PDA

View Full Version : feather report 4-13

steve sullivan
04-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Fished the feather low flow for a solid 5 hours, had one measily hookup, a 18 inch nice chromer that took what I call a " lemon ball", oregon cheese yarn covering a VERY SMALL (3/32) gold bead. Small yellow sucker egg imitations are a good bet now. Also saw some fish taking caddis off the top.

The fish barely sucked in the fly, wasnt a hard hit at all. Funny how feeling it (actually I was indicatoring) or not can make the difference between catching a small but chrome steelhead and getting skunked.

Dean
04-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I'm new to the Sac area and have only fished the Feather near the RV park and below. Just where is the "low flow" area? Thanks.

Darian
04-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Dean,..... The low flow section of the Feather River begins below Oroville Dam and ends downstream where the afterbay outlet enters the river. Don't know how many river miles are involved. Be careful fishing this area as portions of it close to fishing for periods to protect returning, spawning Salmon and Steelhead.

If you're not familiar with the Oroville area, there is a forebay and Afterbay created for this dam. The low flow section bypasses these bodies of water.

Downstream from the outlet, instream flows can be very high and dangerous for wading at times. This is part of a State Wildlife Area that perfmits fishing and some limited hunting oppotunities. 8) 8)