PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Lake, NV

Darian
03-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,..... Anyone been out to Pyramid recently :?: :?: A 24+lb Cutthtroat was caught/released up there :shock: :shock: Also, I've been getting some good reports..... 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Darian,

I see more and more fly fishers going in the spring.

I think April/May is big there.

We always fished Nov. throught Feb?

Darian
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Bill,..... I stopped fishing at Pyramid between Dec 1 thru Feb 28 a long time ago. Got tired of having to grow new skin after freezing it off :shock: :shock: .

Anorther reason was that I consistently caught more fish when the weather/water was warmer. Great fishing in the spring and fall 8) 8) 8) .

chemdoc
04-02-2005, 08:23 AM
My fishing buddy and I went up there on Thursday, my first time and his second. It was very windy, making the west shore very challenging to fish. We finally drove around the bottom of the lake through Nixon and went to the SE shore where the wind was at least at our backs.

There were several people fishing, each of whom caught a few fish. I was very fortunate to catch my first Pyramid Lake Lahontan, a whopping 27 inches and almost 8 1/2 pounds! This is by far the biggest fish I have caught since I began fly fishing a little over a year ago. I also caught a second of about 18-19 inches. We didn't have a 20 fish day as many recent reports suggest from the Reno Fly shop, but that is most likely due to our lack of experience. The guy next to us, who has fished there for 30 years, pulled out about 5 in the 20-22 inch range during the 3 hours we were there. The report from Reno suggest that the fishing will only get better during the next month.

Darian
04-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey Chemdoc,..... You da man :!: :!: A large Cutt like the one you got is what it's all about up there 8) 8) . Lots of guys go up there like you did on their first try and get zero fish. What'd you think of your first view of the lake coming in from Saprks :?: :?:

Sounds like you were fishing at Dago Bay. Sandy bottom, shallow quite a ways out.... 8) 8) Did you fish from a ladder or wade :?: :?: :?:

chemdoc
04-02-2005, 09:09 PM
The beach we fished isn't named on my map, but it is right between Dago Bay and Popcorn Beach. There is a big canal of sorts with a road above it which we followed to get to the lake. The dropoff was easy to see there about a hundred feet out, so we set our ladders at the edge. That was the first time I used my 8 wt rod or a shooting head, and in the wind it was a lot of work. I talked to Andy at Kiene's about taking a lesson in casting this rig which should help me greatly. It was a very exciting day and other than the wind, a very pretty day and view as well. For what it's worth, both of my fish were taken on a white foam beetle dropper, although that may just have been a fluke. Probably just beginners luck, but I'll take it.

Darian
04-02-2005, 10:26 PM
The Canal you saw was built to provide access to the lower Truckee River for natural spawning of Cutthroat and Cui Ui..... In some years that canal is dry.... :( Did you notice whether it had water in it this year :?: :?:

There are two constants up there. One is the wind; the other is cold (for about another month, anyway.....) Taking a lesson from Andy is a very good idea :idea: :idea: .

I've had a lot of very good days up there fishing a combo of the chartreuse/Black wooly bugger and a white/chartreuse beetle (floating bug) :wink: :wink: . The bug is on the dropper and gets jiggled around when you strip retrieve..... :shock:

I've heard that some fish have been caught on a chartreuse copper john below an indicator, recently. That usually happens when the water is warming..... It's kinda like bobber fishin' :roll: :roll: . Can't wait to get up there, again :D :D .

chemdoc
04-03-2005, 07:17 AM
The canal was completely dry when we were there. There appears to be a road right along the bottom of it.

Nip Hadlock
04-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Darian;
I'm going out there in a couple weeks for the first time.
Is it possible to fish without a step ladder?
Is there a spot or two you recommend for first timers?

