PDA

View Full Version : FISH ON !!!!!!

Jay Murakoshi
05-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Just got in from the beach and had a great final day with my first group of people. A great experience for everyone, since they have never fished the saltwater game.
Here's the report

The morning was beautiful with a great sunrise to ride out to the island too. Bait is getting harder to find for some reason but at least it's there.
After loading the bait tank, we head off south of Cerralvo island for a little warm up session on Skippes or Skip jacks for those of you who don't know the names. After a catch of three skippes we were of to look at the shark bouys for dorado, nothing today. So we headed to punta arenea to look for the jacks and roosters that were there yesterday. As soon as we drifted up, they were all around looking for something to eat so we obliged and threw out some sardinas. My first cast caught the attention of both roosters and jacks but the jack was faster to eat the fly, so off and running across the shallow beach flats. Got him to the boat and was 15lbs, give or take a couple ounces. Hook a couple smaller ones so after that game, we drifted the beach area looking and searching.
Boy, what we found would of popped out the eyes of rooster pescadero.
There was a school of about 30 jacks and roosters frantictly swimming.
Loreto our guide said GRANDE Pez Gallo. That's all it took, I was on the top deck of the panga, sore knee and all. He said throwing bait and on the second cast, I had a rooster following the fly and was stripping as fast as i could and watched the mouth open and turn.....FISH ON
He was out well over 250' and then turned and was swimming back towards the boat, with him he brought some buddies back from the deep.
Damn, they were alot bigger than what I had on. After the long figh with an 8 wt. he came to the hand. It was a 40+ pound rooster. The big ones stayed around wanting some lunch so we started feeding them and after casting to these swirling fish, I hooked into one of the BIG roosters and as faith would have it, when clearing the line it threw a loop around the butt end of the rod POP off goes the fish

My day ended with that. Couldn't spoil the thought of losing the big one.

The group went through 3 rods and a fly line today. One of them landed a 18lb jack and some large skippies. Most of them had the comment of
I've never had a fish take me into my backing or pull so hard to where I was sweating.

They leave in the moring and I plan on sleeping in tomorrow. Might rent a car on Wednesday and drive to some beaches or maybe wash my salt crusted clothes

Hope the stripers are in the American when I return

Jay

Hairstacker
05-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Jay, the group "went through 3 rods and a fly line"? You mean, busted 3 rods?

Jay Murakoshi
05-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Not busted, exploded rods. The line separated at the section where the head and running lines is bonded together. The 25' section just separated

Jay

Darian
05-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Jay,.... If thre one you caught was 40+ pounds :shock: , what's your estimate of the size of the one you lost :?: :?: :?:

David Lee
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Jay - a 40 lb. Rooster on an 8 wt. is one hell of a fish !!! Great job !

Darian - A little "rooster-envy" ??? :roll:

:twisted: David :twisted:

Jay Murakoshi
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Darian,

Loreto was estimating the one I lost was probably around 23 kilo's which is damn big. It's really amazing to see 10/15 huge fish swimming in one school. When the big rooster comb is up like a periscope and it's more than 15" in length, you know that's the fish you want.
Today is a day of rest and waiting for the next group to arrive.

I'll post Thursday's results

Jay

SullyTM
05-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Jay...I can almost here you screamin'!!! Your reports make for good reading. Keep us posted. thom