PDA

View Full Version : Sea Habit tutorial?

Blake
04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Anyone know of a good fly tying tutorial for the Sea Habit fly on the web?

David Lee
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Blake .

I think Jay Murakoshi has something on it ... since that's his "signature" fly . It might be a Emailable attachment or something like that . I'm sure Jay will pipe up here in a while .

David

Blake
04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
That would be awesome. Also, has anyone tried out the Marc Petitijean Magic Heads? What do you think? Are they everything theye are cracked up to be? The concept makes sense I just didn't know if in reality they really worked.

David Lee
04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
WARNING - RANT COMING UP -

A "magic-head" is the same as the B-17 companys "fludder" , I think .

I would never use anything like that to give the fly a different action . I much prefer to be the "puppeteer" and make that sucker do what I want it to do rather than use a gimmick or doodad . If the "action" is built-in (like a Poplip Siliclone) , I think that is o.k. ....

Of course ... I also wouldn't use a sluggo (gummy-minnow) either :twisted:

David - who enjoys doing things the hard way .

Darian
04-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey David,..... I've got it :idea: :idea: How 'bout using a beadhead, olive gummy bear (....with a magic head for action) :?: :?: :?: Let's see, what flavor would that beeee... :?: :?:

The north wind's put me a little on the "weird" side.... :roll: :roll: Tying some Silver Hilton's today.

PaulC
04-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Blake,
I've been working on tying that pattern myself. Jay had an article on a "White Knight" sea habit in fly fishing in salt waters that was a good reference.

I cannot remember if this site had a version or not...their database appears down at the moment. However, it is an excellent reference.
http://www.branhamssaltwaterflytying.com/

Finally, what I have been following as of late is the materials listing the the umpqua catalog and using a couple of the trey combs sea habit patterns I purchased as a proportion reference.

I looked also when I started and couldn't find a detailed tying instructions online.
-Paul

David Lee
04-14-2005, 01:10 PM
That's it ... blame the north wind - David :twisted:

Hairstacker
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Darian, I believe the olive ones are lime-flavored. Personally, I think you'd be better off with one of the berry-flavored ones, judging by the success of Tom Mann and his jelly worms.

Jay Murakoshi
04-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Here I am to save the day, that means that Mighty Mouse is on his way.
Do you guys remember that cartoon - in B&W

Well anyway, I do have the tying instruction save to a CD that I can email.
It's the complete steps for the White Knight Sea Habit. If anyone would like a copy, I will send it via email.

Jay

David Lee
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Sure , Jay .... I'd love one . David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-15-2005, 08:11 AM
If you can make it to our annual Expo at the shop here in Sacramento the Saturday after this coming one on April 23rd, you can probably sit and watch Jay tie one?

Jay Murakoshi
04-15-2005, 07:53 PM
I will definitly be tying the white knight and the rainbow trout pattern. I will be posting a photo of the rainbow trout tomorrow afternoon for those of you who want a seek peek at the fly.
Can't wait for next weekend, for fishing the American, and some tying and chatting fun. This remodeling is driving me crazy - especially the contractors who don't show up.

Jay

Hairstacker
04-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey Jay, I'd love to have one of those Sea Habit tutorials you have stored on CD too, thanks! As many flies as you tie :shock: , I have absolutely no doubt you have it down to a science. 8)

Don't want to offend any contractors but it's been my general experience as a homeowner that they show up when they show up. If I'm lucky, it's on the same day as scheduled. Good luck Jay, I'm sure it'll work out in the end. Do be careful who you do business with, though -- if you moved into a new development, you'll get visits from a number of characters you WON'T want to do business with.