PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Space (nff)

Jay Murakoshi
03-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Having problems with my lap top. Over the past couple days it seems that my lap top has been picking up a bunch of detected virus's. Now this morning, I can't even get on the internet... The McAfee is working and the last time I checked, all the lines were green and not yellow - whatever that mean

What IF.... I go in and some how "format" the whole hard drive and then go back and down load all the dell programs. Would that clear it up or do I need to take this thing to a computer doctor.
Remember, I don't know a thing about computers

I had to unpack my desktop (since the remodeling) and hook it back up just to get things up and running.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I think I would call Dell.

Eugene Graham
03-27-2005, 09:28 AM
Jay,
Most likely your problem is not a virus but SPYWARE/ADWARE. If you are able to download from another machine a free program (Microsoft Antispyware Beta), this has been one of the best clean up programs I have seen. It even seems to outperform Spybot & Adaware (two other great programs for doing this). Don't just use any program that advertises itself as 99% of the programs for doing this are made by spyware companies and remove their competition and install their own software. Below is a link to the free Microsoft software. If you have any questions, feel free to email me anytime. I have done this hundreds of times.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Jay Murakoshi
03-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Eugene,

I will definitly be emailing you later today. But first, I need to get access into my lap top. I did read something in a red box about spyware but didn't click it. If I don't know what it is, I don't click it

Later

Jay

Hairstacker
03-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Jay! I'll bet Eugene is right, you're probably infected with spyware and adware. Some of those, unfortunately, can be a real challenge to get rid of. And with a bad enough infection, you'll notice your computer slowing down and you might even notice some of your programs not working well or at all. If you try a utility like Eugene suggested, it may get rid of all of these and solve your problem. But if you find your computer or certain programs still not working right, a restore may be the only solution. By the way, sometimes our computers get hosed when we download and/or install programs -- have you installed anything recently? Anyway, check your computer documentation or with Dell to see what restore options you have -- on my current computer, for example, I am able to execute a partial restore that will allow me to pick a date in the past when everything worked and revert the computer to that date. In the process, I don't lose any files or data, the computer just backs out all program installations (including spyware and adware) that have occurred since that date, which would include any that might be causing problems. It won't necessarily restore all system settings, though, so if a problem program changed certain settings in the registry, those new settings may remain and may continue to cause you certain problems. The final option, of course, is the full restore that resets your computer to factory settings. This is sure to get rid of your problem but it will also get rid of every program and file, data, etc., you've ever added to the computer. It's also a pain because you have to re-install, re-establish your internet connection and everything else that didn't come factory. It is an option, though, and some do this on a routine basis, as evidenced by the responses you got on the NCFFB. Good luck!!