PDA

View Full Version : Flying visit to Yuba

NobbySC
04-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Bill recommended I post a message requesting ideas/suggestions for fishing the Yuba.

I am at a conference this weekend in downtown Sacramento from Charleston, SC. Making arrangements to get a couple of days fly fishing on the Yuba (Sun & Mon).

I have some limited experience of dry fishing in the small streams of the Sierras and nymphing in mountain streams of North Carolina.

The plan is to wade the river and I would welcome any suggestions for good spots for a first time visitor.

Thanks

Rob
04-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Hey

Could we please leave the girl photo's off this site.

thanks
Rob.

Nip Hadlock
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Rob;
I'll 2nd the motion.
Nip

Gregg
04-26-2005, 09:39 PM
yeah, I find them extremely offensive as well. Maybe just forward them on to me and I'll make sure they are disposed of properly. Especially the bikini ones. Just disgusting... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the Yuba goes, from Roseville hit 65 north (it will eventually merge into hwy 70). Follow the signs to HWY 20 toward Grass Valley and you will eventually hit the bridge. Pull off just after the bridge and 4 wheel it upstream. You will hit plenty of quality water along the way. Everything works from nymphing (birds nests always do well), swinging (olive buggers and zonkers on a sinking leader) to dries (these are secret. you have to buy them from Bill to be in the know! :D ) The Yuba is fantastic and should be good for the next few days. Good luck!

Rob
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks NIP. :lol:

We don't need any girlie photo's here.

Way too much of that stuff already out there. :twisted:

Take care
-Rob

Darian
04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Am I missing something :?: :?: I don't see any "girlie pictures" here :? . I'm assumming that this was an avatar that somehow offended.... Whether that's the case or not, don't know how to be diplomatic about this.... Sooo,....

I'd like to suggest that critical comments about banning individual avatar's be directed to Eugene or Bill (Moderators) in the form of an instant message or E-mail and not made in postings for the world to view... 8) 8) . We shouldn't be ambarassing new visitors to this site 8) 8) . You can still have your say but it shouldn't be in public view.

Interestingly enough, only one of our community volunteered info to help this person. In this case we may have turned off a first time visitor.....

Hairstacker
04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey Darian, I would've helped, 'cept I figured he wanted to hear from someone who'd actually been there. :lol:

Adam Grace
04-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I agree with Darian.

I would also like a copy of these girllie pictures sent to me as well :lol:

denny griffin
04-27-2005, 12:10 AM
FRom Sacramento, head to Marysville, then take Hwy 20 east toward Grass Vally. About 15 miles out you will hit the bridge across the Yuba. You can pull off to the right just before the bridge and drive down a paved road where you park and walk down to the river. From this point you can fish above the bridge or below it. You can also drive across the bridge, take the first right and drive down the river along a gravel road. If you are a first timer, I would not recommend this option. In my opinion, the other side of the river is just as good, with good water that will be easier to find. About 6 miles before the bridge you will pass Sycamore Camp Ground on the right. You can go in there, pay a daily fee, and drive to within a quarter mile of the river.Then fish either up or down river.
Stop at Keinies and they will tell you what flies are best.
A couple of words of caution. Watch out for the poison oak. Also, wading the Yuba is like walking on ice boulders in most places. They are slick and they roll when you walk on them.Make sure you use your wading belt. Good luck. Enjoy it.

MSP
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
NobbySC, you may want check the flows before you go. They raised the river to 2723 cfs. I have never fished it when it's been that high, so I don't know if it's fishable or not. Has anyone out there wade fished it when it's this high? I would imagine the water clarity would be fine.

Darian
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Many years ago, when the flows were high due to late rains, I fished the Yuba in the "Hallwood" area for Shad and had one of the best days ever :D :D . Water was high (in the willows), cold and slightly off color.... 8) I thought we'd be wasting our time but caught/released a fish on an avrage of every other cast. :shock: :shock: Best part was that my fishin' buddy and I had it all to ourselves. :D :D :D :D

I've had many Trout hook-ups in that area while fishing for Shad..... 8)

NobbySC
04-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure about the girlie pictures though?

Nip Hadlock
04-27-2005, 09:57 PM
NobbySC,
There was a user who posted with an avatar that a couple of us objected to. The post has since been deleted so it seems a bit confusing. As a user you can go back in and remove a post if you like.
I had objected to a moderator back when the same avatar was used several weeks ago...when there was no response to the concern I posted on the BB...
Sorry that the confusion and drama is included in your thread. Your getting some great info...
Nip

Rob
04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
NobbySC

I also apologize for the confusion.

My sons and I and other young men look at the BB.

My boys I have the apportunity to teach some young men in our church how to fly fish every July.

I have recommend this site to them to check out.

I make it a point not to check out any other women but only my wife.

I feel the photo was not appropriate for me or the young men I would like to visit here.

That was the reason for the post

I hope you have a great time fishing the Yuba river.

Here are a few Photo's of my sons and some Yuba fish they have landed using a green zonker like Gregg recomended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/DSCN0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/codysbigfish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Dscn0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/1c23f345.jpg
Sorry again If my post was confusing or seemed Rude.

Take care
-Rob

Adam Grace
04-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Rob you're a very nice guy with great kids and you all slay Yuba trout with those olive zonkers.

Thanks for your fun pictures, they really add to this board.

Rob
04-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks Adam

The boys and I miss seeing you at the shop. :(

You have always been a GREAT sourse of F.Fishing info.. :shock: :shock:

And a lot of fun.

Hope to see you soon.

take care
-Rob