PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Oregon River Fishing feedback

Task
03-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey there,
Just looking for a little feedback on fishing up in Oregon. A buddy and I are planning to drive upto Oregon to fish the Umpqua and the Deschutes over a week (float both of them). This is planned for late June. I've been reading how bad the drought conditions have been in Oregon on the web and am now wondering if I should rethink this trip. Can anyone shoot me some feedback on what to expect of these two rivers in late June and with the current drought conditions? Should we be rethinking our trip plans to these rivers?
Thanks,
Task

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Task,

Many float the Deschutes River in late June for the salmon fly hatch so it can get crowded.

Some of our guide friends up there prefer to float in July for the caddis activity with less crowds.

I don't know about floating the Umpqua River but it starts getting in some summer steelhead after the 4th of July traditionally so August, September and October are popular months for fly fishing for steelhead.

Down by Interstate 5 they have lots of Smallmouth on the Umpqua River.

For info on the Deschutes River I would contact The Patient Angler Fly Shop in Bend @ 541-389-6208

For the Umpqua River contact the Blue Heron Fly Shop @ 541-496-0448

Here is a web site that might have some info:

http://www.westfly.com/about/about.htm

Darian
03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Task,..... you might want to send an E-mail to Gordon Langenbeck who lives up there and is a frequent poster on this BB. Look in the member list for his E-mail address..... 8) 8)

Rick J
03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
The N Umpqua should have some fish in by late June - you can't float the fly water but it is easily accessible for the entire reach as the road parallels it with a trail on the other side of the river. I know below the fly water that folks drift this reach and it could be a better bet in June as I would expect more fish below the falls at Deadline (the fly fish water lower limit)

I was up there a week ago and the water was at summer flows but it is hard to tell what may happen weather wise between now and June.

Langenbeck
03-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Darian: I presume you are coming to Oregon looking for trout/steelhead. Forget the North Fork of the Umpqua until at least early July-it really fishes best in October. The Dechutes would be good in late June especially with low water conditions but can be quite crowded during that time of year.

What about still water? Klamath Lake near Rocky Point is usually good at this time of year. Also East Lake or Hosmer Lake.

If I were coming to Oregon to stream fish for trout/steelhead I would come in late Oct/early Nov to fish the Rogue and then would go wade fish the North Fork of the Umpqua. Also the upper Rogue near Shady Cove can be quit good the first two weeks of April for winter steelhead.