PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks and Pontoons

Rob
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
The boys and I took the pontoons and my Kayak down the Yuba river. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/DSCN0003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/jasonyuba.jpg

Cody and I switched boats and we liked the Kayak better than the pontoons. :D 8)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/codypontoonyuba.jpg

With the Kayak you could move across the river easier. It was also easier to put in and take out.

The fly rod holder worked great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/rodholder.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Pontoon%20boats%20and%20Kayaks/KayakontheYuba.jpg
We did not fish from the Kayak or the pontoons.

I was impressed how well the Kayak did on the River.

I took it down the roughest water I could find and it handled great.

I did have some water come over the front and inside ,but not much.

The Kayak is 9' long x 30'' wide and 39 lbs.

Next trip we plan on doing more fishing.

We had so much fun with the boats we did not fish.

Take care
-Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Very nice..........

Did you have the people at Sycamore RV/Camp Ground shuttle your vehicle?

SullyTM
05-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi Rob.. I read with interest your posting about your "boats". I've been researching kayaks but have been relunctant to plop down any $$$. You said you haven't fished from it. Is it hard to fly cast from a seated position? I would like to be able to get around a local reservoir and I thought a kayak would be ideal. Also, I know that you can install a skirt aound the open section to prevent water from coming in...Thank you. Thom

P.S. Yes, always wear a life vest, even if you know how to swim.

Hairstacker
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Rob, sounds like you had a blast! I really like that rod holder on your kayak. 8)

Thom, you should seriously consider getting some kind of personal watercraft. It changed my fly fishing life over night, as it got me out on the Delta, instead of standing and struggling on the side of a levee -- a kayak will put you on the right side of weedbeds. Plus, you can park it on top of weedbeds. 8)

It does take a little practice at first to get used to handling a fly rod and a paddle at the same time. Wind and currents tend to move you out of position but, with a little practice, you can maintain orientation with one hand while casting with the other. I haven't found casting from a sitting position to be much of a problem as long as I don't try to cast far. I was reluctant to plop down big $$$ too, so I bought a $59 Coleman inflatable online at Wal Mart. My last Coleman inflatable kayak lasted two seasons, and I recently replaced it with another. (It might have lasted longer if I hadn't kept it stored in the trunk of the car full-time.)

SullyTM
05-03-2005, 01:03 PM
'Stacker...It does pay to talk about things on the Forum...Inflatable kayak...never crossed my mind! Don't your lungs get tired blowing it up?! HAHA...I notice the Rob's pontoons have motor mounts for an electric? That's a nice feature. Guess I'll be doing some kayak shopping soon.

Hairstacker
05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Lungs? I don't think so, ha. I use a double-action foot pump -- takes about 5 minutes, literally, to inflate the entire thing. Oh, and by the way, it came with the paddle. Here's a picture of it I previously posted on another thread, complete with fishin' pole, thermos, camera, and landing net. Like sitting in an easy chair. . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/kayakondelta.jpg

SullyTM
05-03-2005, 03:30 PM
...ahhhh, got a patch kit for holes? How strong is the material? 3mm, 5mm thick? I like the width of it. Looks stable. Thanks Mike.

Hairstacker
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Actually, the material is a lot sturdier than it looks in pictures. I know it looks like a balloon in the picture but it's actually made out of heavy gauge PVC --30-gauge PVC bottom and 23-gauge PVC top. I've slid over shallow rocks and submerged trees many times with no problems.

It has 5 air chambers -- one under the storage net, one on the bottom, one for the backrest, and two for the main chambers -- and valves that lock the air shut even without the tops on. Anyway, when my last one was reaching the end of its useful life, I fished out of it once with one of the two main chambers almost fully deflated. Was harder to maneuver that way, as it sat lower in the water, but had no worries about sinking. Use to patch it with pieces of vinyl and superglue -- worked like a charm. Problem was, like any vinyl, after many repeated cold and hot spells sitting in my car trunk, the vinyl started getting stiff and losing its elasticity -- it became susceptible to splitting at the seams at that point, which is exactly what it started doing. At the end, I kept patching it and it kept splitting. Finally gave up and bought a new one. But I got a LOT of use out of that first one. Enough to convince me it was a no brainer to get a new one.

