PDA

View Full Version : SAGE Xi2 or SCOTT S3S

john
04-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I need some help/opinions/food for thought. I've decided to get a new 10wt mostly for medium size tarpon. My current rod is a Sage XP, which I do like but I'm looking for a rod that has a bit "stonger" butt section and larger guides,esp the tiptop. I got a chance to cast an Xi2 at a show last month and fell in love. Not sure if it's really slower than the XP, but I at least had more feel with it. Now I find myself with a Scott certificate. They're lovely rods with an apparently great rep. and I'd like to consider a S3S, but I won't have an opportunity to cast one. Can someone offer a side by side comparison?

Darian
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd bet either rod will meet your requirements.... 8) 8) .

I don't have a lot to offer in the way of comparison but if I understand your note correctly, you have a gift certificate for a Scott rod :shock: :D :D . It seems to me that you have the opportunity to purchase two rods for the price of one..... :idea: :idea: I'd get the Scott. If it doesn't meet all of your needs, buy a Sage 8) 8) .

Hairstacker
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
John, if you haven't done so, I recommend you post your question on Dan Blanton's board as well -- www.danblanton.com. There's a lot of extremely knowledgeable, friendly saltwater fly folks there.

Adam Grace
04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Both rods are great. The Xi2 is slightly faster than the XP. The S3S is also a fast action rod which helps in windy situations like salt water fishing. You have a certificate for Scott, give the S3S a try. A couple of the guys at Kiene's like thier S3S rods and I think that they feel good.

PaulC
04-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey John,
I haven't fished the Scott rods, so i can't give a comparison. But, the Xi2 rods are definitely top notch. I have a 6wt for corbina and general surf in the summer and a 10wt for larger game in Baja, etc. Both are faster action than the XP rods. I was borrowing a friend's reel and was unknowingly throwing 300 grain on the 6wt and it threw it as well as my 8wt 9'6" RPLXi.
In the end, the rods are expensive as sin so I'd go with what fits your budget. I tend to break my rods in the surf now and again (big leopard shark blew up my 8 wt last time). I don't know about Scott's repair policy but Sage has had my rod back in hand within a couple weeks.
Other rods which may be worth a looksee are the TFO rods.
Definitely more affordable and alot of guys are using their TiCRX series in the surf out in So. Cal and Baja with alot of success. They also seem to have a good repair policy.
-Paul

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2005, 08:26 AM
The Sage 'XI2' is world wide the top pick by most serious salt water fly fishers.

I would say that the Scott 'S3S' and the G.Loomis 'GLX Cross Current' are right behind them.

The best way to pick any fly rod is to cast the ones you are interested in.

If you live anywhere near our shop or another shop that carries most all the brands, you can come in and put a reel and WF11F line on them all and give them a try.

It is mostly about fitting your casting style so you can deliver the fly to the fish most efficiently.

I would recommend going up one size on those lines for what ever 10 weight you get. Get a WF11F, WF11S clear slow sinking and a Deep Sea 300 or 400.