PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite small local pond?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-31-2005, 01:00 AM
I am not looking for secret ponds but ones that the public already fishes.

Like Gibson Ranch, Rancho Seco, Cameron Park Lake, the Arden Pond..........

I am listing them under my LINKS.

http://www.kiene.com/LocalBassPanfishPonds.htm

David Lee
03-31-2005, 01:48 AM
:twisted: :twisted: I'll NEVER tell :twisted: :twisted:

A good (unknown) pond is beyond compare - you only tell people you KNOW will keep quiet .... David

Darian
03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
My favorite pond used to be located off Hwy 50 south of Folsom. It was a beautiful place that had Bass, Carp, Catfish, Bluegill and green Sunfish in it 8) 8) 8) . Lotsa depth with channels and a variety of depths and bottom structure. 8) There was an inflowing stream, a dam and outflowing stream. Cool water all the time. Shoreline cover and the pond was hidden from view of the road but close by..... 8) 8) In short, it was wonderful..... :D :D :D

Unfortunately, the myopic views of the Folsom City Council/Board of Education decided that it was proper to fill in the pond, pave it over for parking and build a high school adjacent to parking lot that is left of it..... :evil: :evil:

Get the picture :!: :!: :!: :roll:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
A friend was by the shop yesterday and he said that before the river came up he was doing well on black bass in the Ardren Pond. Now the river is running through it and really cooled it off.

April and May are really big months for warmwater species on a fly and we have hundreds of small ponds around Sacramento.

I like to go out after work (daylight savings time) during the week and fish that last few hours up till dark with surface bugs.

mike N
04-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Regarding secret spots I wouls say "you only tell people who know YOU WILL keep THEM quiet............. :evil:

Mike N

Darian
04-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Decided that I ought to note a few good ponds to offset my earlier rant against City of Folsom..... :lol: :lol:

These are all easy access and decent fishing in the area around the American River:

1) Arden Ponds - Foot of Arden below Fair Oaks Blvd. Good fishing when the river is not running thru them. Bass, Catfish, Sunfish & stocked Trout. 8)

2) Mather Pond - Off Keifer Blvd, West of Sunrise. Bass, Catfish, Sunfish. 8) 8) 8)

3) Small Pond - Off Illoinois Avenue entrance to Sailor Bar area. Bullheads, Sunfish, maybe Bass. Good place to contemplate your navel. 8)

4) when the American River is low, there is productive slow water behind Rio Americano High School and downstream between Watt and Howe Avenues on the north side. 8)

Ed Wahl
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Darion, I used to fish that pond in Folsom also.It's filled in? That is a big loss for all of us, it was a truly spectacular place. We used to catch some big bass in there as well as a lot of sunfish.It was also a haven for local wildlife, thats a real bummer.On the up side, the dredger ponds, or hot ponds as the local kids used to call them, are still there and still looking pretty healthy.These ponds are in the area by the American river called Sacremento bar.You have to walk a bit to get to them and except for the largest pond you need a float tube to fish them.Being dredger ponds they have very steep banks made of loose river rock with only a few access points.Plenty of bluegill and sunfish as well as bass. Given a couple of weeks of warm weather all the ponds around here should start turning on. You can park at Bannister Park & take the bike trail east across the creek and turn right on the first dirt path you come to, head toward the river, when you can hear the river the path tees, take a right & keep bearing toward the river.You'll have to do some exploring to find all the ponds but that's part of the fun.I've walked right past them quite a few times in the past myself. Ed

Hairstacker
04-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Gee Ed, ponds you have to stumble upon that you can only float tube? Sounds promising already! :D

There are a couple of ponds on the back side of Shadow Cliffs that have bluegill and bass. Here again, a float tube would be very helpful, as they allow NO boats of any kind on them. The kicker, though, is you have to pay park entrance and fishing fees. :cry:

Adam Grace
04-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I think that Rancho Seco has the greatest local potential for large bass. Seco also contains crappie and of course blue gills. I think that the large bass gorge themselves on the planted rainbow trout and get round and fat, just like a bass should be.

I would fish Seco more this upcoming season if I didn't have my new private pond! :P

I like to rub it in, I'm still very excited :twisted:

David Lee
04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
You know , Adam .... after you settle-in up there , you can invite all of us up for Beer/BBQ and pond abuse - that would be really sweet of you if you did :idea:

I'll bring the Rancid Bear Grease :P :P :P

By the way - get your behind down to the Log Hole and below w/ your light Spey rod and a floater ... CRAZY amount of sea-run Rainbows for you to play with (Shhhhhhh) , they quit the surface at 10:15 this morning .

David

Hairstacker
04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Yep, when I checked out Rancho Seco last month or so, I noticed underwater weed beds everywhere -- looked like it would be a GREAT warmwater fishery come spring, early summer. :D

Darian
04-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Heystacker or Hairstacker :? :? ,..... Hey Mike,..... Rancho Seco is an interesting place until the windsurfing crowd settles in..... Then watch out if you're in a float tube :shock: :shock: . Late spring thru fall, Rancho is probably one of the windiest places around..... :( And, the fish GLOW in the dark :P :P :twisted: :twisted:

I'm just telling you this stuff so I'll have it all to myself..... :lol: :lol:

BruceB
04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
That pond behind Folsom High is still there. It's just surrounded by No Trespassing signs.

Darian
04-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Bruce,..... Are you sure about the pond?? The last time I looked it was covered by a large area that was destined to be paved over for a parking lot. It covered the formerly visible area of the pond from the roadway on the north side where the creek entered it..... :roll:

I thought the no trespassing signs were oin keeping with the state law that prohibits trespass by non-students without permission..... I wonder if we're talking about the same pond :?: :?: This pond was part of Folsom Water District. There were a couple of drainage ponds in the area.... :? :?

Oh well, even if a portion of the pond is there, it's probably not accessible any longer..

BruceB
04-03-2005, 08:36 PM
As you're driving east on Iron Point take a look to the right just as you pass the high school. Through the parking lot you can see the pond. Actually it is a small reservoir. It was built to bring water to that part of Folsom a few decades ago. I read when, but I forget.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-04-2005, 12:13 AM
There are hundreds of ponds, some not that far way.

You just have to look for them.

SullyTM
04-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I can't supply any good pond info for Northern California, however, I just returned from Michigan and ponds are everywhere! It was to cold to fly fish...many of the ponds still were iced! In a 15 mile stretch of highway between Lansing and Charlotte I counted 3 dozen ponds/lakes! My right arm went into spasms!! Sooooo, if anyone visits Michigan just make sure you have a day/week license. Enjoy. Thom

Hairstacker
04-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey Thom, good to see you back! I sent you a PM on your fly, were you able to retrieve it?