It is VERY stable. I've leaned way over the sides in all directions many times while unhooking flies from tules, trees, logs, etc. Never even got a hint of tipping.

Ah well, not trying to sell it, just pointing it out as an inexpensive, extremely portable option. Having said all that, I'd like to get one like Rob's some day too. I'm sure Rob's will last many more than just a couple of seasons.

SullyTM
05-03-2005, 04:37 PM
...does it come in green? Red is not my style! $100 vs say $700-800...not even close! It all boils down to use. How many days are you going to use it? If I dropped $100 on an inflatable and it lasted say 3 seasons...then I'd say that was a good buy. Hmmmm, time to start dumpster diving for aluminum cans. Thanks for the report.

Hairstacker
05-03-2005, 04:50 PM
No, it doesn't come in green. I wish, ha. The first one was yellow with orange accents, then Coleman replaced those colors with red and black, respectively. I used mine about 40 times last year alone. If I seem hyped about it, I guess it's just because I've had such good times popping topwater for bass out of it. Anyway, if it wasn't one of these inflatables it would be something else -- I didn't realize how much I had come to depend on it until my last one started dying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/SpringPlans.jpg

Rob
05-03-2005, 04:56 PM
We had people from sycamore pick my truck up at the bridge and bring it down to sycamore for $15.00.

My Kayak can be bought at JB 3 outdoors 488-1099 on 2901 Arden wy in Sacramento for $280.00

http://jb3.com/store/store.asp?action=show_product&prodcode=29199

Fly rod holder was $18.00 and the flush mount was $9.00.

I did take a few casts for my kayak and it was very stable.

I plan on using it on lakes as soon as I can.

Take care
-Rob

SullyTM
05-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Rob...$280 is a good price for a kayak...I'm going to have to look closely at both.

Mike...what is the load limit for the inflatable? 200 lbs.? 300 lbs.? Do you pack an anchor? And finally, any problems deflating that puppy when you're done? That should do it folks. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2005, 07:47 AM
I think that making the move this spring to anything that floats would be a great experiense for many fly fishers.

Canoes, kayaks, pontoon boats, small prams, Jon boats or evem a float tube can get you to places that are very remote and different.

I started float tubing in the '60s but in 1975 I had a little fly shop where we sold the TP&L prams from Los Gatos. One shippment was 8 prams that we sold at one time.

This opened up a lot of new water to many of us.

http://www.kiene.com/images/hosmer.jpg

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Thom, it's rated for 295 lbs. No, I don't pack an anchor. Where I use it, I just tie up to tules or park on top of a weed bed when I want to stay immobile. Since it has such a shallow draft, it is very easy to scoot on and off weed beds. So sometimes I'll park it like that, fish everything that looks good within casting range, then move to the next parking spot. Great, relaxing way to fish. Takes about a minute to deflate. Half the air escapes as soon as you unplug all the valves. (The valves are big, not those little valves you find on pool float toys.) I then fold it in thirds and sit on it for about 20 seconds to take care of the rest. Leaving it folded in thirds, I then just pick it up and toss it in the trunk. Very quick and easy.

Bill, right you are. How often have we all longingly stared at water that we just couldn't fish well or at all because of shore access, no room for a backcast, we were on the wrong side, or we were separated from the good water by a swath of weeds on the water surface? Reminds me John Gierach once said that as you move up and down a stretch of water, you are on the wrong side 50% of the time. Makes perfect sense, since one side is usually better than the other at any given point. I have found this to be very true on the Delta sloughs I have become very familiar with. Based on catching experience, certain mini-stretches ALWAYS have fish that hit topwater during prime time, others NEVER do. More importantly, ALL of my favorite, most productive topwater stretches are unreachable from shore, period. Something to think about.

