PDA

View Full Version : Salmonflies on the yuba?

Jasonh
04-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Has anyone who has fished the yuba recently run across any salmonflies, nymphs and or dires? If so has anyone ever tried fishing them for trout. I noticed a few last year and a couple of nymph carcasses this year but have yet to see any in the bushes. Just curious is all.

Jason Hartwick

Rob
04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
We saw salmon flies on the Yuba 3 weeks ago.

This was the first time I have seen them on the Yuba.

Here are the photo's I took of of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Bugs/DSCN1444.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Bugs/DSCN0012.jpg

Darian
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
I've been fishing the Yuba (off and on) for about 25 years and seen some very large/dark stonefly nymphs/shucks all of the years I've been there.... 8) 8) I never took the time to ID them but always thought they were Salmonfly Nymphs. Never saw an adult, tho. :? :?

It figures that they are there and that large, black (or dark), rubber legged flies work well up there..... :D :D

OregonSalmon
04-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Fished the "Yuban" for years and I don't think I ever saw a salmonfly. Ate some golden stones, but never et' a salmonfly. And for all you youngsters out there, don't eat any member of the larger stoneflies for their legs are full of barbs and no matter how much you chew them up or attempt to wash them down with beer, they will be stuck in your throat all day long. Don't know how trout do it.
I didn't think salmonflies existed on the Oregon coast, one crazy old timer said they did, dismissed him because of his slurred speech and ZZTop beard style, but low and behold, from the crik' out back, emerged a dandy speciman. I had to apologize to my ZZTopper, but still will argue his point that mayflies are termed that since they only hatch in May. Oh, and they all are a bright green. Think he MAY owe me a beer on that one.

Time to split some wood and work on my horseshoe game. Life in the Hills: reverse evolution. My bathing habits have certainly regressed as my choice of beer swilling company.

Darian
04-21-2005, 02:57 PM
OS,..... If you wanna change your beer swilling company for the better, just do what the ZZ Top song says and, "....get yourself some cheap sunglasses" 8) 8) 8) . Of course, a shower would, also, help :shock: .

By the way, does your friend drive a car he calls Cadzilla :?: :?:

OregonSalmon
04-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Darian,
A shower??? Have a foggy recollection of those but the rare honor to bathe here is in a parallel position in an iron container. I sure could use some better beer companions; yesterday at the junction, the talked turned to the size of local rats. Yips. Big as cats I hear. Big trees, big clouds, big fish, and big rats.