PDA

View Full Version : April Fly Swap!!!

Darian
03-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,..... Sign up for the April Fly Swap is officially (as opposed to unofficially) open.... :!: :!: :D You can elect to participate and choose a pattern thru April 5th. 8) 8) Each particpant will tie the same number of flies as there are participants, plus one. :? :? This swap is intended to be comleted on May 5th. That'll give everyone one month to complete their flies and mail them to me.

The fly type is a Steelhead pattern and includes all types (coastal or rivers, traditional, modern or Spey). :D :D The choice does not include Glo-bugs, beads or MOE bodied patterns.

I suggest that we use "toe tags" for each fly to ID the tyer and pattern. Plus, a written, one page description of the pattern including tying instructions for the pattern. :idea: :idea:

Some of you have already said you intend to partcipate and have made your choice:

Me - choice not made yet :roll:

David Lee - Mossback 8)

Paulc - Blue Copper John 8)

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (two patterns :shock: )

Any questions :?: :?:

Jasonh
03-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Darian, sign me up. Not quite sure what pattern i will tie yet but i will post that later.

Jason Hartwick

MSP
03-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi Darian, I'd like to tie a few more flys. Please add me to the list. I'm going to tie a Purple Matuka! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Darian
03-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone,.... we're up to six participants for April 8) and a variety of very interesting patterns :D :D :

Me - choice later

David - Mossback

PaulC - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Choice Later

Mike - Purple Matuka

Adam Grace
03-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, trout season is just around the corner and the warm water fishing will pick up in Aprill. Why is April's swap selection for steelhead.

If you guys are determined to tie steelhead flies, why not tie spring run SH flies. Nymphs for swinging or small little brindle bugs are assassins. Even cool caddis imitations for dry fly fishing fo the blue backs.

Why not match the fly selection to the upcoming season?

I have not thought about tying a SH fly in quite some time. I have already started to tie bass flies and trout flies to restock my boxes for this spring.

Am I alone here with this idea?

David Lee
03-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Adam - Fly of the month for the Swap is always the Swaphost's choice , if a host wanted to do something like Bonefish flies (which are not of much use here very often ...) , then that would be that . I think the May host spot is still open if you would like to host a Trout fly swap (with the high water everywhere and snowpack , I don't think May is too late for Trout stuff ) . I sure hope none of this post sounds rude - I don't mean it to be rude , just wanted to make it clear that the monthly swapfly is the "Swapmaster's" choice .

Once again , I hope I don't sound like a weenie . David

MSP
03-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Adam, I kinda agree with you but what do we know. I figure a swap is a swap and it gives me something to do. You just get busy tieing some of those bugs and I'll trade a few with you when we get out on the "A" in a few weeks! :lol: Carpet Caddis!

Darian
03-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Adam,..... Good questions..... As the April host, I chose the type of fly and based that choice on the type of fishing that's available plus doing something slightly different. :wink: Also, thinking that Steelhead/Trout are available in valley systems all year and that the patterns used do have cross-over applications. 8) That being the case, I think the choice fits into your concern. 8) 8)

Participation in a swap is by choice and, I'd encourage you to participate. 8) 8) 8) Surely, you could come up with a choice of flies that'll catch Steelhead or Trout 8) 8) You could tie a Caddis pattern (dry or wet), for example, as Steelhead or Trout may be caught on them in valley rivers or any large waters. 8) What about a Pheasant Tail Nymph :?: :?: Or Gordon Langenbeck's nymph pattern that he uses on the Rogue :?: :?: :idea: Another choice might be a spey pattern.....

Nearly anything can be a Steelhead pattern. 8) Don't let your choice be limited by traditional perceptions.

Adam Grace
03-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I posted before I read your post Darian. I understand your comments.

I may join in.

MSP
03-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Darian, just read your last post and I think I will change my pattern to one that I have had great success with on the "A" and the "Y" during the 1/2 pounder runs. It's a Carpet Caddis dry fly. Simple but effective.

Darian
03-27-2005, 11:04 AM
OK Mike,.... Thanks for the note..... I've been curious about that fly (....you mentioned it in other posts).

Hairstacker
03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Mike is tying a Carpet Caddis dry? Ok, I'm in. :lol: I have GOT to have a copy of that fly, which is unobtainable in ANY fly shop that I'm aware of. I don't know what pattern I'm tying yet though.

I REALLY like Darian's idea of toe tags, as I still haven't figured out who tied what pattern from the 1st fly swap. In fact, when I get around to it, I'll probably post 2 pictures that provide the line up of flies from the 1st swap so folks can chime in and tell me which is which. Hope no one minds.

