PDA

View Full Version : Bluegill - Mather Field?

SteelieD
04-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey all. I was thinking of taking my young son to catch some bluegill on the fly this weekend. :D Anybody been to Mather Lake? Any other suggestions? Of course, I'm not asking for your secret spots, but if you know of any other places along those lines, that would be great. I was thinking Mather 'cuz I'd like something easily accessible (it's been years since I've been there, but I remember it being pretty wide open) and hopefully successful! He may lose interest in 3 minutes or he may loose interest in 3 hours!
And what kind of set up? I got him a 3 wt with a floating line. Is that suficient?

Thanks!!!
Derek

Hairstacker
04-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Derek, yep, that ought to do. Just add a leader about the length of the rod tapering down to about 4X and tie on a size 14 hare's ear nymph. Just have him strip it 6 inches to a foot below the water surface in short 3 - 4" jerks -- it'll be hard to miss if they're in there. :D

Darian
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Steelie,..... You should have a good time there. The fishing is very good in the spring with Catfish, Bluegill, Black Bass. The Catfish/Black Bass can be pretty good sized. In order to Fish Bass, properly, you'll need a float tube or small pram to reach the tule's.

Otherwise. there's plenty of clear shoreline for Bluegill/Catfishin'. There's a nice picknicking area there, as well. If your son get's tired of fishin', he should be able to catch some frogs/crawdads or just goof off.... The facility is a county fee area but it's cheap....

The weather's supposed to cooperate this weekend. So, you and your son should have a great time.... I'm envious....

SteelieD
04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'll probably stop by the shop and let my son pick a few flies and head on out there. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully with some photo's! :D

Darian
05-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Here's a report on Mather Field Pond on Friday (mid-day).... Lotsa reeds, weed growth and floating weed beds/pads... 8) . Water fairly clear. Didn't see anything caught besides the Bluegill I caught.... Most people were fishing the bottom for Bass/Catfish with bait 8) .

The fish were in the shallows (spawning has commenced). Should be very fishable from a kayak or canoe, etc. :D Too many weeds for float tubes (for me that is :roll: ).

SteelieD
05-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks Darian. My son and I have yet to make it out there (despite the best of intentions :( ). We'll make it soon and have more to report!