately started getting hits and catching them until the pump switched off and everything scattered.

Another time, I noticed some bass were hunkered down among boulders just below a spillway, gobbling any baitfish that got caught in the current and thrown over the spillway. Again, nothing with the popper. Switched to a baitfish pattern (again, a Clouser) and enjoyed fine action for the next hour, hour and a half.

Another time, I was fishing an inlet where I was sure there were bass chasing baitfish around the inlet. Only had deer hair poppers with me and they wouldn't hit it on top. So, I changed tactics and made the popper "swim" underwater with long sweeps of the rod tip. Hooked up immediately.

I tend to be stubborn about sticking with deer hair bugs, since I enjoy the topwater hit so much. But sometimes, I have had to be flexible or go home skunked. As an aside, I have found it particularly rewarding on those occasions when I've paid attention to something going on, adapted my tactics to it, and then found success. Doesn't get much better than that. So true what you've said David.

SullyTM
05-05-2005, 07:39 PM
David...Scolding me??!! Are you kidding? I have a saying: "Share what you know...Learn what you don't" I have only been serious about fly fishing and tying for about 2 years...I'm the one who feels like I can't hold my own with the veterans but so far no has EVER talked down to me. I'll say it again, the day I spent on the AM with you was more meaningful than catching 4 shad, 3 stipers and 6 steelies on the same day! Getting skunked is part of the lure of fishing for me.

Hey, I'm up in the 50-60 foot range on my 8 wt. and you know I'll get the proper sinking line on my 6 wt. Some guy I know gave me a nifty wader cinch belt so I can now retire my 15 year old belt! Heck, even Hairstacker has me thinking inflatable kayak...

Later...it's time to work on my Lefty's knot! Thom