PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River Fishing and Camping

Ueyama
04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
I have never fished the Yuba River, but have been seeing numerous posts and pictures from others. I have looked at numerous maps, but do not know where to begin. I hear people mention the bridge. Is this HWY 20 crossing the Yuba River. If so, would I fish down river of this? How is the water down river and where are some good spots to have access to?

Another thing, is there any overnight camping in this area? Wanting to spend a night up there.

I fish Putah Creek religiously every weekend and the flows have come down dramatically to 462 CFS. It was about 1000 CFS a week and a half ago. The water is quite fishable, but be careful. This is the best time to hit Putah before the bait fisherman ran sack it. Landed 4 small ones and lost 2. My buddy landed a larger 18"er. We normally use 3-4 primary flies, all size 16-20, flashback pt's, princes, micro mays, zebra midges, but I got each fish on a different fly and not primarily one fly.

Hope you can answer my Yuba question? Thanks.

rrivera
04-20-2005, 07:58 AM
We'll start with HWY 20 going towards the Yuba River bridge....

As you get on 20 and travel for about 7-10 miles, there will be a 76 station off to your left. Take 20 down for about 200 yards and off to your right will be Sycamore Ranch.

This will be your first chance at some trouty water on the Yuba using thier camp site. There is a small daily fee for access (8 bucks I think). There are also camp sites w/ parking for about 25 to 35 bucks a day. You'll pay at the main store as you get in the gate.

If you have a 4x4, you can cross the creek and follow the path right (200 yds) to the river. The flow will be river right, there will be about 3 to 400 yds of fishable riffles there. You can walk river right, cross the creek, and fish some more.

If Sycamore does not appeal to you, then travel about 12 miles down 20. If you travel too fast, you'll miss the first exit, right before you cross the bridge. This access (River Right) is the most popular due to more access below and above the bridge. There is no camping on that side.

Crossing the bridge and exiting to the right to access the Yuba will eventually take you to an access road that was recently opened up a few years back. BE VERY CAREFULL HERE..!! Property owners are pretty anal, so stay away from parking on anything to the left of the road. Plenty of water to access river left. But, saftey, and a healthy 4x4 is paramount...!! Cell phone reception is sparce, and help will be hard to come by. So be prepared. I see people parked and camped on the right side of the road.

So pick your spot, be safe, wade carefully (Flows are up but fishing is good), and have a good time.

Hope this helps.....Ray

Ueyama
04-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks a lot for the valuable information. I greatly appreciate it, Ray.

Mike