PDA

View Full Version : Any new steelhead reports?

Jgoding
04-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone has been fishing for the half pounders on the American or not? It seems like it's been pretty slow lately with the flows and the weather being what they are.

I did have one hookup Thurs. the 21st but it was the only fish we saw rising that evening and in a side channel no less. Other than that, there was zero fish activity on the river that we could see. Lots of caddis flying around but none were hatching. Lost the fish after it's fourth or fifth run and jump. Bright chrome fish and strong as S$%#.

Jeff

MSP
04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey Jeff, I fished it a couple of times last week with not much luck. Lots of caddis emerging from 10:00ish till around 3:00 when I left. I got one fish on a Fox Poopah and that was all. Just a couple of rises last time out on Thurs. You're right about the flows kinda screwing things up, at least at my favorite haunts. Hopefully things will change or the fish will just start being more cooperative. Good luck, I'll post a report the next time I'm out.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
If we get some warm weather I would fish from 3pm till dark upriver from Goethe Park to Sailor Bar with some caddis imitations.

CW
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Fished the last three weekends for shad unsuccessfully. First two weekends - got one half pounder each trip, on caddis imitations trailing my shad fly, this past Saturday, had my tail handed to me. Getting a sucker here and there, better then nothing I guess ....

Adam Grace
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
CW, you need to get Ray off of the oars :lol:

I have heard that the springers are in the Feather River. Some of the guides out of Fish First, Hogan and Ryan have been guiding thier clients into fish. Ihave not heard of a report from this last week but before that they were catching those spring run steelies.

I hope to fish the low flow soon, it's only about twenty minutes away from my new place. I just have to pry myself away from the easy pickings of the popper chomping bluegill.

Jeff Edwards
05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey Adam,

I am finally getting out fishing this weekend. I will be on the Feather this Sunday hunting the Springers. Want to meet up some where?

Jeff Edwards

Adam Grace
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Sound like a good idea.

I'll PM you.

Jeff Edwards
06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Hey Adam,

Sorry we didn't meet up the other week. You didn't miss anything. Four of us went out on Sunday and it rained like hell on us for most of the day. At 2:30 we decided to call it quits. I was the only one with a grab. Oh well thats fishing for ya.

I'd like to get out again soon. I need to get away from the Bay area or I'm gonna go nutz.

Jeff

steve sullivan
06-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Hey Adam,

Sorry we didn't meet up the other week. You didn't miss anything. Four of us went out on Sunday and it rained like hell on us for most of the day. At 2:30 we decided to call it quits. I was the only one with a grab. Oh well thats fishing for ya.

I'd like to get out again soon. I need to get away from the Bay area or I'm gonna go nutz.

Jeff

Fish up by the hatchery, that is where I have been getting all my grabs at. Preety slow fishing for me tho, 1/2 days I will get skunked, and those days that I do get lucky I am lucky to get 2 fish, mostly it is just 1 fish or a LDR. Caught a nice 5 pound springer last week and a 26 inch chromer.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-04-2005, 09:01 AM
The low flow on the lower Feather River could be a good spot in the AM and PM?

steve sullivan
06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi Bill, I usually am not on the river really early or late, so I couldnt really tell you :?:
I can tell you over the last 2 weeks I have been out 4 times, and every time I had a hookup. 3 out of the 4 hookups were on dry's, and that was the first time I tried fishing dries for steelhead. One fish took a size 18 parachute adams on a tmc dry, I set the hook, took my left hand off the reel to let him run, he ran, and he was immediately off. I checked my hook to see if it was bent, and the whole curve of the hook was missing!! And this was on a high end tmc hook!!

I am having no luck in the fast riffles and waters that I would think were really "steelheady", but instead am catching them in the "frog" water.

What tippet do people use for dry fly fishing for spring run steelhead? I am using 3.8-4 pound tippet, is this too heavy?