PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Fish Finder

Don Rotsma
04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey, I have a new bass boat and want to upgrade the fishfinder with one that has good lake capability and a built in GPS. I like the color models, but am not really sure they are worth the extra money. Any suggestions or experiences out there? Don

Darian
04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Don,..... I recently looked for an upgrade and chose a Lowrance M68. It's not very large, easy to install, has multiple functions, color display and relatively low price. :D A big plus for me was that it was easy to learn. As the person who recommended it said to me, "if you can use a cell phone, you can use this model..... 8) 8) This CPU can be mounted on the transom or thru the hull. The transom mount is the best for performance. I already had wiring in place so that wasn't a problem for installation. :D

The only thing I found that I didn't like was that it's a relatively small unit. It's a portable unit (computer) and must be removed from your boat (bracket) when not in use to avoid somenone removing it from your possession. :shock: :shock:

Given a choice (spell that price), I probably would've opted for a larger screen.... But, not complaining. If price is not a problem, I'd vote for the larger screen model..... :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I was emailing with fisheries biologist Brian Chan of Kamloops, BC and he said he is using some locator that has a real wide cone for shallow water.

I would research that too.

Many like Lowrance but there are lots of good companies now.

I would like a split screen option GPS/Finder with a large color screen too.