PDA

View Full Version : Ernie's Casting Pond in Soquel, CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-14-2005, 12:00 AM
This is one of the older fly shops in CA.

Ernie worked in a cigar store many years ago with fly fishing tackle.

He had a nice attractive forum. It was be a good contact for the salt water and steelhead fishing in that area near Santa Cruz.

Ernie & Diane retired too:

http://www.ernies.com/

They were some of God's best work.......

I saw that they went on a lot of good trips in their retirement.

Lee Haskin
04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Bill,

Ernie has a lot of experience with steelhead, too, especially with the San Lorenzo River.
Ernie and Diane are great people and always willing to help get folks the right information or equipment.

Cheers,
Lee Haskin

Jay Murakoshi
04-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Bill,

Definitly Ernie and Diane are great people. I remember when Ernie's Casting Pond was located in Santa Cruz. I was so small that it was a hard shop to find. One day, I drove up there to pay a visit to the shop and couldn't find it, so I stopped and made a phone call to get directions.
After talking to Ernie for a while, he figured out where I was at and told me to turn around in the phone booth and I would see the shop. Ahhh, what great memories Since I'm going back to the archives. Let's see how many memories I can bring up. Like trying to find the Fly Hutch on El Camino which was run by Mike Monroe or the Fly shop - Redding, Hat Creek Anglers (does anyone know who owned that shop) I do.
How about the little store in Orleans right at the crossing over the Klamath River.

I guess you can say, I've been around the block a few times, just like Bill

Jay

k.hanley
04-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Man you're an old dude! :lol:
Cheers, The Young Dude

Jay Murakoshi
04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Young Dud,

Opps, I meant to say dude :lol:
What are you doing on the cyber space network? Have you decided on a date yet. Maybe we should shoot it in baja

Get the message

MM

Darian
04-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Anybody recall the two guides on the Trinity (Hoopa Valley) during the late 60's :?: :?: How about Red Staten or Ernie Alameda. I have some flies tied by each. Ate chili at Ernies cafe and stayed in Red's motel in Hoopa Valley..... Caught lots of Steelhead there. I used to hike down the gorge on occassion to catch resident trout. 8) 8) Not up to that anymore. :(

During that time there was a fly shop in Willow Creek owned by a man who was in a wheel chair. Don't recall his name but he was the first to aim me at Horse Linto Creek for summer run Steelhead; also during the late 60's..... Lots of great memories from that time 8) 8) :D

Jay Murakoshi
04-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Stick around, I'll tell you that person's name. How many of you remember an guide who was Indian and guided on the Williamson River.

Answer will follow

Jay

Darian
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Jay,..... I've been racking my brain( :?: ) over this.... Only one Native American comes to mind who guided in that area. Ted Towendolly. But he was much older and not known for guiding the Williamson. Could Ted Fay have been a native :?: :?: I don't think Polly Rosborough was Native American :? :? Guess I don't know :roll: :roll:

Jay Murakoshi
04-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Here's the answer to my question posted above.

The name is Rich Henry.

Does it ring a bell

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Darian,

When I was working at the Tower of Sports on Howe Avenue in the early '70s Ted Towendolly came by the shop looking for grizzly necks.

He brought in a 3 pound coffee can filled to the top with large heavily weighted Black Spentwing Bombers. I could barely hold the can, it was so heavy.

He was a short stocky little native Amercian from up that Dunsmuir way. He said he taught Ted Fay how to fly fish with weighted nymphs but Ted good all the credit.

He said he used those flies on the Klamath River for steelhead too. Makes sense, the Silver Hilton is just a black bomber spentwing.

I think Rich Henry lives over on the southern Oregon coast now?

David Lee
04-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey , Bill - A three pound can of Black Spent-wing Bombers ??

Sounds about right for a 3-day weekend on the Pit river . David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
I think he sold them commercially.

I use to use the two fly dropper rig on the Pit River but it seemed like as soon as I got a fresh setup on there it would get stuck in the rocks and get broken off. Then I woud switch back to a singler wet fly rig.

David Lee
04-21-2005, 11:10 PM
I lost 31 flies to the rocks there one day . I learned fast to only lose one at a time !! The Rainbows there were worth it , BIG TIME !! David

Hairstacker
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
31 flies in ONE day?!? :shock: Jeesh, and I was figurin' 6 flies per size per pattern would be good nuff. . . .