PDA

View Full Version : Adam Grace is leaving Kiene's Fly Shop

Adam Grace
03-26-2005, 01:43 AM
I have decided to leave Kiene's to persue a college education.

I will be moving up to Chico, CA, and living with two buddies of mine in a rented house while I attend Butte College in the Fall.

I will be making the move on April 9th and my last day at the shop should be Friday, April 8th.

I have really enjoyed working at the shop and getting to know you guys during your visits. I will miss talking shop you and many of our other friendly customers.

Can you believe that I was getting paid to talk about fly fishing :?: :D

I appreciate the opportunity which Bill and Marilyn gave me. I learned more than I ever expected about this great sport while working for 6 years at the shop thanks to Bill, Jeff, Andy and the other guys at the shop.

I will not leave entirely.

I will still post on this board as much as possible and visit when ever I'm in town.

Take Care Guys.

It's Been Fun :!:

David Lee
03-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Chico , eh ??? Hope your liver is up to the task :twisted: . Ahhh , well ... look at the bright side - you'll be closer to the Pit river :!:
Have a good time and remember - the best education that money can buy cannot replace common sense . Keep yer eyes open and be a good fella . David

Hairstacker
03-26-2005, 05:13 AM
Adam, good luck!! Great idea to get college out of the way while you're still young and aren't busy raising a family. Have you decided what field to pursue?

MSP
03-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I get it, now you will be able to get out on the "Y" during the week :lol: We will all miss chating with you at the shop. Good luck and let's go fishing! :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Marilyn & I hate loosing Adam but we think getting a college education is very important today.

He managed our inventory expertly and kept everything in stock with a vengeance.

Adam has learned much about fly fishing and made lots of great friends here so he will take that with him to enjoy his entire life.

I am sure we will be seeing, fishing with and hearing a lot from him with all his buddies here in the fly fishing community plus his parent live in Sacramento very near the shop.

We have been lucky to have had some very special employees over the years and Adam is at the top of our list.

k.hanley
03-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Best wishes bud. Good decision... good luck and stay in touch. Did you have a "major" in mind????
Cheers, Ken

Darian
03-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey Adam,..... According to the news, this AM, there might be a part in a movie for you up there..... :P :P

Good luck. Keep in touch.... 8) :D

Terry Thomas
03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Adam,
Good luck...getting closer to some pretty good fishing too!
Terry

Jasonh
03-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Adam, its sad to know that you are leaving Kienes but am happy for you that you are pursuing a college education. Well at least you will be closer to some good fishing! I suppose i am going to have to find another spey entusiast around town to hang out with. Thanks for all your spey and fly tying tips and innovative patterns. Hopefully we can still get out and fish. Let me know if you can get out on April 9th cause i will be back in town the 9-17.

Rick J
03-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Adam - good luck in whatever you chose as a field - I have really enjoyed chatting at the shop and fishing with you. The sled is always ready for the Klamath so hope we can still get togther in the fall to go chase steelies. Lots of fun with the spey gear!

Best regards,
Rick J

Adam Grace
03-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words guys.

I will still be available to fish with on the Feather, Yuba and all those great waters north of Chico.

Send me e-mails from time to time and we'll see about taking a trip or two.

I caugth about 12 or so fat bluegills today up in Chico after a couple of job interviews. There is a pond in the community where my upcoming residence is located.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP1403.jpg

I caught all of those fish while standing in the same spot. Most of the fat fatties looked like they were spawning. It was too difficult to see into the water with all of these clouds today but all fish were caught on micro poppers. Yup, that's right on top :!: I wasn't too sure if the cold weather would put them down or not. I guess NOT :D

Below is a picture on one of these fat little bluegills

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/IMGP1406.jpg

I have been told that this pond holds some large baby duck eating Largemouth Bass. Yeeha :!:

I might need a ten wieght to cast a spun deer hair baby duck imitation but I gotta do what I gotta do :!:

I would love to see a bass crash onto that fly :twisted:

Thanks agian for the kind words guys :!:

DonCooksey
03-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Best of luck for your college education. Mike S. mentioned that it is good to get that out of the way while young. I thought so too about 31 years ago but have never left the university environment, except to go fly fishing, of course!

Gregg Machel
03-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Adam,
Watch out for that Great White Shark, he's following you!

http://westcoastdiscounters.com/adam2.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Adam,

I want a copy of that Bluegill picture. That is a really pretty fish.

