PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River March 12

jsteinson
03-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Fun day on the Yuba. Above the bridge and Skwalas on top. We were burned to a crisp before we knew it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jsteinson/YubaSkwala1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jsteinson/YubaSkwala2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jsteinson/YubaSkwala3.jpg

Adam Grace
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Great Pictures!

I'm glad to hear that the trout are still looking for the skwallas.

We have recently been low on skwalla flies until today. We got some topsy turvey skwallas in stock now for anyone else wanting fish them before they are gone for the season.

I hope that I get another chance to fish skwallas this season. It's always fun to catch trout on large dries :!:

jsteinson
03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Adam,

Your macro pics are outstanding. I actually tied up a Skwala pattern that uses CDC and black hackle. It is a super-quick tie and they loved it!! #12 with some hackle fibers for a tail, CDC Grey tied in about 3/16" from the eye and then black hackle to the eye. I will take a pic and post it but my Olympus Stylus 400 All-weather doesn't seem to have a "macro" feature. The "self-portrait" feature may work. The fly floats well and looks like the skwalas that were floating down the river. I tied them for a trip i'm taking next month to Missoula, MT. Just thought i'd give them a whirl on the Yuba. That was the first time I fished upstream of the bridge. Silly Me.

Jamie

Adam Grace
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I would love to see a picture of your skwalla pattern.

It sounds nice.

I think that I have seen some macro shots from your type of camera before.

I hope you will figure it out.

Hairstacker
03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Jamie, beautiful fish! I've never seen rainbows with so much red in them.

jsteinson
03-23-2005, 08:46 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/jsteinson/Skwala.jpg

The hackle up front is mostly for legs, not floatation. I had to take the photo from a couple feet away and then crop it to bring it close. Not the greatest, but you can see the pattern.

Adam Grace
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Nice Jamie!

Thanks for posting the picture of your fly.

I'm glad to hear that the Yuba trout gobbled it up.

MSP
03-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Nice fish, and fly Jaimie. Hey Adam, if you look at Jaimie's Skwalla, your Skwalla, and my Skwalla, I'm not sure you could tell they are representing the same bug. I'm getting the feeling that at times those "Y" fish aren't too picky. I say that and on Monday the trout were feeding on an emerger that I couldn't figure out. Saw a bunch of March Browns coming down the river and not one of them got touched while on the surface. Threw a MB emerger and not a sniff. Had to resort to the PMD to get a few grabs. Fishing, you got to love it! :D

BTW only saw a couple of Skwallas, I'm thinking they are just about through. I have been rolled on a couple of times the last few times I've been out but it seems to be slooooowing down. Still a go to along the banks if nothing else is happening.

jsteinson
03-23-2005, 11:37 AM
From what i've experienced, if the fish are looking up for big bugs, you can match the size and almost always fool a few. I have fed trout sticks during the Salmon fly hatch on Rock Creek in MT. The bigger bugs tend to make them a bit more aggressive. Especially Browns!!!

jsteinson
03-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Adam,
When the CDC gets wet, it lays down a little like stone fly wings.

Hairstacker
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
jamie, yeah, thanks for posting a picture of your fly! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the body? Is it just thread wraps of some color? And what color and length hackle fibers did you use for the tail? Hate to deviate from proven success. :D

jsteinson
03-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Mike,

I made this fly as simple as possible. I was going to tweak it a bit after I "researched" :lol: its floating capabilities. It was successful as is, so I added nothing.

The body is just 6/0 thread wrapped up and back. The tail is black hackle fibers from the hackle tied up front. The hackle up front is more for legs since the CDC floats like a big old red and white bobber. My dad sent that CDC out in a bag from PA. I think he stole it from a duck that was hanging around the horse pond. He wouldn't tell me where he really got it. :P