PDA

View Full Version : skittle fly in Belize

john
03-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I just got back from Belize(Ambergris). Although the wind was up most of the week, the fishing was still excellent. This post is more about the skittle fly's performance. Some of you may recall the posts about it here and on Dan's board earlier this year. I understand it to have been developed as a mantis shrimp permit fly. Let me tell you that it's the damndest bonefish fly I've ever seen. Belize bonefish are not tough. They're plentiful and, other than on some heavily pressured flats, usually willing to eat any or all the traditional flies. But this fly is the first I've ever had that literally pulls fish in from 15-20 feet. Time and again a cast that was stripped to keep it foot or so off the bottom, but as soon as it was spotted by the fish, left to sink, was rushed.. At the next quiver of the fly it was eaten. No hesitation, no refusals. I don't know if it's the long trailing rubber bands or the rabbit strip, but its a helluva fly. I've had the same guide for 4 years and this is the first fly he's ever cared about. The cool part was that the first cast I made with it resulted in a #20+ crevalle jack. Great fun on an 8wt. The fly lands softly and seems to be very durable. I'd only purchased one w/beadchain eyes, and my ties were miserable. But that one fly caught a dozen bones after the jack, and was still going strong until a barracuda took it. I ordered a dozen this morning.

Tony Buzolich
03-21-2005, 07:21 PM
John, Congratulations on a great trip and all the fun you had with the "Skittle fly". Where did you order them from and what size and color worked best for you?
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
http://www.kiene.com/images/skittle.jpg

I think this is the Skittle fly off the Orvis web site.

I think salt water fly tying has a was to go yet.

This is probably just a real good example of what happens when you get a salt water fly that actually looks and acts like the real thing.

Tying directions on the Orvis web site:

http://www.orvis.com/detail.asp?subject=506&index=24&dir_id=758&cat_id=&group_id=

john
03-22-2005, 07:13 AM
I ordered them from Orvis. Given the amount materials and tying steps I think $2.50 each is pretty good. There is only one color and 2 sizes. The #4 has beadchain eyes, while the #2 has silver barbells. I found the latter to be a bit much on an 8wt b/c the material hold a fair amount of water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the great report John.

I know the Belize River Lodge guides have been stripping faster for permit with shrimp imitations like Borski's Bonefish Slider.

We heard rumors about the Skittle but you are the first with a real report.

Like I said, even though salt water fishing is getting more popular all the time, they have a long ways to go with developing more sophisticated flies. When you are at a remote place where the fish have never seen a fly, the patterns don't have to be too good.

I have been fishing the Mexican Yucatan and Belize for over 20 years now with groups of friends/customers and still feel like I am at the bottom of the learning curve.

I think the Internet is a wonderful way to share and find information.

Thanks again.

PS: We probably need a WF9F or even a WF10F (on a 9 rod) to cast the bigger Skittle.

john
03-22-2005, 09:19 AM
"We (always) probably need..." Actually was already thinking. My 10wt XP throws a 9wt intermediate and a 9wf/rocket taper pretty well. Do you have a suggestion for a leader? Going back in July and can't wait.

Adam Grace
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
The flies name is "Skittal"

It is not a colorful candy :lol:

Hairstacker
03-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Adam, that is too funny! :lol: :lol:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
There has been a some confusion with the name in some articles I read a while ago.

John,

I would use a Rio Bonefish leader 10' x 13#.

I would use a WF10F Tarpon on that 10 wt XP for throwing that heavy #2 fly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
We have the Skittal flies in stock now.