PDA

View Full Version : GPS System

Gregg Machel
04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Does anyone here use a GPS system to keep track of where you are fishing and how to get back? I'm looking for one for this and also to use in my car too.

Any recommendations?

Darian
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Gregg,..... There're a number of portable combo's (sonar, GPS) on the market. I recently bought a Lowrance, model M68. It has a color screen, can be handheld or mounted, has multiple screen display capabilites, easy to install.... 8) 8) You can pick up larger screen models if that's what you need. 8) 8)

Almost all of these color screen things are worth the cost for the functionality. :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-14-2005, 11:10 PM
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/gpsVpic2.jpg

The GPS V is one versatile navigator that delivers automatic routing, detailed mapping and WAAS capability — all in a compact handheld GPS. It comes with the MapSource® City Select CD, which gives you access to detailed street-level maps with locations of restaurants, hotels and other services. Use the GPS V to look up a location and it will automatically calculate a route and guide you to your destination with turn-by-turn directions and audible beeps that alert you to upcoming turns. You can even switch the display from horizontal, for mounting on a bike or a vehicle dash, to vertical for handheld use.

Suggested Retail Price: $321 USD

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Gregg,

When you go to Montana this summer you can mount a combo 'sonar/gps' on the dash of your Dodge truck so when you ford a stream you can see if there are any fish in it?

http://fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0410_powr_01_s.jpg

Gregg Machel
04-14-2005, 11:40 PM
That definately sounds interesting. Do those really work that well? I mean, how can GPS tell if there are fish in the water? I'll have to read up on the Sonar portion of this. I have some research to do!

David Lee
04-14-2005, 11:43 PM
I still trust the moss growin' on the north side of rocks to find my way . It don't cost so much , and I don't need a book to sort it out . :twisted: David :twisted:

Hairstacker
04-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I must say, I think it is totally appropriate that I now refer you to my "Quote of the Week" below. :lol:

Gregg Machel
04-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Well what if you wander south of the equator by accident? You will be all messed up then because the moss will be on the south side of the trees. You'll find yourself in Antarctica wishing you would have had that GPS system then!

David Lee
04-14-2005, 11:50 PM
BULLPUCKEY - I've NEVER been lost .... I'm always where I am .

That don't sound right :roll: , Ahhh , well , fish tomorrow !! David

David Lee
04-14-2005, 11:54 PM
There are fish down there , right ??

Let's see ..... what's a good Krill fly ? David

PS - speakin' of the true south .... You guys need to see Guy's photos from his trip to Antarctica .... there are some neat Penguins I didn't know about (not much call for Penguin knowlege here in Sacramento :roll: )

Darian
04-15-2005, 10:52 PM
MY, MY, MY,..... Absent from this board one day and look what happens.... :roll: :roll:

Moss on rocks, Krill Flies, GPS in the southern hemisphere..... :?: :?: :twisted: Actually, there are fish below the equator but they swim counter-clockwise. 8) 8) 8)