PDA

View Full Version : Tube flies

Adam Grace
03-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Anyone here fishing tube flies with their spey rods?

Rick J
03-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Adam - only if someone gives me one - I know Bruce Slightom uses them some and Scott O'Donnell passed some on to me when I was fishing with him.

Do you guys have a tube fly tying kit that would work with the Dyna King barracuda jr vise? I have wanted to get into this but have not spent the time? Maybe I can discuss with you if you are in the shop Friday PM when i stop through on my way to Don's

Rick

Jasonh
03-31-2005, 06:16 PM
I have messed around with a few that i tied up over christmas and hooked one half pounder on a black and orange marrabou ties on a metal tube. Although i was not spey fishing with it. I have tied a few caddis emergers and adult patterns on plastic tubes to try out on the american when i get home.

Jason

Darian
03-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Jason,...... Your post gave me a great laugh :lol: :lol: . My imagination ran wild with the vision of a size 16 caddis emerger tied on a 2" plastic tube..... :roll: :roll:

The Devil made me do it :P :P :P

Moose
03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
I've tied a few Temple Dog style patterns on 1/2 inch brass tubes and like them well enough. They look very prawn-like in the water and cast nicely on shorter heads like the Deltas and Loop lines on 7 weight and up rods. The idea I like about these is the possibillity of getting fairly deep without a sink tip, and very deep with one. I'm going to tie a few shad patterns on them, and on the aluminum tubes as well and experiment a bit once the shad run gets going.

Jasonh
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Darian, hey if i could tie a size 16 caddis emerger on a tube i might do it because you would certainly have a better chance of landing the size! I am talking about size #10, 12 caddis. Theres a guy up in montana that ties salmonfly patterns on tubes and said that he losses few fish due to the hooks dislodging. Who knows, dries on tubes is just something i am experimenting with when i get bored of tying standard patterns and cannot think of anything new to tie up.

Jason Hartwick

Jasonh
03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Darian, hey if i could tie a size 16 caddis emerger on a tube i might do it because you would certainly have a better chance of landing the fish! I am talking about size #10, 12 caddis. Theres a guy up in montana that ties salmonfly patterns on tubes and said that he losses few fish due to the hooks dislodging. Who knows, dries on tubes is just something i am experimenting with when i get bored of tying standard patterns and cannot think of anything new to tie up.

Jason Hartwick

Jasonh
03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Darian, hey if i could tie a size 16 caddis emerger on a tube i might do it because you would certainly have a better chance of landing the fish! I am talking about size #10, 12 caddis. Theres a guy up in montana that ties salmonfly patterns on tubes and said that he losses few fish due to the hooks dislodging. Who knows, dries on tubes is just something i am experimenting with when i get bored of tying standard patterns and cannot think of anything new to tie up.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Rick, we do sell the HMH adapter kit. The kit should fit almost any vise including the Baracuda, very nice vise.

I might tie some bassy tube flies for my new private pond. The tubes should easily keep the flies on the bottom.

I am way too excited about the pond :!:

Bruce Slightom
04-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Adam, I have been fishing tube flies for about three years now, I like the idea of presenting a fly with a body of #2/0 but a hook of a #4 or #6. I think that there is less mortiality with the smaller hook. One of the things that still amazes me is that when you hook up the tube comes away from the hook and slides up the leader. Another advantage is if useing lighter weight hooks and you hook up on the bottom the hook many times will straighten out and you just replace the hook instead of lossing the fly. Tying popsicles is obvious but trying tying traditional paterns like a Boss or an Acroyd. There are different types of tubes, I like the copper ones because of the color but I use the soft plastic ones the most. Guys are tying wakers on these. http://www.flyfishusa.com/ If you go to this site there is quite a bit of information, I have not tried any salt water patterns yet but I think that is next. Bruce

Uncle Barry
05-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Good evening All.
Tube flies, mine just might be a bit different.
I strip the middle of of a Biro type pen.
And use the outter plastic case as the form for my tube flies.

And to go one step further, sometimes add a small propeller at the tail end.
Casting, one a Double Handed overhead rod 9/10 or 10/11w.
Into the saltwater, of course.
Kind regards,
Barry.