PDA

View Full Version : opening day

Ed Wahl
04-02-2005, 11:02 AM
It's now only a matter of weeks! Can't hardly wait, it'll be cold, probably wet,icy water, very few fish, misery all day long, but I'll be out there.I was cursed back when I first started fly fishing, the weather was very nice for that time of year.Took half a day but I finally figured out how to use the knowlege I had gathered and started catching fish, a lot of fish. Since then I've always fished on the opener, although I don't think I've ever had it so good since.Can't wait to go out there and be miserable all over again. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Ed,

Normally the opener is not good for many places for trout. Especially streams up in the Sierras. Lakes can be a better deal early on though. Maybe 10% of the streams are in shape to fly fishing on the opener unless we are in a draught.

Most of us should be fishing warmwater species and stripers or lower elevation trout streams and trout lakes.

I think you know this and will have a good time getting away.

A friend was just in the shop talking about fly fishing the "ice out" on David Lake where he lives very near by. Well, that is way to cold for a 60 year old. I will be at Davis Lake for sure this year with my friend and guide Don Rotsma in May/June.

I just don't want the 'new to fly fishing' person to go up to the good trout streams now while it is too cold to catch much.

On the opener, the Valley rivers migth be a real good bet for Stripers, resident trout and Halfpounders.