PDA

View Full Version : Paint for poppers

Adam Grace
04-02-2005, 02:06 PM
What types of paint do you guys like to use on popper bodies?

I like nail polish for it's quick drying properties. Nail polish also has those cool little built-in brushes as well as a hard finish once dry.

Jay Murakoshi
04-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Adam,

I use Aero Gloss paint. It's an airplane dope paint. When I do fancy painting, I use automotive paints such as the acrylic's. I shoot it on using a Pasque airbrush

Jay

Darian
04-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Jay,..... I have an airbrush but have never used it. Would taking a course reduce the learning curve on use or is it intuitive :?: :?:

I'd like to start using mine but I've shied away from it due to the cleaning required. :? :? Guess you have to prepare a bunch of poppers or surfaces to be painted to justify use.....

Jay Murakoshi
04-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Darian,

What type of air brush do you have? They are very simple to take apart and clean. If it's the brand I have, you should have the main body, needle, the trigger, the nozzle and the air adjustment locking nut. Don't let the number of parts scare you. If you are planning on coming to Kiene's fly fishing fair, bring it with you and I will show you how to take it apart and reassemble it.
I started air brushing when I was in high school. I ended up paint custom motorcycle gas tank. You know, the kind you see on the choppers.

Jay

Hairstacker
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Although I've never tried it, it would seem like air-brushing is the way to go if you want to fade one color into another, like if you wanted a white belly fading into yellow sides which could then fade into a green top, for example. 8) 8) 8)

Myself, I'm going to try Adam's method -- thanks Adam, GREAT tip!! :D

Adam Grace
04-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I swithced to the nail polish because I hated cleaning my brushes when I used model paint, no special model paint, old Payless stuff. I think that I do not tie enough poppers to invest in the air brush but they create very special custom paint jobs. You are hard core Jay.

SullyTM
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Adam...While I was in Michigan I came across some nice pre-painted foam popper bodies by Spirit River. Since I'm Picasso challenged I bought a pack and tied some nice bass bugs. They come in various sizes and colors and can speed up the tying process for anyone who doesn't want to paint. Also, good luck at Chico State. I returned to college at the ripe old age of 30 and it was EASY! Since you're old enough to shave you should have a good time. I thank you for your tips and will look for you on the Forum...and on a body of water in the future! Thom