I think Adam is right on target when contemplating swap themes, although as David said, it's ultimately up to the swap host. (Agree, not a problem for April's since it's sufficiently broad.)

Terry Thomas
03-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi Darian,
Count me in for the steelhead swap. I'll tie some Herniators.
Terry

Darian
03-27-2005, 03:46 PM
OK guys,.... I've been resisting commenting on the points raised about chosing Trout flies because Trout season is arriving soon..... But, I feel like there's some limited perspective working, here..... :? :?

I'm solidly in the camp for the Swapmeister making a choice of patterns, regardless of approaching seasons. 8) 8) Trout Season may be approaching but so are Spring Steelhead, Cutthtroat Trout, Striped Bass, Black Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Carp and Shad; not to mention Catfish and Surf Perch and whatever else anyone wants to try to catch on a fly. 8) All of these fish are within easy striking distance of this area and are available almost all year. :D :D

Another consideration might be that tying one type of fly all of the time limits ones capabilties to that area (.....in both fishing and tying). :? :? Many patterns have cross over affectiveness in catching all or some of the above fish. 8) 8) If one of our Black Bass guys chooses Hair Bugs for BB, will he encounter resistance from making that choice :?: :?: ; a valid choice for this time of year and this area :?: :roll:

So, I guess I'm at a loss to explain this need to tie the choice of patterns to approaching Trout season :? :? :? To do so might limit the number of people making the choice of whether to participate at all..... :( :(

Darian
03-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Sorry guys,..... Just had to get that frustration off my plate :x . The Devil made me do it :lol: :lol: .

Anyway, here's an updated list of April Participants and their choices:

Darian - Silver Hilton (variant)

David - Mossback

PaulC - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive and Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Choice Later

Mike - Carpet Caddis (dry)

Mike S. - Choice Later

Adam - (Maybe :?: )

Terry - Herniator

Again, sorry for the rant..... :oops: :oops:

Hairstacker
03-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Sorry Darian, hope it wasn't my comment that pushed you over the edge. :( I see your point too, because I'm interested in learning about all kinds of flies. Particularly with shad season coming up in May/June, I've been researching some of those patterns lately. I'm sure I'll be tapping into you guys for some ideas shortly. :D

David Lee
03-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Darian - that wasn't much of a rant , hang out with me more often .... I'll show ya how to :twisted: RANT :twisted: !!

I guess I'm funny about when I tye what I tye . I love to tye summer bugs in the dead of winter , it makes me think about what I'm missing .

Classic Steelhead flies are tyed in July/August here at home .... By that time , I'm SICK of summer stuff , having been tying to fill the boxes for over 2 or 3 months in-between trips out on the water .

O.K. , so I'm a bit strange .... :roll:
David

Tony Buzolich
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Darian,
Glad to see that someone else out there uses some of the older traditional patterns like myself, your Silver Hilton.
I use mostly Comets and variations there of and have been very successful in just about any river I fish for both steelhead and salmon. I use the same flies for both.

Two questions: (1) How many are you planning on tying? plus one for the pot.
(2) What are "toe tags"?

Thanks for the help,
TONY

Gregg Machel
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
(1) Right now I think we have nine people signed up, so "plus one for the pot" means that you would tie ten flies. The extra one goes to a good cause (to be determined).

(2) Toe Tags are a little tag you attach to each fly that has general information about the fly. Your name, the fly name, materials, etc. Nothing fancy, just something to add organization.

Hope this helps! :)

Darian
03-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Tony,..... As you already know, traditional Steelhead flies are easy and fun to tie, good looking and effective..... 8) 8) I've probably tied/used more of Steelhead flies than any other. Interestingly, the Silver Hilton (small sizes) is effective at elevation in places like Indian Creek Rsvr.

Anyway, the current number is as Gregg stated it but that might change between now and the 5th of April. There may be more participants then... 8) 8)

Toe Tags are an experiment/suggestion.... Not mandatory 8) . It was originally suggested by Jeff Goding :idea: :idea: and I tried what I understood them to be with the March Swap :).

My version of a Toe Tag consists of a strip of paper approximately 1 1/2" X 1/2" in size with my name and the fly name on it. I printed out the tags in advance and cut them out. Then stuck the point of the hook thru a corner of the tag. It wasn't too bad :wink: :wink: . Got tired of sticking the point of the hook into my fingertips, tho :roll: :roll: :P :P

Hope you want to participate :D :D :D

PaulC
03-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Since I'm remote, can someone post or email me the info on where to send these guys?
Should have the patterns cranked out this weekend if the sun permits (using UV knotsense for epoxy back).
paulcronin@adelphia.net

Darian
03-29-2005, 10:38 PM
Paul,.... Check your e-mail for my mailing address and thanks....

