PDA

View Full Version : The Spring Striper spawing run has started

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I would guess that about 80% of the free roaming Striper population is headed upstream toward Colusa on the Sacramento River right now.

In April, May and June we have a chance to "catch-n-release" some fresh run Stripers. I know that most fly fishers don't keep fish and 99% of the Stripers will be caught by other methods. We are hoping for a 'slot limit' to help controll the taking of the large spawners by conventional anglers.

Some fish will go into the lower American River and some will go into the lower Feather River, but most will end up somewhere around Colusa, above or below depending on the flows.

If you want to catch and release some Stripers on a fly you might contact Shane Harden who is one of the very few people guiding fly fishers in that area with a jet boat.

530 / 751-9606

David Lee
04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Bill - Thanks for pushing the CnR angle . Large Stripes should NOT be killed for two reasons ....

1.- The bigger the Striper , the more eggs it produces - it's that simple . Why kill-off the best breeders ?? It's just plain STUPID to take the big ones .

2.- A large Stripe is riddled with toxins .... Mercury and Heavy metals from the bay make their way into the food chain .... who's at the top of the food chain in the bay ?? THAT'S RIGHT !! Stripe is !! I wouldn't eat ANYTHING over 5 or 6 lbs. for ANY reason .

There is NOTHING WRONG with taking the odd fish now and then , but killing a limit of big ones is not the way to improve the fishery . Most flyrodders know this and catch and release Stripers , but still there are those who take everything they catch . I hope I live to see a slot-limit on these WONDERFUL fish :!:

David

Hairstacker
04-07-2005, 10:35 AM
David, I have to second your point regarding toxins -- studies have shown that large stripers are one of the most mercury-riddled fish period and should not be eaten at all. Thus, in my opinion, there is no legitimate reason to keep one.