PDA

View Full Version : A long way from home .....

David Lee
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
I hear we have a visitor in the Paradise Beach area .... a VERY large , hungry Sea Lion !!

I know that most years we have them in the Sacramento near the mouth of the American , but I've never heard of one coming up this high in the river .

I hope he leaves in a hurry - David

LostInTheFog
03-30-2005, 03:52 PM
My buddy and I saw him (her?) out at the mouth of the American a few weeks ago. I had visions of the sea lions I've seen in the Delta happily playing with a large piece of a striper while we cursed their ancestry.

Darian
03-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I saw the news item on this last night.... 8) Ya know , I can see the outcome of this unfolding :idea: :idea: :

A colony of breeder Sea Lions sets up at Paradise Beach :wink: .

The State takes over and declares the beach a protected State Park (a la Ano Nuevo State Park) :cry: .

Guided tours are the only allowable access :? :? .

Andy has to stop guiding Stripers on the Lower American from a boat and David has to stop wading there :shock: .

Meanwhile the local fish population declines (leaving town. Hey, they aren't dumb :lol: )

Arnold steps in and declares the Sea Lions are illegal steriod users :shock: :shock: .

The Sea Lions leave as they're ambarrased by the number of nude sun bathers disturbs their sensitivities (after all, naked humans aren't pretty) and a group of evironmentalists sues for libel of the Sea Lions by Arnold..... :P :P :P

Problem solved 8) 8) If the fish come back..... (I gotta stop drinking coffe in the AM :roll: :roll: )

David Lee
03-30-2005, 05:00 PM
I have really mixed feelings about this ....

1.- Ol' Sea-lions have got to eat , too .... maybe he can make it over a couple of dams and clean some Carp out of Folsom .

2.- Bugger him - hope he stays out of casting range . I fear my dogs will LOSE THEIR MINDS if they see him (they already have "Beaver-madness") .

One more thorn in the ass of the fishes , at least they have water this spring . David

David Lee
03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Darian - I didn't like the end of line #5 from your post

I didn't like it AT ALL - :twisted: it's gonna be friggin' JULY before I get a Stripe this year :twisted:

Oh , well .... off to the pond this weekend :idea: David

Hairstacker
03-30-2005, 09:38 PM
David not wade the lower American?!? Darian, you are describing the end of life as we know it. :lol:

Darian
03-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Hmmmmm,..... Maybe you guys should stop drinking coffee in the AM :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-30-2005, 11:22 PM
I was told that you can tell how good the fishing is in any lake in Canada by counting how many Loons you see there.

I guess that if you have healthy populations of migratory fish you will have preditors like sealions after them

Natural predation is suppose to be good for the eco-system.

The preditors are suppose to eat the slow or dumb ones making the population healthier.

Where are the Great Whites and Killer Whales?????????

http://www.sdnhm.org/kids/sharks/shore-to-sea/images/white.jpg

David Lee
03-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Natural predation is suppose to be good for the eco-system.

The preditors are suppose to eat the slow or dumb ones making the population healthier.

Where are the Great Whites and Killer Whales?????????

Bill - I sure as hell hope they are out at the Farillons - can you see me peein' when Whitey swims past my spot at Hoiges :shock: ?? Jeeeeez .... I might have to learn the Bimini after all :roll: ..... David

Jeff F.
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I saw two of them yesterday around 5pm just above Paraidse Beach. Biggest things I've ever seen!

Jasonh
03-31-2005, 06:26 PM
My guess is that they might be following steelhead and half pounders, maybe in stripers in from the mouth. If that is the case, many are going die. I watched two sea lions in the freeport area last year devouring (sp?) salmon. They would lieterally grab one off the bottom and bring it to the surface slap it on the water and only take one big chunk out of it. In about ten minutes i saw nearly 20-30 salmon carcasses on the water. Wonder what the fish and game thinks about them?

Jason Hartwick

Darian
03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
I can't help wondering why these guys are in the river, even in view of the available food..... :? :? The water temperature has gotta be colder than what they would experience in the delta or the ocean where food is also available. 8) 8)

Maybe Sea Lions aren't as smart as I gave 'em credit for being.... :P :P