Tony Buzolich
03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Okey guys, Count me in too. I'll be tying a "Coal Car".

I've used this pattern a lot on the Eel and the Feather with great success.
When do you plan on shutting the number of contributors down so we can know how many to tie?

As this is my first swap, how is the best way to send the flies and where do we send them?
TONY

MSP
03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey Darian, the rivers are high and I'm bored. My April swap flies are done, complete with toe tag and a sample of the yarn I use to tie most of my flies. If we don't get at least dozen swappers I wouldn't mind tieing up another pattern. Wait let me see the flows . . . . . . . . . Yuba 2764.4 cfs, American 9850cfs, yea I'm bored. I even fished the concrete pond in the middle of the development I live in. Didn't get a sniff :( . Send me a pm of your address when you get a chance. I won't send my flies till the entry deadline in case we get more than 12 swappers. Thanks for being the April Swapmiester.

Jgoding
03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi guys, count me in...

I'm gonna try a pattern I saw online.... the zuddler........... Zonker + Muddler........... Global flyfisher is where I saws it!!

Jeff

Darian
03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
OK guys here's some info and the latest udate of participants:

Mike (msp) - check your PM for my mailing address 8) . Check the number of participants/flies, following, required. It's changed 8) 8) .

Updated list of participants/patterns:

David Lee - Mossback

Paul Cronin - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive & Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Choice later

Mike (msp) - Carpet Caddis (dry)

Mike Schobey - Choice later

Adam Grace - Maybe

Terry Thomas - Herniator

Tony Buzolich - Coal Car

Jeff Goding - Zuddler

Looks like we have a total of nine and potential of ten partcipants. Adam hasn't actually committed yet :wink: :wink:

This Swap has some very interesting patterns in it 8) 8) . Gonna be a lot of fun :wink: Remember, the swap closes on April 5th..... 8)

Darian
03-30-2005, 04:42 PM
OK,.... Que the dummy :oops: :oops: Forgot to include my own name/pattern:

Sorry guys :oops: :oops: ,..... North wind ya know :wink:

David Lee
03-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Better than an EAST wind !!! Thanks for hosting this one , who's got May ?? Very nice to have new guys in on this , I was starting to wonder if the Swap-thing would take off . :mrgreen: David :mrgreen:

MSP
03-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Just a thought, but I think a picture of the swap flies and a note with the tyer and recipe would be better and easier for mailing then creating a toe tag. I had my flies in a 3" diameter container until I added the toe tags, then it went to a full size fly box. I would be happy to take a pix of the flys for April and note the tyer and recipes and post it for all board viewers to see. Might generate more involvement in the future swaps and also show off the masterpieces that are being swapped. Let me know what you think.

Gregg Machel
03-31-2005, 11:23 PM
That sounds like a good idea to me. What I actually did was a quick one-page sheet of paper with the flies that listed what it was and the materials used. That's good for the initial batch, but then I thought (after the fact) what are all the other people going to do.

Perhaps have a topic titled: "March Fly Swap Results" and we each make a single post with a pic of our fly with the name/materials/instructions posted below it.

MSP
03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
I think if we could keep it all on one post with a picture of the flys with numbers and the info below we could all view it on one post. Trying to keep it simple. Not sure everyone has the ability to post pictures. If someone takes on the posting job for each swap it would make things easy for everyone. Just PM the poster with the information, copy, paste and nobody gets hurt :lol: .

Darian
04-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Hmmmm,..... I certainly agree that a picture of the swap flies would encourage partcipation and I like the idea :idea: 8) 8) 8) . Since we all don't have a digital camera, it does require a centralized volunteer to take/post the picture(s) who has one....

I'm not sure what everyone did with their flies, yet :? :? ..... So, why don't we wait until we get the flies in one place and make up our minds how to go about doing this at that point :?: :?: :?:

Gregg Machel
04-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I can take some pictures, that won't be a problem.

Tony Buzolich
04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi Darian,

Okey, it looks like we're just about done with contributors, nine at my last count, plus one for the pot.
So where do we send them?, and what is the best way to get the exchanged flies returned?
If we send them in a nice box with our names on it, the exchanged flies could be returned to the owner of that box. That way you'd be sure to get your box back.

If you didn't want to go to the expense of postage, they could be centralized and kept at Bill's shop for pick-up.
TONY

Darian
04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Tony,..... Nine plus one is not yet certain as Adam hasn't actually committed. So, we need to know from Adam whether he is actually participating..... :?: :?:

I submitted my first swap in a small box thru the mail and it came back with the swap flies in it. No "Toe Tags" or written tying instructions. For the March Swap, I sent the flies, "Toe Tags" and written instructions in a Zip Lock bag inside a postal mailer.... 8) 8) There wasn't enough room in the box to do that.... :( :(

If you choose to mail the flies to me or give them to someone at Kiene's, I'll assemble and redistribute all of them, regardless of the type of packaging (after having digital photo's taken for posting). 8) 8) 8)

Check your PM for my mailing address.....

