PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake

Ryan
04-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Has anyone been out there latley? The report on renoflyshop.com says it is doing good, and that it will get only better over the next two months. I'm going to be up there from Monday to Thursday, there will be two of us fishing and hopefully we will land one hog. I have heard really mixed reports... someone said somewhere that when the weather was good the fishing turned off? And some places say with improving weather, the fishing should do the same? Any tips on flies or general locations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, I will report how I did when I get back.

Darian
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Ryan,.... Some of the information you seek is under the Stillwater topic, below. Fishing at Pyramid is good under low light conditions. when it's cloudy all day the fishin' is gopod all day. If the weather is sunny/clear, fish early and late. 8) 8) That means you get to take a nap during the day.... :lol: If you're not a strong distance caster, I suggest you bone up on double hauling..... 8) 8)

If you've read the reports on Reno Fly Shops site, you have current info. All you need to do is find the fish to catch 'em (I know, it's easier said than done :roll: :roll: ). if you're gonna be there for a few days, it would pay to observe the first day and then fish based on what you see happening. Look for other fisherman catching something. Hope you're gregarious. It's crowded up there at this time of the year. :? :shock:

A lot of people enter the water and wade out close to the drop-off and begin casting.... Then when they turn around to look, they see Cutthroat passing right behind them.... :shock: :shock: (This is not an exaggeration 8) ). Wade in a short distance and cast for awhile. Then move further out. If the drop-off is close to the short, don't wade in at all.

At this time of year, you can fish a rapidly sinking shooting head with a heavy point fly (wooly bugger) and a Foam Beetle or a floating line with an indicator and a chartreuse Copper John 8) 8) .

Colors can vary a lot. I've caught fish on black or purple flies and on chartreuse and black/white flies. One guy I met up there told me just pick a fly, as long as it's purple, and fish. :lol: :lol:

Good luck and have fun

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Try some long leaders (12') and smaller (#12) flies with 3x-4x FC tippet when it is sunny. Maybe a clear slow sinking line too?

On dark days they use giant #2/4 bushy dark wooly buggers on huge tippet because the fish can't see well.

This next few month they do catch a lot of fish, but not normally giants.

15-20 inches?

Ryan
04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the responses and the emails... I read the reports in the stillwater section and I am excited. I probabley should have mentioned I have fished Pyramid twice before, so I do already know the basics. Thanks again, I will report how I did.