PDA

View Full Version : starter combos

Ed Wahl
04-13-2005, 06:02 AM
My eleven year old grandson will be staying with us for a couple of months this summer :D , does anyone have a good recommendation for a starter outfit.I'm looking for something reasonably inexpensive but usable.I see quite a few combos on cabelas web site but not being able to cast them first kind of bothers me.You guys have any experience with mail order set ups? How 'bout you Bill, any starter outfits at the shop?Since I've only got him for a couple months I'm going to pack as much fishing into them as I can. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Ed,

We have the TFO Series 1 rods that are in many sizes for $89.

We have the Orvis Clearwater reels for $39.

If you come in we can go cast them outside.

We usually overline them one size for beginners and especially youngsters. I have done this with my grandsons.

If you buy the rod and reel from me, I have some new $60 Mastery GPX lines that we get almost free for demos and I will donate one to the cause for him.

andanb
04-13-2005, 09:58 AM
I've purchased one of those combo's. Cabela's is a reputable company, there is no problem with that, but Bill can and will match those packages and he is local. If he has any of those DS2's left those were a great buy! I have also found that if you buy too basic of a package you will quickly out grow the rod. The personal service and advice is invaluable.

Darian
04-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Assumming that your grandson has never cast or fished witha fly before, why not wait to purchase an outfit until your grandson arrives, fishes with one of your outfits and then decides whether he even likes fly fishing :?: :?: Make your choice of outfits after you've found out what he wants/likes.... 8) 8) You might find that he would rather fish with a spin or other type of outfit.... 8) 8)

I say this from my personal experience with my son who certainly has been exposed to and done some fly fishing but prefers to fish with a spin or revolving spool outfit. 8) 8) I subscribe to the theory that young people should be able to choose their own methods.... :D :D

BigBuddha
04-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Both my kids started with spinning outfits, but when they got a taste of fly fishing for panfish with dries they just loved it. Now they both fly fish all the time. I think it was the visual part of fishing dries that got em.

Ed Wahl
04-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks Everyone. Bill, I'll be coming by the shop this weekend.