Thanks for participating Tony....

Hairstacker
04-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Darian, am I to understand you are hosting but not tying? According to the list on the previous page, if you count yourself AND Adam, it's 11 swappers altogether, 10 if Adam doesn't participate. :lol:

Darian
04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
OK everyone,..... This is the latest update of particpants for April:

David - Mossback

Paul - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive & Tan Super Pupa (2)

Jason - Will choose pattern later

Mike S. - Will choose pattern later

Adam - Prospective (Not yet committed)

Terry - Herniator

Tony - Coal Car

Jeff - Zuddler

Need for Adam to confirm if he's partcipating. 8)

For those making choices of patterns, please don't forget to advise me of the choice. 8) 8)

Remember, the swap is open to new partcipants thru the 5th. So, we won't know for sure until the partcipant listing is closed..... 8) 8) 8)

PaulC
04-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Guys,
The sun cooperated this weekend and managed to cure the epoxy backs.
Even managed to get a bit of surf fishing in:)
So, I'm done with the blue copper john variant flies.
Tied with tungsten beads to make up for the pattern's simplicity.

I guess I need to know how many to send as that seems to be in question.
Second, I assume we are not using toe tags, but just sending a list of materials used as a note which would be posted later with a digital picture?
Let me know whats up and I'll get these off in the mail.
Darian- Tried to reply to your email but it bounced back. If you're ever in
the area let me know and I'd be happy to show you around. Just send an email.

Thanks again for lettin me participate. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys have been using up there.
-Paul

Darian
04-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Paul,..... No problemo.... :D "Toe Tags" and the written materials description were suggested but optional for this swap..... 8) 8)

Still can't give you an exact count of flies. I'll post a note on the 5th to let everyone know the final count.... 8)

Sorry for the E-mail problem. No explanation. Maybe my security program is set too high. it seems to reject attachments, regularly.... Really ticks me off. :x :x

Darian
04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
OK,.... Sign up for the April Fly Swap is now closed. Names/patterns of the participants follow:

David - Mossaback

Paul - Blue Copper John

Gregg - Olive/Tan Super Pupa (2 Ptrns, 22 flies)

Jason - Will choose pattern later

Mike S. - Will choose pattern later

Terry - Herniator

Tony - Coal Car

Jeff - Zuddler

Ten Partcipants for this swap.... Total of 11 flies needed for completion. 8)

I'll PM my mailing address to all partcipants. When completed, send in your flies to me or drop them at Kiene's for pick up. I'll work with Gregg to create photos and a single posting. :D :D

Include, in your mailing, your return address, Toe Tags (optional) and a written description of the pattern you tied. We'll get this done ASAP after receipt of the flies.... 8)

Thanks to everyone for partcipating.... :D :D :D

Hairstacker
04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Darian! I've decided to pick the Fox Poopah for this swap. I have read that it is a KILLER pattern. :D Thanks!

Darian
04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey guys,... Flies have started to come in :D :D . Those received, so far, are very good.... 8) 8) 8)

The first batch received, included "Toe Tags" and a computer printed card (approx. 3"X4") that has a description of the parttern and it's intended use.... :D Great touch 8) 8)

I'm still working on mine..... :shock: :shock:

Adam Grace
04-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Sorry about not respondng sooner but I just read the latest posts on this thread. I am pretty busy unpacking here in Chico. I still have to register for the fall semester. My tying desk is not even completed or uncovered by the mound of crap which has blanketed the whole thing. I am unpacking and cleaning up in between shifts at my new job at Best Buy.

I need to tie some panfish poppers for my little bouts of evening bluegill fishing. I'm running out of flies but I do not quite have to the time to take careof everything at once.

I will not be participating in the swap.

Have Fun

Darian
04-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Received some more flies today. The Carpet Caddis; they look great 8) 8) . You guys're gonna like these flies.... :D :D

Hairstacker
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Ah, the Carpet Caddis, the one I'm looking forward to the most. . . . Mike's been KILLIN' 'em (figuratively speaking) on anything carpet-related. :D

MSP
04-18-2005, 03:49 PM
KILLIN" em? :roll: I'm quite sure any normal patterns would work just as well, probably better. I just tie all my flys using that material. There is a sample of it with the flys I sent for the April Swap. Someone with an imagination could probably find other ways to use it.

