PDA

View Full Version : Clubin'

Digger
03-25-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm curious to know how many belong to a FF club, or organization.
I have thought about joining a local FFF club, but I wonder how worthwhile it might be.

Is the Federation of Fly Fishers considered the 'uber-organization' of fly fishing?
Or what other well known clubs are there?

Thanks

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm fairly new to fly fishing, but at the San Rafael show, I signed up for the Federation of Fly Fishers, but haven't got my membership card yet!

I think of the Federation of Fly Fishers like you said the 'uber-organization' of fly fishing, and the local clubs are the one's that you join to get active with the community (fly tying, fish-outs, river clean ups, etc.).

I had planned on joining one of the local clubs, but then I got pretty active on this board, and have been able to get active locally just by the associations that I make here on the message board and at Kiene's Fly Shop too.

My 2 cents.

Hairstacker
03-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Greg, good job, I think you explained that really well. I'm not a member of our local fly fishing club but I understand, like you explained, that they try to hold a fishout at least monthly, invite different celebrity fly fishermen to speak monthly on various topics like fly tying, fly fishing, locations, etc. They offer fly casting lessons and maybe fly tying lessons. As I understand it, they also have a raffle at their monthly meeting where you can buy tickets and have a chance to win a fly rod, or float tube, various accessories, fly boxes of flies, etc. And, of course, you get to meet and hook up with your fellow club members for outings and local fly tying sessions. For the membership fee, I'd say well worth joining, no question. Like any specialty club, there are going to be members who are real experts at various aspects of the sport, so it's a great opportunity to flatten out that learning curve in my opinion, and I would think you will learn about and fish waters that you otherwise might not. Hard to see where you could go wrong. If my hours weren't so screwy and I could make the monthly meetings on a regular basis, I would sign up quick, no question. Will probably do so anyway.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Here is the web link to a lot of organizations:

http://www.kiene.com/FlyFishingClubs.htm

Adam Grace
03-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Clubin' is great for those of you who do not work at a fly shop. I really like fly fishing but 5 days a week at the shop provides me with enough fly fishing socializing.

Before I worked at the shop I belonged to Granite Bay Fly Casters.

Club are great for lots of fly fishermen.