Fly rods do you use for stripers ? :?: :?:

Jason is getting a 8wt. :lol:

I'm looking for a rod for stripers,Steelhead, and large mouth. :lol:

Would a 8 wt be a good choice?

Thank you
-Rob

Gregg Machel
04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
I think an 8 wt. is a good option. I base this on my last trip with Kevin Doran. He's been doing this for years and the rig he setup for me was 8 wt. He had plenty of other rods, but the 8 wt. was his rod of choice, and it did well for me!

Darian
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Rob,..... Perhaps you should consider more than what fish will be taken on a particular weight fly rod.... For example, what type of fly will this rod be asked to cast :?: :?: Under what conditions will it be expected to perform for the most part :?: :?:

An 8 wt fly rod will handle all of the fish listed if paired with the correct reel, line, backing, etc. However, will it cast a very large deer hair bug in the wind :?: :?: Will it, also, cast a heavy Steelhead fly (starlite leech, Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger; sorry David :P :P ) using a double haul casting technique :?: :?: What type of action do you want in this rod; Medium/Fast or Fast :?: :?: Is it important to have a multiple piece rod (4 or 2 pcs, more :?: ) :?: :?: Even the style of grip and guides comes into play, here. 8) 8)

The answers to these questions will suggest the weight or type of rod or rods that you'll want for yourself or your son. 8) 8)

Maybe a few K-T techniques will help. :idea: :idea: Try listing the "must haves" and the things that you want in separate columns. Weight the two columns accordingly and make a choice. 8) 8) 8)

Hope this helps.... :D :D

Gregg Machel
04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I like Darian's answer better than mine! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Our top two selling fly rods at the shop are:

9' #5 - 4pc

9' #8 - 4pc

In Nor Cal this would be the choice for many for 2 rods to do most of our local fly fishing.

For wading or drifting the big Valley rivers for trout and steelhead we see many now using 9'6" and some 10' rods in #6 and #7 line sizes.

For Black Bass many would use a 9' #6, 7 or 8 line rod depending on the size of the 'bugs' I was throwing.

For Stripers in the Valley most are using fast action 9' rods in #7, 8 and 9 line sizes.

Hairstacker
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey Rob, I acquired an 8 wt. to do stripers, and it feels about right for that. However, I fished the Delta extensively for largemouths over the last couple years, and I much prefer my 5/6 wt. rod for them -- much more sporting, yet I've never had to wear one of them out to get it to the boat, er, kayak. The lighter rod is much more pleasurable to cast all day long and, at the distances I'm fishing out of a kayak, the size of the bugs for this weight fly line hasn't been an issue. But then, I do 90% of my bass fishing with a size 2 deer hair popper that isn't very wind resistant.

Rob
04-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks every one.

I have a 3 wt a 5 wt and all med. action.

I think I will get a fast action 8 wt.

I realy liked the sage xp and a Winston rod I cast at kiene's.

The Winston's grip is way to small for my hand.

Do all the Winston rods have such small grips??

Thanks again
-Rob

Can't wait to try for some striped bass on the American river.

David Lee
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Rob -

If I could pick the perfect outfit for myself on the American , it would be -

A 8 wt. 9 foot Sage RPLX 3 piece rod

A Teton 8-10 LA reel w/ 20 lb. Micron backing

A Rio 24 foot D.C. 300 grain sink-tip line or Airflow 300 grain Depthfinder

Maxima ultra-green leader (3 feet 30 lb. , 2 feet 25 lb. , 1 foot 20 lb. , 1 foot 15 lb. , tyed w/ double surgeon knots , each end a double surgeons loop)

Good fluro tippet (Seagaur blue-label 10 lb.)

Just for my personal taste , that one would be PERFECT !!

David

Jay Murakoshi
04-12-2005, 09:09 PM
What rod?

Let's see, I have rigged up a 9' 7wt GLX CC, 9' 8wt. GLX CC, and a 8 1/2' 9 wt CC. This is my gun. It's such a fast action rod that you can throw big flies into a heavy wind, pull stripers, LMB out of there hiding places and turn any rooster or dorado in baja.
But if I was to use on rod only, it would be my 8wt. :lol:

Jay