SullyTM
05-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Mike...Yes, the wrong side...always. My local neighborhood pond is fly casting prohibitive from shore. I flip the line. My local reservior has limited space on the surrounding docks...You can see my dilemma. 295 lb. rating is good. Your kayak is offered at Wal-Mart with a paddle for under $75.00. Hmmmmmmm, my son graduates from high school in 2 weeks...I wonder?!?! Thanks for all the information. But RED!!!!!!

smokeater
05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I have a white water inflateable made by AIRE(the same guys that manufacture Outcast). It's the Tomcat Solo, I have never fished out of it but the thought has crossed my mind. It's very stable and bombproof construction with heavy lash points from tip to tail. I have run the South Fork of the American, and used it to scoot around on the Lower American. I found it to be a very sturdy craft. The demensions are 10' x 3' with 12" tubes, 3 cells, self-bailing, and has 325lb capacity. I think they retail for about $500 but you can shop around on the internet and find them for much less. I paid $400 at Sierra Outdoor Center last spring. Maybe a bit more than what someone wants to spend on an inflateable kayak, but it will definitely last you longer than the coleman boat and handle the rough water with as well. It's a bit slow in the flat water sections compared to a hard shell but being able to deflate it is definitely a plus. Like I said, I have never actually tried to fish from it. I think I might give it a shot in the next few weeks. Can anyone offer any tips? I think it's plenty stable, and I watched this guy on tv the other day cast from his knees rather than from a seated position. Anybody want to hit the American reply here.

Hairstacker
05-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi Smokeater! You have GOT to fish out of that thing, the sooner you realize its fishing potential the better. Tips?

1. Goes without saying but will say it again anyways: ALWAYS wear a life jacket.

2. Attach a short section of rope within reach of where you sit -- it will enable you to tie up to tules, trees, etc., to fish an area without worrying about drifting around, and the rope will allow you to tie up when you disembark.

3. Take advantage of opportunities to "park" on top of weedbeds to fish a spot.

4. If there's current, learn to use one hand to maintain boat position with the paddle and the other hand to fly cast with. Don't bother stripping line, just use the rod tip to twitch and give action to the fly. With this method, you'll be able to drift and cast Clousers, woolly buggers, etc., toward shore as you drift, hitting all likely holes along the way. Your fly rod will have a sweet spot -- the amount of line you can have out from the rod tip that will enable you to pick the line up and, with one or two backcasts at most, lay it back down again and effectively fish flies using just the rod tip for action -- figure out this length of line. This will enable you to fly fish with one hand until you hook up.

5. Get that thing on the Delta for some topwater bass action!

If I think of anything else, I'll reply again. Have fun!

smokeater
05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey Mike, thanks for the info, and yes definitely going to be wearing a life jacket. Just for anyone who doesn't plan on a trip into the drink, no one who has ever drowned ever planned on doing so, and about 99% of deaths on water probably could have been prevented by the use of a PFD. I have thought about hitting the Delta sloughs. I work in Brentwood and could easily head out after shift change. The only thing that has me worried is being in a slow, low profile craft in an area where so many people like to hot dog around blind corners in their ski boats.

Rob
05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Mike

Thanks for the great info also!!

I hope to get out and do some fishing from my Kayak soon.

I did take it up river from Discovery park to Cal expo on the American river last saturday am.

I did not fish, I was just looking for striped bass.

I did see 3 nice fish .

All in water around 4-6 'deep.

Thanks again for all the GREAT info !!

Rob

metalhead
05-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Where did you put in and take out on the Yuba, nice photos

mark m
05-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey Mike,
I like your ideas, but #4-steering the kayak with one hand and fishing with the other hand. Once you hook a fish do you reel the fish and paddle to shore at the same time? I would think it would be hard to do both in a moving river.

