PDA

View Full Version : Trading different flies ??

David Lee
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi guys !

Randy asked about trading flies ... I think that would be pretty neat !

There are only a few patterns that I don't tye , but still like to use ..... Whitlock's Deep Sheep Shad is one that I don't tye , but would be willing to trade a dozen of WHATEVER for a dozen D.S.S. in return ....

If anyone wants to do this , we can PM the info (fly lists ...) back and forth and see what happens ... David :mrgreen:

Darian
03-26-2005, 02:06 PM
"Trading Different Flies"..... Hmmmmm, sounds interesting. 8) But, what about trading normal flies :?: :roll: What is a "different" fly :?: (...You can tell I haven't been fishing much, lately :roll: )

Actually, I like the idea :idea: From what I've seen of David's flies, we'd be getting the better of the deal. :D :D

David Lee
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I have a cure for you not getting out enough - please check your Email .

Let's say .... someone likes (??) to tye #20 PT nymphs , but doesn't like to tye 3/0 Striper flies ... or #10 Humpies - swap a dozen of whatever for a like amount from the other person .
HEY .... why am I explaining this ?!? You know what I mean !! Check yer Email and say YES - David PS - bring a heavy spinning rod , I'll catch the shiners !! :twisted:

Hairstacker
03-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Darian, I'm still in deep shock that there actually exists a pattern David doesn't tie. (You know he has enough materials to stock 4 fly shops, don't you?) And then I get woozy and dizzy when I dare to contemplate the thought that he might actually fish with a fly he didn't tie himself. I think I need to go lay down.

David Lee
03-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Truth be told .... I love that Whitlock Deep Sheep Shad , but if I pick-up ALL of the crap to tye a reasonable amount (a few hundred) , I am probably looking at a divorce . I just can't justify spending another $80.00 or so dollars when I have SOOOO much stuff here that comes close to what I need for that fly (but not close enough) . If any of you suckers ... er , tyers out there want to swap some , lemmy know .
David

Hairstacker
03-26-2005, 02:55 PM
David, is it possible the rest of us might have the needed materials? If you can provide a list of what you're missing, I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to send you whatever I have. I suspect, though, that if YOU don't have it, it must be really obscure and I probably don't have it either. Heartily willing to try, though. . . . :D

Darian
03-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Mike,..... You sure you haven't been using adhesives in a closed space again :?: :?: :P :P :P :P

randy
03-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Truth be told .... I love that Whitlock Deep Sheep Shad , but if I pick-up ALL of the crap to tye a reasonable amount (a few hundred) , I am probably looking at a divorce . I just can't justify spending another $80.00 or so dollars when I have SOOOO much stuff here that comes close to what I need for that fly (but not close enough) . If any of you suckers ... er , tyers out there want to swap some , lemmy know .
David-----yes that is what I was getting at. Do we really ALL have to go buy two life times of # 20 hackle? (no offense bill). Also some people are just better at certian flys. I can barely see a #22 anymore (I know that makes you want to trade with me). not sure if by mail or we all stock our boxes with our own deadly dozen that we're good at and meet up for a wom pom & trinket trade? I'll see your 2 buggers and raise you a zonker.

Darian
03-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Hey guys,..... Suddenly had a sobering thought :idea: . Even tho I like the idea of trading flies, we should keep in mind that this activity will compete with one of the items that Bill supplies thru his store (sales of flies 8) ) :? .

We probably should try to keep the amount down to a reasonable level..... 8) 8) Or, do it informally.

Adam Grace
03-27-2005, 10:13 AM
[quote=David Lee] I'll see your 2 buggers and raise you a zonker.

I see your zonker and raise you a zoo cougar!

Funny line!

David Lee
03-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Hmmmmm ... This thread is going in an interesting direction ! Jay Murakoshi said he went to a "swap-meet" a few weeks ago - a bunch of people get together and trade gear/flies/rods , etc. ..

I have a PILE of stuff that I don't need (a SACK of poly dry-fly dubbing in 45 different colors , lines I've never used , extra saddles ...) , I wonder how a swap meet works ?

Darian - I see your point about cutting into Bill's business , but I think swapping flies and things like that won't have too much of an impact on the shop (if you read this , Bill - feel free to correct me and delete this post) . Just a "small-scale" sort of thing .....

I hope the river drops soon , so I can fish and quit thinking about this stuff :oops: - David

Darian
03-27-2005, 10:57 AM
David,.... You're on the right track :D . We can keep it on a small scale. 8)

From what I've seen, swap meets are done by Clubs or groups. Haven't heard/seen any fly fishing swap meets in this area, recently....

Darian
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,.... Whatever happened on this topic :?: :?: Anybody conducted a trade, yet :?: :?: :?:

Hairstacker
04-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, if I get around to tying and trading a deer hair cicada pattern, Thom'll send me one of his specialities. 8) :D

SullyTM
04-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Mike...I'll step up for a trade or two...Now who else besides Darian and myself is tying for the May swap? MSP is a maybe...All it takes is 2 to tangle. I'll understand if it's just 2 of us...afterall, warm weather means dust collects on the tying gear. Monday deadline.

P.S. David, glad to read your thoughts. I know you were working all week and probably went through some fly withdrawals.