CAUTION! When the 1/2 #ers are rising to the Caddis on the "A". If you throw that Carpet Caddis you may not get it back :shock:

Jasonh
04-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, i finally figured out what i am going to tie for the swap. It is a ice dub caddis emerger that has worked for me on the American for steelies and half pounders and trout on the yuba. I think ya'll enjoy!

Jason Hartwick

Darian
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi Jason,.... Good to hear from you and noted your choice.... 8) 8) I'll update the list at a later date.

Terry Thomas
04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi Darian,
I'll drop off my flies at Kiene's Expo tomorrow.
Thanks,
Terry

Darian
04-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks Terry,..... I'll be there, myself, until about 1:30 PM 8) 8) . Gotta get back downtown by 2:30 PM.... :( :( Hope to see you there and to thank you personally for your participation :D :D .

Darian
04-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey guys,.... a new batch of flies was received today 8) . They look great. This is gonna be a very good bunch of flies for your collections/fishing.... :D :D :D

Keep 'em comin'..... :D :D

Darian
04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Just a reminder.... we're rapidly approaching the end of April and only four of the fly packages have been received....

If any of you have left your flies at Kiene's and haven't heard from me about picking up, let me know by e-mail or msg.

Thanks

Jgoding
05-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey Darian,

With any luck, the zuddlers will go out tomorrow! I'm going to send 10 and keep the one you are going to send back anyways. I think that works out right anyways. I will post a pic later tonight if I can edit the pic to make it worth viewing.

Jeff

Gregg Machel
05-04-2005, 07:21 AM
I must confess that I am delinquent in getting my flies tied. Last month was very busy and ultimately led to me being here in my current location of Bangalore India. I won't return home until after the 21st of this month, so I may not be able to deliver my flies for this fly swap. My apologies. :(

Darian
05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
WOW :!: :!: .... Guys,.... Gregg's been "outsourced" to India :shock: :shock: :lol:

Hope you're catchin' some fish over there.... :P

No problemo on the flies 8) . Thanks for the notice. I was looking forward to seeing your flies but there'll be other swaps to participate in 8) . Hope everything's going well for you over there.... :D :D

Jgoding
05-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey Darian,

Flies will be dropped off at the Royal Oaks P.O. today and since they have to go about 5 miles to your post office, they should be there tomorrow. Had fun tying these and I tried to make them all perfect. Trimming the stupid collar sucked nuts though.

I'm sending 10. I didn't sleep at all last night and I got into work at 4:30 this morning so no toe tags either. I might make some here at work tho...

Darian
05-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Jeff,.... Looking forward to seeing those flies 8) . The collar part is intriguiging :? . Not familiar with the pattern. I'm assuming that it has a spun deer hair head.... :?: :?:

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Gregg, no problem, don't worry about it. It'll happen to all of us sooner or later. Hope you have a safe trip and look forward to your flies in future swaps. :D

Darian
05-04-2005, 11:19 AM
OKaaaayy,.... Another batch of superbly tied flies was received today. We're makin' progress... :D :D . Should receive the Zuddler's tomorrow or the next day 8) . Then, we're gettin' close to sortin'/packagin'/distribution..... :D :D :D

Jgoding
05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi Darian,

The zuddler was named because it is the fusion between a zonker and a muddler minnow. Basically, tie in flash tail, rabbit strip, body, secure front of strip. I added a marabou collar, then some rubber legs, then a deer hair wing is added. I prefer more of a collar then a wing, so I went middle ground. I tied in an upper wing and a lower wing. Oh yeah, cone head. Push the cone head back onto the hair, which pushes butts back some. Global flyfisher guys said leave un trimmed.... no way. I like smoothness and symmetry so i trimmed the butts. So hard to get them even ( i was never good at it....) I trimmed them long though, so if you want, you can have at it more if it is not to your liking.

Jeff

Darian
05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Jeff,.... Are you kidding :?: :?: :!: I would no more think of altering another tyers original work than I would consider drinking a shot of vodka before Irish Whiskey... :wink: :wink: :wink: . That'd be like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. :lol: :lol:

Interesting how a simple mixture of two basic patterns makes one good fly pattern... 8) 8) .

Jgoding
05-04-2005, 12:05 PM
LOL! I remember doing about 5 shots of vodka before Jack daniels.... it didn't bode well......

LOL

Well, other patterns I saw trim the butts to form a nice tapered head with the cone... so I guess, I again went middle ground by trimming them but leaving them kind of long.... I think they look good to me.

http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=S1025&Category_Code=

Here's a link to someone's zuddler. It looks alright to me. I added a marabou collar and a little bit of krystal flashy as well so let me know if you think it's improvement or just a waste of marabou.....LOL.

