PDA

View Full Version : The big spring Striper spawning run is here

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Most of the CA Striper population is at this moment swimming past Sacramento in the Sacramento River head up near Colusa to spawn.

Many will go up into other major Valley rivers like the Feather and American.

NCS
04-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Most of the CA Striper population is at this moment swimming past Sacramento in the Sacramento River head up near Colusa to spawn.

Many will go up into other major Valley rivers like the Feather and American.

What are the water conditions on the Sacramento right now? Last I heard it was pretty muddy with some debris. Makes fly fishing tough and boating hazardous for sure!! Thanks in advance for any info!
Nick

Gregg Machel
04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Bill keeps the local conditions here: http://www.kiene.com/reports.html on his site. I'd check there for the most recent report.

Dug
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
So I'm trying to put the pieces together here. So... from what I gather, stripers move into the delta fall through spring, migrate up river to spawn, and then move through the bay into the ocean during the summer. So when you speak of the mass migration up the Sacramento, do places like Franks Tract dry up, or do many stick around in the lower delta and spawn there. I guess I'm trying to figure out whether to follow the fish up the Sac, Feather, or American versus hangin' in the delta.