PDA

View Full Version : American Shad in April ????

David Lee
03-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Here's a question for our flyfishing Veterans on the board -

What is the earliest you have seen/caught Shad in the American ??

I would think with the high , cool flows we have right now the Shad should only be a few weeks out , but since I've been chasing them for less than 10 years , I have no idea how early to expect them in numbers . Did they used to run in early April , say , 25 years ago ??

Just wondering ...... David

LostInTheFog
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
David,

I think April is just a shad early.

(I'm so very sorry.) :P

Darian
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Moved up here in 1974..... As I recall, Shad fishing was spotty but available during late April below H Street.... It just got better from there. 8) 8)

The fishing moved steadily upstream through Watt Ave., thru Upper Rossmore Bar. Then into upper Sunrise, etc. 8) 8)

One thing that I've noticed is that a lot us of stop fishing the lower part of the river after May even tho you can see Shad schools passing thru that area into July.... :? :? :? Maybe the fly guys're switching to other fish. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2005, 11:50 PM
I think they might be at Watt Avenue and the Gristmil access by mid-April at time?

April is usually good from a boat at the mouth of the American River and the mouth of the Feather River.

Bryan
04-02-2005, 06:43 PM
David, I am a Shad fanatic. The earliest I have ever caught Shad was with a buddy at Verona on May 1st. Normally I will start catching them around the Log Hole around June 1st. So that gives you an idea of about the time that it takes them to get upriver. My flies are tied and I can't wait. Good luck, Bryan :D

Hairstacker
04-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Hi Bryan, as a shad fanatic, do you have a favorite fly pattern? Looking to tie some up myself. :D