PDA

View Full Version : MAY Fly Swap?

SullyTM
04-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Is there any interest in doing a May Fly Swap?? Or, we could take a month off and do one in June(My son is graduating from high school in May so I'll be semi-busy). I'm willing to give it a go as the host. Let me know. Thanks. Thom

Darian
04-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi Sully,.... I might be interested :? ; Depends on the type of fly pattern chosen.... :wink: :wink:

SullyTM
04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi Darian...I was thinking about dry flies(?), tier's choice(?). With the evenings getting longer and the days warming up dry flies might be fun. Thanks. Thom

P.S. Or, if a specific pattern(s) needs to be chosen then how about winged insects? Bees, ants, dragonflies etc.?

MSP
04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey Sully, I would be interested in a Dry Fly Swap. If that's the pattern of choice you can count me in.

SullyTM
04-27-2005, 10:38 AM
MSP...All it takes is one! I'll consider the May Swap a GO! I'll wait a few days to see who is interested and then sort out deadlines etc... I'm thinking about an Ant pattern or Damselfly...Of course, that'll probably change...Thanks. Thom

Hairstacker
04-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey Thom, I'm interested as well but will wait and see what type of fly you all settle on. May opt out though, as I want to start tying for shad season, which is right around the corner. 8)

Hairstacker
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Actually, re-reading the posts, it sounds like you've settled on a dry fly swap. Is that so?

SullyTM
04-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Mike...Yes, I'm leaning towards a dry fly tie and if you want to beg out no problemo. You've done the first 3 and besides there will be more and catching a few Shad sounds good. I tied some Wet Pinkys for Shad...Just need to get to the AR when the water gets warmer. David wants to here me sreaming! Thom

SullyTM
04-28-2005, 06:51 AM
I reviewed the posts from the past Fly Swaps and I thought if I were more specific that would help. DRY FLYS for Trout Fishing. Now, that brings in a wide range of ties...MSP and Darian look to be interested. Maybe Hairstacker. How 'bout we make DECISION DAY Monday, May 3?

SullyTM: Ant or Damsel pattern

Keep in mind that there is no obligation to participate...Everyone needs a break(even David).

Enjoy the rain!!! Thom

Darian
04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Sully,.... Put me down for Stimulators.... 8) .

This out to be fun.... :D :D

SullyTM
04-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Darian: Stimulator
Thom: Cascade Ant - size 12

Who's next?

Jgoding
04-30-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm up for May. Thought about a mayfly for May, but maybe a caddis or Daves' hopper... I have to think about it. May is going to be busy busy though....

Jeff

David Lee
04-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Thom - put me down for something foam , big , and terrible (I don't tye/fish dries , so I don't want to hear any crap about my huge mutant bugs , you guys ..... :twisted: ) .

David

SullyTM
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
OK...now we're cookin' with grease! David, something "terrible". I love it!
Jeff, by all means take break if you have to. Heck, someone has to go out fly fishing!

Thom/Darian/David/Jeff definites. MSP and Hairstacker maybes...Don't anyone feel like they need to participate if your plate is full...thom

I'll do a final tally Monday evening May 2.

David Lee
04-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Put Hairstacker down for Lime Trudes ..... That's the only way I'll ever get one of those little suckers outta him -
:twisted: :twisted: David :twisted: :twisted:

MSP
04-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey Thom, I've decided to tie a BWO Parachute for the May swap. I figure a swap in May should include a Mayfly or something close! :D Are they really a May fly? Who cares, someday they might work! :D

SullyTM
04-30-2005, 08:12 PM
David...You are an sly devil. Guess what Hairstacker? You're in! MSP I like that you're tying a BWO. It's something I've always wanted to tie but never have...Any newbies what to give it a whirl? I'm going to hold it to 10 tiers if that's OK with everyone?

P.S. If you have access to the Sunday Contra Costa Times they are running an article on the declining Delta fish population. Should be interesting reading... It will be available on their website I'm sure.

Back to the vise......

Hairstacker
04-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Ok, I'm in and Lime Trudes it is. :lol: :lol: :lol: That's what I get for playing around with shad flies instead of keeping track of what's happening on this board. By the way, I've never tied a shad fly before so I've been experimenting with different combinations of materials and colors. All I've heard is chartreuse, red, purple, or pink, very flashy, size 6 hook, so that's what I'm teeing off of. Maybe some of you experienced shad guys can tell me if these'll work. Here's the first experiment:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/shadfly1.jpg

Here's the second experiment:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/shadfly2.jpg

Any helpful suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks!

David Lee
04-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Mike !!! - Only two colors you have to deal with ....... Light Pink , and Chartruse - A short tag of Glo-Bug yarn , body of Diamond Braid , and Lead of bug eyes ....

That's it !! Have fun , go fishing !!!! David

SullyTM
05-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Limes Trudes...Sounds like a Yuppie drink! But they look like killer flies! Do the work on carp? The May Swap looks like this:

SullyTM: Cascade Ant
Darian: Stimulator
Hairstacker: Lime Trudes...hold the lemon
MSP: BWO Parachute
Jeff: Caddis or Dave's Hopper
David: Something Foam, something terrible

OK...this is a good lineup. There still is room for 4 more! Any takers?

Final results will be posted Monday evening...

Hairstacker
05-01-2005, 01:24 PM
David, that's it? -- Just a tag on the end, diamond braid-wrapped body, and lead eyes? Sounds too good to be true! :lol:

Thom, Lime Trudes are killer flies -- I recall reading they are the catching-est fly of the Jackson Hole, Wyoming One-Fly Contest. (You know, the one where you compete by pre-selecting and using only one fly the entire time you fish the tournament.) That definitely caught my eye, as I need all the help I can get. :lol: I ended up searching high and low (like 5 fly shops!) for just the right floss and hackle for this pattern.

Darian
05-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Mike,..... Good looking Shad flies 8) 8) . You can't beat chartreuse, orange and pink for general color choices. There're so many variations of patterns utilizing these colors that the best advice is, probably, pick one and go fishing :D :D . Stick with whatever color is catching 'em at any given time 8) .

Altho I've never tried it, some people use dry, skating Caddis patterns in the late evening, succesfully, for Shad 8) 8) 8) .

Like in all other types of fly fishing, I carry more patterns than I use consistently :roll: but they all have some touch of the colors mentioned with flash in combination. There is one caution.... I've only known one pattern to use gold bead chain eyes or hooks in them for Shad and the only place I've seen it used was in the Russian River. Stick with nickel, pearl and silver for ribbing, eyes and hooks (bronzed hooks are OK)... 8) .

My primary patterns are the Green Weenie and Bowstring... :D :D .