PDA

View Full Version : Biot tails

Digger
05-04-2005, 10:37 AM
I've been having difficulty putting smaller biots in place for twin tails.
Does someone have the slick 'trick' for this?

I'm about ready to just glue them in place and then wrap the thread around them.

Thanks

SullyTM
05-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Digger...I've experienced the same problem. I like to use tweezers to hold the biot and then I angle the butt end about 15 degreesish inwards on the shank. A couple of loose wraps to get it stable and then a couple of tight wraps. Apply a drop of glue. Try that. Sorry, but I don't have picture posting capabilities but I'm sure someone who does will post some instructions. Have fun.

Darian
05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Digger,..... Not sure how small you're using but the best solution may be the one you suggested (gluing) :?:

In my experience, I've always built up a small ball of tying thread or body material at the bend area of the shank; then tie the biots in on each side. Seems easy to tie in that way and provides some separation... 8) 8) .

SullyTM
05-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Darian...Good tip. I'll try it also. However, you can't beat super glue. It's like duct tape, can't leave home without it!

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't use glue but I do make a small ball of thread at the bend. I then hold the pair of biots with concave sides facing out (very important to get them to splay outward) and tie a few thread wraps starting a little ways in front of the ball and working the thread toward the butts of the biots. Once there's enough thread wraps to keep them fairly stable, I tweak the butts up or down until the tips are aligned perfectly and in the right plane. I then wrap the thread tightly back toward the bend. Once the thread wraps get to the little ball of thread, the biots will flare out nicely. If at that point either biot is slightly out of position, I'll grab ahold of it and force it into position -- goose biots are pretty durable when it comes to tugging.

The only time I've found glue necessary is when using biots to create legs. The glue helps keep thread wraps in place as I move from leg to leg.

Biots have at various times almost driven me insane.

Darian
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Mike,.... Have you ever tried to tie a hedllgramite using biots for legs/tail (12-15 pairs on a 3X- 4X long hook :?: :?: Wrapping body material between each for segments... :?: :shock: . That's why I've turned out like I have :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 04:08 PM
12 - 15 pairs on one fly? I would have gone over the edge for sure.