PDA

View Full Version : Persistence Pays Off at East Cape

bajafly
04-30-2005, 08:21 AM
For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com

USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373

East Cape

The weather over the last couple of days has been great. The wind and waves subsided for the most part and the inshore water is looking as good as it has for quite some time. Baja on the Fly Lance Peterson reported enthusiastically:

“I fished the beach hard yesterday (4/29), starting to the south and working my way back to La Capilla. I walked a few miles of beach and found few if any gamefish and very little bait for the most part, only small scattered schools of mullet and some decent gatherings of ballyhoo. I eventually spotted a pair of small jack crevalle on the prowl near La Salina. While I did not get them to eat, I was stoked to take a couple of casts at cruising fish. Hopefully, the gamefish will soon be on beach patrol and the spring season can finally kick in!”

[BotF Guide] Josh and Captain Juan on the panga “Mosca” have been working the inshore water with clients Phil Bryna and Al Tiggert, visiting from Anchorage. They have had a few roosters come up to the teasers and put on a good show. While the fish have not been numerous, they were enough fire up these hard fishing Alaskans. Both guys have hit the beach until sundown after their boat trips every day this week. Phil was even rewarded with his first rooster on the fly not far from the hotel . . . yes, persistence pays off when it comes to roosterfish. They are already talking about a return trip in June to continue their quest for the elusive pez gallo.

Offshore there continues to be striped marlin on the bite. Captain Ramon of the cruiser “Tres Hermanos” even reported a few sailfish in the spread yesterday along with the marlin. Sounds like a great time to try for billfish on the fly. A few of the Palmas boats could be seen flying tuna flags yesterday. A sign of things to come? The timing is right for the offshore fishing to really take off, let's hope it goes wide open!
However, on a sour note, by yesterday afternoon the wind had ramped up once again causing plenty of white caps and wind waves along the shore. Here’s hoping it flattens out this morning.

Report by Lance Peterson, Baja on the Fly Guide

Water temperature 69-78
Air temperature 62-89
Humidity 45%
Wind: NW 11 mph
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:46 a.m. MDT
Sunset 7:46 p.m. MDT

Magdalena Bay , Baja Mexico

Plenty of sun and wind is the story for Mag Bay. The giant squid continue to be the best thing going on the fishing front. Several boats spent a couple days pounding the Devil’s Curve zone with dismal results. I did hear some rumors of tuna 20 miles offshore, but with the wind and high seas, no one has been out to confirm the report.

Water temperature 62-71
Air temperature 66-75
Humidity 94%
Wind: Calm
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 6:51 a.m. MDT
Sunset 7:56 p.m. MDT

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

The blue water remains only five to six miles off the beach and the sea temperatures are in the 80s. All the conditions are in place for a great May, but the full moon hurt us a bit this last week.

The blue marlin bite is still is still strong, with three be taken in the best day this last week. At least one has been taken each day.

Roosterfish are showing again, with May be the traditional start of action for the hard fighting members of the jack family.

About two sailfish a day average, per boat, are being caught.

Baja on the Fly report by Ed Kunze

Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 77 - 89
Humidity 83%
Wind: WSW 8 mph
Visibility 5 miles
Sunrise 7:20 a.m. CDT
Sunset 8:06 p.m. CDT

San Jose, Guatemala

This past week we had the pleasure of hosting a couple of experienced anglers. The Lumadue party of three from Pennsylvania all took a turn using both conventional and fly-fishing gear to great success during their four days of fishing. The weather was nice. The run to the fish was about 40 miles, but once there they enjoyed periods of non-stop action.

Fishing guide and newspaper columnist Paul Bruun, Jackson Hole, Wyo., visited us in early March. Here is a link to his entertaining story of the trip and a good example of why hunters and anglers from all over the world subscribe to the little Jackson Hole paper:

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/PaulBruun.html

San Jose, Guatemala report by Brian Barragy and Lissa McFarlin

Water temperature 78 - 82
Air temperature 82- 86
Humidity 94%
Wind: SSE 11 mph
Conditions: Mostly Cloudy
Visibility 5 miles
Sunrise 5:41 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:19 p.m. CST

For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com
USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373