Jeff

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Darian, very well said, and I am in total agreement. Has NEVER occurred to me to "tweak" a swap fly received. Wouldn't even consider it.

Hairstacker
05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Jeff, not that I would consider fishing swap flies either but maybe leaving the butts like you have improves the fly's fish-catching ability by "pushing" water when its stripped? I know some folks are big believers in a sunk fly's action on the water surrounding it. . . .

Jgoding
05-04-2005, 01:52 PM
So what you guys are telling me is that I am the only one who cuts up all the swap flies to see how they're tied???? LOL

I thought the same thing Mike about the larger profile. Well, the check..errrrr flies are in the mail Darian. The dude behind the counter said they should be there tomorrow.

Jeff

Darian
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Great lookin' fly. Good site, too. Have you ever tried this fly for Stripers :?: :?: In larger sizes and elongated, it looks like it might make a fair imitation of a Lamprey Larva :roll: :roll: .

Jgoding
05-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Nope, never tied any streamers before except about half a dozen zoo cougars. I picked this one for this swap because the global flyfisher story said they nailed steelies with them.

Jeff

David Lee
05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Savages -

The "Summer-Run Death" Mossbacks went out today , should reach our hero of the month tomorrow .....

Two things about them -

#1. - They have very small ribs ... I've tyed them w/ larger ones but the small bit of flash gets bit better (when I use them , anyways ...)

#2. - They look "sloppy" , so don't get yer panties in a knot - I tyed them that way for a reason (yeah , right !!) . The messier they are , the more Steelie likes them . Many times I've has the most ragged ones eaten over the fresh ones (more buggy lookin' , me thinks) . Also used TMC 7989 light wire hooks for more solid sets , also no weight .

Hope ya like 'em ... They catch Pit river Trout as well as Steelhead .

David

Darian
05-04-2005, 10:56 PM
David,.... You sure you didn't send in some well used Mossbacks :?: :?: :?: I'm gonna give 'em a sniff test, ya know :P :P

Actually, shaggy sounds great.... 8) 8) Some of the best flies I ever used were the shaggiest in the box. Wait 'til you see my variation of the Silver Hilton. :shock: :shock: I'm looking forward to seeing your "mossbacks"..... 8) 8)

Darian
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone,.... Picked up a batch of Ice dub Caddis Emergers today. They're impressive as are all of the flies done for this swap... 8) 8) . Shouldn't be too long 'til the rest arrive and I can take care of the distribution.

I know we agreed to post photo's of the april Flies.... But Gregg is unable to photograph flies & post 'em to the BB (....due to his work commitments/location). I will be distributing the flies without that step 8) .

I guess if anyone who has a digital camera would want to, that person could create the photo's and post 'em. (....I don't have a digital camera being technology resistant :lol: :wink: :P :P :P )

Darian
05-06-2005, 05:53 PM
OK,.... All of the remaining flies have been received.... They're all very good 8) 8) . You guys're gonna enjoy these flies for your collection or fishing (or examination by Jeff :P :P )

Think maybe David overstated his case about his flies looking shaggy. Those Mossbacks're some of the best I've seen.... 8)

Now the real work starts. :lol: :lol:

Darian
05-11-2005, 11:37 AM
OK,.... With the exception of one batch, the April flies are in the mail (this AM)... 8) 8) . Judging from what I saw, we have some exceptional fly tiers among our bretheren.... I'm sure the professionals among us would agree 8) 8) 8) .

Special thanks to Mike Putnam who included a sample of the body material he uses to tie his Carpet Caddis (.... a killer lookin' fly) :D :D .

JasonH, please check your e-mail for my note. Wasn't able to send one set of flies as the return address was so faint on the copy of the label it was not readable.... 8) .

Had a great time hosting this swap.... Hope you guys like the flies as well as I did :D :D :D . Now I can get started on the May flies... :roll: :roll: .

Hairstacker
05-11-2005, 12:22 PM
A sample of Mike's material! . . . so cool! 8) Really looking forward to seeing these flies, as always. Feels like Christmas every time I hear swap flies have been placed in the mail. :lol:

Darian
05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
OK Guys,..... Time for me to right another wrong :oops: :oops: . I inadvertantly misspelled Mike Putman's last name in my prior post.... :roll: :roll: Please accept my apologies Mike :( :( .