Darian
04-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi Nip,.... It's not necessary to use a step ladder up there, but, when the wind is at your back, you can lob a cast into Idaho from it.... In reality, a step ladder keeps your lower body out of the cold (40+ degrees :roll: :roll: ) water up there and allows you to fish longer. Otherwise, it's better to wade if the wind is in your face (casting is easier for me 8) 8) ) Be carefull when wading or placing your ladder not to get too close to a drop-off as the sand bottom can give way with negative results :cry: :cry: .

You can get info/current reports from the Reno Fly Shop or from the Paiute Police Station in Sutcliffe (also, a map and permit).

Locations for fishing vary but everyone seems to start at the "nets" in Sutcliffe. This is very crowded :roll: . So, unless you're interested in combat fishing, look for another spot. The maps you get from the Paiutes are usually annotated for off-roading trails, sites and have the regulations printed on the back 8) 8) .

Call Reno Fly Shop or check out their website for current info on pyramid 8) 8) .

Good Luck :D :D :D

Nip Hadlock
04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
We made it out to Pyramid on Wednesday.
Lot's of guys on step ladders just as advertised!
After freezing my butt off I'll be bringing a ladder next time!
Cold water and WINDY. Add the occassional snow flury and you get the idea.
We got into a few...I've got a pic or two to put up once I figure out
how.
There were guys having 12-20 fish days around us at the "nets".
We tried up the SW side but doubled back to nets to avoid getting skunked.
I got a couple to hand using a black bugger. My partner scored on an olive bugger. The guy next to me with the spin gear and big ball-o-lead was having a big day, ( watched him land 15 or so!) with a black bugger too. Most of the fish we caught or saw were in the 20 +/- 4 inch range.
There was a guy with a fish finder mounted on his ladder! Too funny!!

Darian
04-15-2005, 11:35 PM
A fish finder on a ladder :?: :?: :shock: I've heard everything, now :lol: :lol:

Glad you got into a few. It's actually a lot of fun to go up there and tough it out in the weather.... :roll: :roll: Welcome to the club. 8) 8)

What'd you think of the platforms with the chairs on top :?: :?: Lotsa guys buy 'em from Crosby's Lodge. They look a little like a power towers to me :lol: :lol: .

Nip Hadlock
04-16-2005, 02:30 PM
http://www.kiene.com/images/pyramid-lake-003.jpg

Darian;
The chair platforms are just too funny! But I'm a believer in getting up and out of that water now!

Darian
05-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Spent the last two days at Pyramid Lake in NV :D . Encountered heavy winds, rain, hail, snow on the way over :( :( . Made it to the lake on Monday where the weather was partly cloudy with a west wind at about 25-30 knots, steady :shock: :shock: . Water was flat, tho. Water temp probably in the low 50's. Bumps were many, hook-ups scarce :? :? . Couple of gear guys fishing jigs didn't get bit.... Since the wind was at my back, I could lob a cast almost across the lake :lol: . However, the fish were almost at my feet 8) . Fishing was spotty for those using an indicator and small flies (Chartruese Copper John) at the north nets :? :? . Didn't notice anyone fishing elsewhere. lotsa people camping..... Guess my partner and I were the only ones foolish enough to stay out in that weather :lol: :lol: .

On Tuesday (AM), wind was gusty at 10-15 knots from the north west.... Overcast sky (weird, lenticular clouds). Lotsa swells and surf running on the beach... :shock: . Tough casting a floating line with indicator. Gear guys rule today... 8) . Some guy with a jig is catching one every 20 minutes or so... :roll: :roll: .

My partner got one about 20" on a chartruese/black spoon and several bumps. I got a twin to my partners fish on an olive dragon fly nymph. The fish were beautifully marke and in spawning colors :D :D :D .

If the weather holds, the fishing will continue for about another two weeks. If it warms up, it's just about over for the year 8) 8) .

Hairstacker
05-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Hi Darian! Glad to hear you made it out there and impressed that you toughed it out under the circumstances. Sounds like you caught a good fish, good for you!

(hmmm . . . "lenticular clouds". . . sounds scientific, must make mental note to add that to my list (long) of reasons the fish weren't bitin'. :lol: )