PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake, CA

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Our old friend Don Rotsma teaches high school in Reno and in the summers he guides fly fishers and teaches fly fishing on Davis Lake.

Don has a nice home almost on the lake near the fire station and store.

Don's web site:

http://www.flyfishwithdon.com/

I think May/June is hard to beat on Davis Lake.

October is pretty wild as well.

http://www.flyfishwithdon.com/images/Dons%20guide%20brochure.gif

Darian
03-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey Bill,..... Where's the Pike up there :?: :?: :twisted: Is anyone catchin' Pike on flies up there :?: :?: I know there's some strange rules for fishing/catching 'em but it still should be fun..... 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Darian,

I fished Davis Lake in early June last summer with Don Rotsma and Rick Jorgensen for three days. The damsels were hatching all day long. We had some fo the best lake fishing I have ever seen for Rainbow Trout.

I would like to target the Pike some day.

Rick J
03-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Been talking to Don and he says the lake is starting to break up. I plan to go up this weekend and just hang out at Don's and maybe walk the shoreline and see if anything is happening. Will post when I get back

jayclarkflyfishing
03-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I fished at Davis on Saturday.Only about one hundred feet of open water near Mallard cove.No fish were caught but it was fun wading right next to a large iceflow.As far as the pike are concerned,the largest one i caught was 26" on a size 12 wooly bugger.I caught more pike last year than any year previous.
The damsel hatch is fun,but i really like the fishing the lake in the fall(oct til ice forms).Best fishing for me is around Thanksgiving.No crowds and BIG rainbows.Jay

jayclarkflyfishing
04-03-2005, 09:40 AM
The ice is breaking up with a little help from the winds.Plenty of open water and the lake should be ice free in another week or so.Fished for 4 hours without a grab.A few other fishermen were out but the winds drove most people off the lake by 2pm.Jay

Rick J
04-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Drove around with Don on Sat but decided not to fish - pretty windy and the few folks we saw were not having much luck (so we were wimps!!). It should be in great shape in another week or two and expect they will clear teh boat launch as soon as ice out as F&G wants to get out looking for pike.