MSP
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
No problem Darian, believe me you are not the first one to do it. I don't even correct it anymore it happens so often. Maybe I should just change my name :lol:

Hairstacker
05-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Darian, I have no doubt that Mike thought nothing of it, as he said, 'cause I can totally relate. Heck, I could hold a contest on the proper way to pronounce my last name, I've heard so many variations of it in my lifetime. :lol:

MSP
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
OK now I'm really embarassed! :oops: Just got the Swap flies and I must say they are outstanding! :shock: I was hoping the 1/2 pounder run would be going strong but since it is not my fly is looking a little weak compared to the others. I guess I could look at it as my gain and your losses but I think I will just look at it as my gain. But look at it this way, you could still use the Carpet Caddis to catch a trout or two. As you can probably tell my flys aren't for show they are to fish with so give it a try and see what happens. Great flys guys! Thanks!

PS Thanks to Darian for being the Swapmiester! Nice Job!

Tony Buzolich
05-12-2005, 08:25 PM
This is my first fly swap and I'm really pleased with what I got in exchange. These are definitely a wide spread to the term "steelhead flies" as some of these cater to half-pounders and trout size fish while others aretrue classic patterns.
In either case, they're all beautiful and I'll be trying them soon,

Thanks to All,
TONY

Hairstacker
05-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I just got mine in the mail too and . . . WOW!! Once again, I'm blown away and humbled. . . . Tony's right, quite a variety represented in this swap. GREAT flies, ALL of 'em. Mike, you have absolutely NUTHIN' to be embarrassed about -- your fly looks EXACTLY right to me and the fish love it -- I fail to see your concern AT ALL. And, to top it off, you have sent us each a sample of your super-exclusive, magical yarn, which I have looked forward to as much as the flies. 8) Thank you very much all, and especially to Darian for hosting. And Darian, you have set the standard for ensuring safe delivery of the contents -- for a moment there, I considered breaking out the power tools to make my way into the package. :lol:

Hairstacker
05-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh, and one other thing -- Jeff had asked earlier what we thought of the olive marabou collar and Krystal Flash he added to the Zuddler he tied for us. He speculated maybe it was a "waste of marabou?" Personally, I much prefer it with these elements added, just the way he did it. I like the color choice for the Krystal Flash as well -- Jeff, what color is that Krystal Flash specifically? Looks kind of purplish. . . (I'm going to have to get some, I really like that color.)

And David, you promised a "sloppy" mossback -- I feel gyped, the one I got isn't sloppy AT ALL. :lol: By the way, I really like how you and Darian tied your flies on classic black steelhead hooks with the upturned eyes -- very nice touch, really sets these flies off nicely. 8)

Jgoding
05-12-2005, 11:14 PM
I've had a long day so I haven't really had time to check all the flies out carefully but they all look nice to me. I'm going to frame up all the swaps flies somehow once the year is done.

Mike.... oddly enough that is "grey" crystal flash..... but yeah, it looks pretty damn purple to me but that's why I picked it. For some reason purple and natural were a good color combo in the article... but of course I found the purple pearl core braid after I was done.... so the body wasn't purple.....

I like that fox poopa. Going to definately tie up some of those and see if those fall half pounders like em.

Well, off to bed, have to be in at work at 5am...

Jeff

PaulC
05-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey Guys,
Just got the swap flies in the mail. Definitely an awesome selection of patterns to try out on the water next season!
Great patterns for off color water and smaller for clear conditions.
Thanks again for lettin a guy way down south join your swap.
Hope to make it to the american a couple times next season and maybe run into you guys in person.
-Paul

Btw, that fox's poopah is a killer pattern on the lower sac also. We did good last summer using a burnt orange vermille version.

Hairstacker
05-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Paul, heck, I want to thank you for joining in on the swap! Your Blue Copper John Variant is an awesome looking fly. Really hope you join in on all the upcoming swaps. 8)

Darian
05-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Paul,..... Second Hairstacker for your Blue copper John.... Especially the rubber legs (never would've thought of that one :? ) I'm gonna consider rubber legs for the Chartruese Copper John for Pyramid Lake, NV 8) 8) .

Keep in touch on your Baja trip. Looks like my partner and I are gonna try an impromptu, short trip to the La Paz area, shortly..... Jay's posts're really gettin' to me.... :lol: :lol: .

Good luck down there... 8) .

PaulC
05-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the kudos on the fly. It worked well last season when the water was clearing up to that nice steelhead green without the mudlines.
Lost the biggest fish of the season on it by getting too excited and not pushing the rod to the fish on a jump. Still left smiling with a straight hook version :)
I'll let you know how it goes out there in Baja in june. I've gone through white bucktails like they are disposible...its getting a bit ridiculous tying wise. Its amazing how much variation there is in that material. One bucktail I have is just terrible all over for tying baitfish patterns but would make a great tail for spinning hair patterns. So it goes, I guess I need to start tying bass flies with it.

