PDA

View Full Version : Scott A2

SteelieD
04-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi all... anyone have any experience with the Scott A2 rod? I just bought a 9' 4 piece, 4 weight as I was looking for something lighter and more travel friendly for hiking to mountain streams (there is a good chance I'll be relocating back to Colorado soon!). I don't know alot about the rod, but Scott has a pretty good name and the price was way too good to pass up.

I'm thinking of matching it up with a Galvan OB reel and maybe lineing up one as this rod (according to the marketing literature) is a little faster than I'm used to.

Thanks!
Derek

PatrickM
04-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Derek, I just got a 9'6" seven weight A2, which I used for the first time on the Lower Sac last weekend. I really dug it, and don't think you can do much better for the money. It's definately a bit slower than other fast action rods, such as the Sage XP or Scott S3, so I don't think there's any need to get a heavier line weight. Of course, if you're going to be fishing mostly small streams at close range, then maybe you would want to line up. If you can, try both weights of line on your rod and see what feels best for you before you buy one.
Hope that helps.

Adam Grace
04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I really like the A2 series. They are a very nice mid-priced rod with a very good "feel"

I would not overline an A2 unless all you are going to do is cast to about 25-30" all the time. The A2 is not a very fast rod, it has power but I think the suggested line weight should be perfect.

Good choice of a rod!

SteelieD
04-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel better about the purchase. As I did it on a whim, I wasn't sure. But hey, always can use another right?! :D