View Full Version : New salt water patterns

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2005, 07:39 AM
From MidCurrent:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/chinnis_visesquad.aspx

Uncle Barry
04-28-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi Bill.
I read down the list, odd, people are always exploring, looking for the magical fly that even dead fish will eat.

Me, included.

BUT, in the salt, there are only two patterns that need to be purchase/made or carried, as they are all things to all fish, they are the Deceiver, in white or black.
And the World's most underrated fly, the Gurgler !
It can be used on a floating line all the way down to a quick sink line, in wee sizes to nice 6/0 real fly sizes.

Kind regards,
Barry.

SullyTM
04-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Barry...I just tied my first ever Deceivers and Gurglers in the past 2 weeks. The Gurgler in my opinion isn't a difficult fly to tie and it looks cool. The Deceiver is fun to tie because of the multitude of materials that can be interchanged. Clouser patterns are also very popular with many of the Forumites...Thanks. Thom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2005, 07:23 AM
Uncle Barry,

Tell us about some of the fishing down under?

Send us a picture and we will put it on your profile if you like.

Hairstacker
04-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the article Bill! Always interesting to read how accomplished fly tiers put their own signatures on a fly pattern with subtle changes and nuances.

I also want to try tying that fly titled, "The Jerk" -- I like how the hook point rides up due to the Clouser-style dumbbells and how the hook point is buried in the rabbit strip fur. By using the smallest-size dumbbells, I think this would be a really good fly pattern to work just under the surface over submerged weed beds for largemouth bass. :D

Jay Murakoshi
04-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Buenos diaz from La Paz, BCS.

Arrived late last night due to AeroCalifornia. We were 3 hours late getting out of LAX. I'm getting set up for the next four weeks of fishing. From the lastest reports, the winds have died down. I'm getting things set up for my group, which hopefully will be here by 8:30 tonight.

I will be posting daily fishing reports, that's if I'm not to tired from the days fishing. The weather is perfect. Sorry, I forgot my cable to the camera so no photo's until I return.

Later,

Jay M

Hairstacker
04-28-2005, 12:59 PM
4 WEEKS?!? Some folks have it too rough to even imagine. . . . Can't wait to read your reports Jay, good luck!!!

Uncle Barry
04-29-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi Bill and All.
Send you a picture, err, I don't like pictures of dead fish or fish hanging by their poor jaw,, yuk, its not me, sorry.
Yes, I kill fish, but only to be eaten, the rest just swim away to enjoy life killing another fish or creature, trust I haven't confused too many, humans out there.

So, what about a picture of a young Lady friend ??? vbg. Looks better to me that a fish.

About here in Australia, wow, the fishing here would start a 10,000 page book and still never finish, just like your country.

From the hot water to the cold, a adventure for all, if you allow yourself.
Now the only problem, well problems are.
You have to work, to pay for the toys and travel, which in turn reduces fishing time, too much fishing time then reduces work, which then does not allow you the travel costs and the new toys, arr, maybe the next life will be better.

We, here are always battleing Governments closeing up waterways, the ocean for national parks and green zones, followed by the pro netters trying to take, and kill all. And all the time the government experts and pro netter people do nothing to help our poor fish, just flap their jaws and ask for more money.

Here, the oceans and waterways are in fear of being loved to death, by all, which comes from, too many people with no enough water to play in.

The stocking of freshwater Dams is starting to over come some of the problems, in the warm water the might Barra rules, which is good and very bad.
Good because there is a chance you will encounter a monster of 24 -30kgs, 50 to 80 pounds, which is wonderful for those anglers who can afford the gear and afford to have it smashed up by a big Barra.

Then along comes Mr and Mrs Average, they too pay their way, pay for permits and want to catch a fish, BUT, do not fish enough or just cannot afford good gear, they get smashed, go home unhappy, this group, no matter what the so called experts say, represents 75%plus of Dam users.

Therefore it isn't fair, the subject is starting to reach chapter one of the book, better stop here, before anybody goes to sleep.
Kind regards,
Barry.

Darian
04-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Fishin'/politics, etc., down there doesn't sound that different than here. We have many of the same problems; with the exception of large Bara's. I guess human activitiesy really are the same the world over.... 8) 8) :roll: :roll:

Boris
05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
http://aussiefly.com.au/winners/images/3catfishoct03sm.jpg
http://www.aussiefly.com.au/winners/images2/barrytailorflyfishingsm.jpg

Darian
05-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Hi Boris,.... Great Pic's 8) 8) Any narratives to go with them :?: :?:

Boris
05-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Just a couple of pics of Uncle Barry from his own website.