Hairstacker
03-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Adam, that is a VERY nice bluegill and from the new neighborhood no less! Very good planning! :D

Jay Murakoshi
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Adam,

Great to see you're heading to college. I regret not getting a degree but I got my degree from Uncle Sam and the US Army. At least I learned how to fly helicopters.
I did end up with a good job with PG&E for 31 years and was fortunate to retire at an early age

Good luck and keep in touch with the shop and board

Jay

Adam Grace
03-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I just can't seem to get away from that Great White Shark. It likes me, I'm quite tasty I guess. Funny Picture Gregg!

I will be fishing my neighborhood pond here quite a bit. I'll let you guys know when I complete my baby duckling spun deer hair fly. I look forward to posting many pictures of the local fish.

I had an interview with Mac, the manager of the Fsih First in Chico yesterday. We'll see if he can find a way to fit me into the schedule.

I was notified after my interview at Best Buy that I will be working there part time in Digital Imaging. So I will soon be learning about many different digital cameras, cell phones and video recorders.

Those two jobs should balance me out for a while before school starts.

I will keep you guys up to date with my Chico life and fishing.

Happy Fishin!

SteelieD
03-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Great decision Adam! I spent several years in Chico before they finally told me to get outta there (fortunately they gave me a degree too!). Unfortunately I was not a fisherman at the time, I had friends who went but I could not be pried from the bar. If I only knew then what I know now! Have a great time, it is a wonderful little city. You are sure to enjoy these years!
Derek

Bob Scheidt
03-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Wow! This is news to me. Adam--you have what it takes to get thru school. I always thought you were top notch. Just remember to stay consistent on hittin the books. In other words--fool around, but not too much. I wish the Kiene's luck on filling your shoes.

Bob Scheidt

pearson
03-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Adam,

Good luck in Chico - you'll do fine, there aren't too many distracions there....

yea.

Jeff

Bill Quinn
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Adam,

Professionallly there are none better and personally your mama reared you well. College will be such a great environment for your talents and intellect, I'm sure success is only a semester away. Enjoy your journey as well as your destination whatever that will be. Keep in touch with all your uncles out here in cyberspace and we will do our best to guide you. We have a lot of mistakes that we own and we can share the wisdom gleaned from them. Best wishes.BQ

Adam Grace
03-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks again for the kinds words guys.

Looking back I am amazed by how many customers I have gotten to know and befriend during my six years at the shop. I have enjoyed helping you guys to enjoy this great sport. I am glad that I have had the chance to say good-bye to many of you guys at the shop. I would like to say good-bye to many more of you at the shop if you get the chance.

Thanks for the memories.

chicoflyguy
03-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Adam
I am a student at Chico and fish all the time up there. I highly recommend that you check out the Chico Fly Shop on 8th Ave. They have a line of fly rods that is second to none. The rod line is called Performance Ply and they claim it is the strongest blank that you can get. I have seen them break blank samples from many different rod lines and the PP is noticibly far better. Also the rods are pretty reasonably priced. They also have a huge selection of J Fair stuff and are great guys. Anyway good luck in school and lets hope the rivers clear soon.

PatrickM
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Hey Adam,
Sorry to hear your leaving, but at the same time it's good to see someone moving on and starting a new phase of their life. Glad we got to meet at least once! Hope to see you on the water some time.
Best of luck.
Patrick

Adam Grace
03-31-2005, 12:26 AM
I enjoyed meeting you as well Patrick. The fly swap BBQ was fun and a great experience to meet other bulletin board contributors. Even though I will not be at Kiene's you will still see me on this board. Hopefully Bill or someone else will organize a fish out for the bulletin board members.

Bill mentioned a fish out as an idea he has been thinking about.

steve sullivan
04-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Adam
I am a student at Chico and fish all the time up there. I highly recommend that you check out the Chico Fly Shop on 8th Ave. They have a line of fly rods that is second to none. The rod line is called Performance Ply and they claim it is the strongest blank that you can get. I have seen them break blank samples from many different rod lines and the PP is noticibly far better. Also the rods are pretty reasonably priced. They also have a huge selection of J Fair stuff and are great guys. Anyway good luck in school and lets hope the rivers clear soon.

I dont know about that. I like the guys at chico fly shop, but didnt you read Adam's post? He is getting a job at fish first. Dont think he is going to do much shopping at chico fly shop, especially with that big discount he will get at FF. Him doing his shopping at Chico Fly shop will be about as likely as the chico fly shop employees doing their shopping at fish first :)

Bryan
04-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Adam, sorry to see you leave. You have been a great source of help and inspiration. Good luck. Bryan M. :(

Ben Fishin
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Good luck Adam!! Thanks for your help