Thanks
Mark

Hairstacker
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Mark,

Very good question. I do almost all of my kayak fly fishing in the Delta in sloughs with relatively minor tide and/or wind-driven currents, so it is not overly difficult to maintain the kayak's orientation to the bank with one hand as I drift and cast flies toward the banks. Every so many casts, I do generally find myself putting down the rod, and paddling closer to or further away from the bank, because a lot of times the drift will take you in a direction other than parallel to the bank. But once I hook up, I put the paddle down and focus on fighting and landing the fish. Mean while, I let the kayak drift to wherever it goes, which is generally not that far. Obviously, I do keep an eye out to make sure I'm not drifting into an overhanging branch or something else that's going to skewer me or the kayak. But I generally don't have to worry about that. This would certainly be something to weigh carefully, though, in a river with a faster current. In that case, you might have to alternate between paddling as necessary and fighting the fish. I agree, I don't really see how you could both paddle and fight the fish at the same time. I just haven't had to deal with that.

metalhead
05-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I use a WS Pungo 120 kayak which is very stable. I have just recieved a new PakBoat Puffin II, which is a folding kayak. I like to troll with streamer flies. I have attached a Scotty rod holder front and rear. Cabelas has a plastic driftboat style anchor system which will support up to a 20 lb anchor and fits in the Scotty rod holder base.

If I am going to fish a slow moving stream like the upper Putah Creek, I will just park my stern in the gravel and fish the riffle. On open water like a lagoon, or lake, I simply let the fish run and sometimes pull me until it gives up. The earlier comment about tying off to weeds and overhanging branches is an excellent suggestion. I have an SOS shorty inflatable vest that Bill sold me about 5 years ago, works great.

Rob
05-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey Metalhead

I'm sorry I did not see your post about where we put in and took out until today.

We put in at the bridge on the south side.

Our take out was at Sycamore Camp ground.

We had them shuttle our car down river. $ 15.00

Its not a long drift so fish as much as you can.

We hope to go again as soon as the river clears up.

We will have to take our time on the next trip because I have no idea what the river will be like after the high water.

My boys are both working now, so I'm always looking for someone to go with.

Take Care
-Rob

Hairstacker
05-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Kayak fly fishing tips part two:

1. If it's a reasonable option for the conditions and fish you're pursuing, stick with floating fly lines. They are much easier to control on the water, far less likely to get permanently snagged on the bottom in rocks, and you can just flip it behind you and drag it along when moving from spot to spot without having to worry about snagging it on the bottom.

2. Develop your sidearm cast so that you can confidently skip flies underneath overhanging branches of trees along the bank -- much easier to do with a sidearm cast than an overhead cast.

3. Give serious consideration to wearing long shirt sleeves and sun gloves in the summer -- I believe reflections off the water in the summer time make it more likely you'll burn to a crisp if you don't protect yourself.

4. Although you would think a longer fly rod makes it easier to keep your backcast off the water, etc., I have concluded it is better not to use a rod longer than 9'. Every so often, I will cast an excessively tight loop that causes a tangle at the rod tip. Much easier to extend the rod butt over the side without dunking the reel and fixing the tangle at the tip on a shorter rod. I do this at least 2 or 3 times on every trip. :oops:

5. Generally speaking, if you are parked on a weedbed, don't cast farther than necessary to be stealthy when fishing topwater for bass. Your casts will be much more accurate, it's easier and faster to cover an area in short order, and you'll have less slack to deal with when setting the hook. A nice bonus is that you'll be that much closer to experience the explosive strike that almost gives you a heart attack.

6. There are areas motorized boats can't get to. Find them. All else being equal, the fish will be less pressured, particularly in areas with limited and/or private shore access.

7. Place marks on your kayak with a sharpee waterproof marker or find some other means of using your kayak to measure/estimate the length of fish you catch -- far quicker and easier, both on you and the fish, than struggling with a tape measure while you're holding the fish.

8. Don't hang around in the middle of the water around blind corners and cuts unless you enjoy being a ramp for water skiers, bass boaters, etc.

9. When you first disembark from the kayak after being on the water for several hours, spend a few moments at shore regaining your sense of balance on your feet before navigating rough terrain, climbing levee walls, etc. You'll find yourself stumbling and falling less often.

10. Every so often, take a break, kick back, relax, have a cup of coffee, and soak in the view. I have found this to be one of the very nicest, therapeutic aspects of being out on the water in a kayak with a fly rod.