PDA

View Full Version : Ken Hanley with Striper - 4/22

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2005, 07:59 AM
http://www.kiene.com/images/hanleyAR.jpg

Ken Hanley got this beautiful fresh-run 18 pound Striper on 4/22, this Friday with top lower American River drift boat guide Mike Bias.

http://www.setsetset.com/

SullyTM
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Ken...Now I know what you were screaming about! NICE! What fly did you use? Good thing I wasn't asked to take the pix...Probably would have dropped the camera...Good meeting you, Jay and Mike...Next time It'll be me holding the big enchillada! Thom

k.hanley
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks Thom. I was fishing with a small green-over-white clouser (1 1/2 inch length). The river is loaded with salmon fry and some smolt.
Cheers, Ken
PS: 8-weight oufit, 250 grain sink tip line.

Mike McKenzie
04-25-2005, 08:04 PM
:D :D Atta' boy Kenny!! I knew you could do it!!!
Mikey

Adam Grace
04-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Nice fish Ken!

I would be whoopin and hollerin too if I had that hog at the end of my rod.

I'm glad to hear that you and Jay had fun out there with Mike. Mike's a fun guy to fish with.

SullyTM
04-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Ken...Keep on screamin'...It's healthy! Have you ever used a Gurgler pattern? I tied a couple of them last night. They are used on top of the water. Do stripes like things that float? Thanks. Thom

Hairstacker
04-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi Thom! I don't know how effective they are on top relative to other approaches but it seems to be Lee Haskin's favorite way to pursue them. Lee sells a line of gurglers for this purpose:

www.gurglersonline.com/aboutlee.html

SullyTM
04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Mike...submitted this in error

SullyTM
04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Mike...Gurgs are relatively easy to tie. Not to many materials involved. I found white craft foam at Michael's for 79 cents a sheet(1/8" thick). I used Michigan roadkill bucktail and some Krystal Flash with a grizzly hackle. 2/0 hook to start with. Now, I just have to use them! Thom

Hairstacker
04-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey Thom, that sounds like a nice tie! Be nice to see a picture of it. I'll bet it'll work just as well for largemouths too. :D

SullyTM
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Mike...I'll post a report on their effectiveness after this weekend. A neighborhood pond will be the testing ground(water)...I realize that a digital camera is needed...with kids and all the 35mm is becoming obsolete...Funny story: I lost out on a digital at a company function I couldn't attend because I had to hold down the fort at the studio. Well, there are 2 Thomas Sullivan's at the company and when the name was called it was first come first served! Thom