PDA

View Full Version : Guatemala Sailfish Blast Continues

bajafly
03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com

USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373

East Cape

The fishing here is definitely slow. We had South wind for three days, but it didn't seem to help. There are lots of boats coming back with nothing. A few big dorado were caught, but no concentrations of any fish. The sierra bite has been good at La Ribera, but is over by 7 a.m. I went out a few days ago and landed one small dorado and a few skipjack; all on red and white. The shore fishing has slowed down a lot. I have been catching a few ladyfish, but not near the numbers I was. Haven't caught a rooster or jack in days. The North wind picked up yesterday (3/17). Everyone here hopes it is the last blow of the season.

Report by Baja on the Fly guide Tim Selzer.

Water temperature 67-74
Air temperature 66-73
Humidity 58%
Wind: WNW 11 mph
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:31 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:26 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

Conventional fishermen were at the entrada three days ago and got one good-size halibut, a big grouper, yellowtail and lots of barracuda.

Shark fishermen have run into lots of squid a couple of miles outside the entrance. There is also loads of squid inside the bay and lots of whales – but definitely not good fishing inside.

Weather is absolutely beautiful. Very calm in the mornings with a slight wind after 12 noon.

Inside the estero (estuary) they have been catching corbina.

Water temperature 69-75
Air temperature 64-71
Humidity 58%
Wind: Calm
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 6:46 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:30 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

The cold water current still has the sailfish bite turned off. The blue water is beyond the 30 mile mark. The few boats venturing out that far are only raising one or two fish a day, and not seeing any signs of the tuna or marlin either.

Inshore, the birds are crashing on bait on the beach at Buena Vista and Barra Pototsi. There is still a very good jack crevalle bite going on. Today, (Friday) Martin on the panga “Isamar,” with client Andrew Vigil of Albuquerque, caught 12 of the big jacks averaging between 14 and 22 pounds. The jacks were taken on light line outfits using live bait and slowly-trolled Rapalas.

Yesterday, Felipe on the panga “Yellowfin,” caught 6 pompano from 12- to 15-pounds for his client. They also got 2 amberjack of 8 and 10 pounds, and 6 chulas. All the fish came from drifting live bait at the white rocks.

Baja on the Fly report by Ed Kunze

Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 73 - 89
Humidity 78%
Wind: West 11 mph
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:56 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:54 p.m. CST

San Jose, Guatemala

The conditions have been nice and consistent, but the run to the fish has varied this week with some fishing in as close as 25 miles and out as far as 40 miles. On the conventional side, there were 967 released sailfish out of 1347 hooked for an average of 21 per boat day. On the fly side there were 45 released sailfish out of 108 hooked for an average of 6 per boat day. Marlin made a strong showing this week with 5 released. Inshore, there was no one out.

Kim Kutsch, Jefferson, Ore., spent several days touring the countryside along with a group of his friends from all across the U.S. before going toe-to-toe with the notorious Guatemala sailfish.

This is what he had to say about the trip: “The fishing was spectacular and everything you made it out to be. I'll be looking at these pictures for a very long time. I think that was the most fun I've ever had with a flyrod. Thank you very much. After seeing the pictures and hearing the stories, Ryan is pretty certain I am bringing him to Guatemala next year in March during his spring break. The rest of the boys will feel the same way I am sure. I will get those dates from him and we will plan a trip.”

Water temperature 78 - 82
Air temperature 82 - 84
Humidity 94%
Wind: SE 13 mph
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 6:13 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:13 p.m. CST

San Jose, Guatemala report by Brian Barragy and Lissa McFarlin

For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com

USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373