Giving the 10wt a test flight offshore on sunday, so we'll see how it goes.
Haven't even casted the thing in the ocean yet...i feel like a kid at christmas. I've rattled the present but haven't opened it up yet.
-Paul

P.s. looking at these flies makes me wish steelhead season was closer. You never know what you'll hook into...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/3a404b70.jpg[/img]

Darian
05-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone,..... Finally got the last address and mailed the last batch of flies, yesterday.... 8) 8) .

The flies (as you've already seen) were very good.... The kind of flies I'll be able to display 8) . Thanks to all for participation and the help.... :D .

Sorry for being unable to deliver on posting of photos for the April flies.... :( However, nothing would stop anyone with the capabilties from taking/posting the photo's themselves.... I found "toe tags" a good addition to the process 8) .

Again, thanks to everyone for participating :D :D :D

Hairstacker
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I would like to second Darian's comments regarding "toe tags," I have found them VERY useful, particularly when they identify the name of the tyer and the name of the pattern. Otherwise, I will forget these things and may not be able to re-construct based on reviewing past bulletin board posts.

PaulC
05-20-2005, 07:31 PM
If you guys need someone to post pictures of the flies, I could put a collage together and post it for ya. Similar to the one I did of those baja flies.
Let me know...surf's high and after a 1 perch day on three beaches, I might be doing more tying than fishing this weekend, so I should be near the camera and computer.
-Paul

Hairstacker
05-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Paul, that would be GREAT if you're willing! I'd do it myself but it is pretty hit and miss for me to get a decent close-up picture on my camera.

PaulC
05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Will do, I'll throw something together tomorrow.

PaulC
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry for the delay. Ended up going out fishing this weekend....it was too nice to sit inside tying despite the high surf.
Here goes with the image. A legend is below with the who, what pattern, etc.
Hope this is what you guys were lookin for.
-Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/collage_redcopy.jpg

A- Blue Copper John Variant tied by myself.
B- Carpet Caddis tied by "MSP" Mike Putman
C- Coal Car tied By Tony Buzolich
D- Fox Poopah tied by "Hairstacker" Mike Schobey
E- Herniator tied by Terry Thomas
F- Ice Dub Caddis Emerger tied by Jason Hartwick
G- Moss Back tied by David Lee
H- Silver Hilton Variant tied by Darian Calhoun
I- Zuddler tied by Jeff Goding

[/url]

Hairstacker
05-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Paul, it's perfect, THANKS!!! More importantly, did you catch anything?

PaulC
05-22-2005, 10:11 PM
It definitely was better than Friday, although the surf like your guys' high flows makes it rough lately.
Ended up fishing a local area which is slightly protected by the harbor breakwall. Even with the breakwall, I still allmost got bowled over a couple times by an errant wave.
Between three of us we picked up somewhere between 20-30 perch and lost a couple big thumpers...probably halibut. Caught a few pregnant females which is late...usually thats the march/april timeframe.
Seems like everything is shifted off a month or so this year due to the weather. Hopefully, the good weather sticks with us so we can all get out fishing more often.
-Paul

Darian
05-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Paul,..... Those photo's made the April Swap perfect for me 8) 8) 8) I don't know how you did it but the photo of the Siver Hilton made it look better than it actually was :lol: . Thanks for all your efforts on this :D :D :D

Hairstacker
05-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Paul, 20 - 30 surf perch is not bad at all! Sounds like you had a fun weekend. At this point, I'd be happy to catch 20 of anything. :lol: I agree about the shifting thing, I've noticed about the same thing up here in the Delta -- seems like summer is a month behind with respect to the water, even though the weather is starting to shape up. As you and others have proven, though, there's always something to catch somewhere, just have to put a little more thought into it. 8)

MSP
05-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Paul very nice job on the swap pictures. I think it could get others involved in the future. Love the Blue Copper John, actually I love them all :lol:

Jasonh
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the photos Paul. Great looking flies for this swap that i am looking forward to using a bunch this fall.

Jason Hartwick

Adam Grace
05-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for taking the time to show us all the flies from the swap Paul :!:

PaulC
05-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I figured I'd post a couple pictures from this past weekend, as hairstacker asked how the fishin was. First is one of the bigger perch. They don't get that big, but can be fun if you find a group of em.
The second are some babies as one of the perch gave live birth to despite gentle handling. All were released of course, but probably ended up as bait for the halibut... Since most other species grub on these little guys I figured it might give you some ideas for patterns if going coastal in the near future. I assume the red tail perch up north follow the same schedule.
In spring, red patterns or just general clousers work good on the perch and other species for that matter down here.
-Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/hollywood_perch_sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/baby_perch_sm.jpg
[/img]

Hairstacker
05-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Paul, GREAT pictures, thanks for sharing them! That is a very nice surf perch, beautiful fish! 8) 8) 8)