PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Bass in moving water?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Where is the best Smallmouth Bass fishing you have seen in streams or rivers?

David Lee
03-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Bill .... I won't say where the BEST is , got to keep some things to yourself .

One of the nicer , more challanging spots I know of is Dry Creek in the Spenceville Wildlife area . To get there , take highway 65 north to Sheridan , follow the signs to Camp Far West res. , go across the dam , continue north on C.F.W. road .... ya can't miss it .

The fishing there is difficult - clear water w/ little food , brush/grass that limits where you can cast from (and holds untold numbers of biting critters) , and tough climbs in/out when you get away from the road :twisted: .

So why go there at all ??

The Smallmouth Bass in that creek are "Blue-phase" Smallies ... :shock: Something in the water makes them the most beautiful fish I've ever seen . They have slate gray bellies w/ black flecks washed over them . On their cheeks , instead of the "normal" finger stripes , the finger stripes are powder blue ! Eyes the color of clay bricks finish off these amazing fish . Once you see one or are good enough to catch one(I told you they are HARD-) , you will be hooked on them .

In the nearby Bear river , there is another morph of Smallmouth and Spotted Bass ... a lot of the small ones I catch (under 5 inches) have Lemon yellow mouths and fins !! No joke .... I mean BRIGHT yellow . You have to see these fish to believe it !!

I could go on about my favorite subject forever , but I won't .... Go try this spot . David

Hairstacker
03-18-2005, 04:43 PM
David, so there's ticks, rattlesnakes, stalking mountain lions, fields of poison oak and nettles, and flora to snag every other cast. Did maneaters stop Corbett? Did reports of warring savages stop Cortes? Did rumors of Bigfoot stop Lewis and Clark? I think not. When we goin'?

Darian
03-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah,..... But there's BILLIONS of SKEETERS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Darian
03-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Back a few years, before the Teichert property on the lower Yuba was closed off, I used to cross it to get to some beaver ponds that had Smallmouth, Bluegill/shiners and Green Sunfish in 'em. The water was clear/deep/moving slowly..... 8) 8)

Later, they flooded with high water and some of the dams were washed out.... Good times while it lasted. 8) 8)

I've been trying to get access thru the Brophy Road area for the South Side of the river, below the gold fields without much luck. Still posted.

I've been checking BLM maps for access to ponds off Hammonton/Smartville Road.... Looks like there might be some available. Altho, not sure yet. Western Aggregates hasn't been overly interested in cooperating...... :wink: :wink:

David Lee
03-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Did I forget to mention the SIX big ponds in S.W.A. :shock: ????

I think myself , Darian , and Hairstacker will do recon this spring/summer/fall and write a HUGE story about valley Smallmouth :!:

You DO NOT have a choice .... I have spoken :twisted:

David

Darian
03-18-2005, 11:57 PM
But, but, but..... There's BILLIONS :shock: :shock: :shock: of ...... Oh,..... nevermind :roll:

David Lee
03-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Darian .... Good point ! I say we take someone young and tasty with us . Has Adam ever fished Smallies ????

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P David

Are you comin' to see Jay tomorrow ?? David

Hairstacker
03-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Skeeters?!? Did skeeters stop Dr. Livingston's explorations of Africa? Did skeeters . . . oh wait, Livingston died while exporing Africa. . . . Never mind.

David Lee
03-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Another place that's in dire need of an exploritory trip is Cache Creek ..... I've heard it's the place to go for Smallmouth and Channel Catfish (Carp , too) . I've also heard you can't throw a rock there without hitting a Rattlesnake ..... LOTS of Snakes there :? ...

The lower Yuba could be decent , but I think the flows are just too cold to make it a viable Smallmouth fisherey . Same w/ the lower American . The old-timers I've spoken with have said the American , before Folsom Dam went up , was an amazing Smallmouth river . I haven't taken any Smallies out of the A. , but I have seen a few in the logjam @ paradise Beach . I did get a 4 1/2 lb. Largemouth out of Sailor Bar years ago ...

The Bear river is a strange place . It has the makings of a great Smallmouth river except the Smallies don't seem to get very big ... I've spent over 10 years fishing there , and have yet to break the 13-inch mark for Smallies . Largemouth are another story - I have seen them in the Bear to 9 lbs. and have landed them to around 6 1/2 lbs. :shock: on a fly . The Bear also had good fishing for Crappies and large Carp a while back .

The Feather does have good Smallmouth in it , but you need a boat ... Which takes it out of the running for what I would call a "good" Smallmouth stream .

The REALLY GOOD Smallmouth water is always under your nose :roll: ...... Get out and fish - David

Adam Grace
03-19-2005, 08:59 AM
David I might be even more tasty if I was to be smothered in bear grease :!: :lol:

I have only caught one smallmouth on a fly before. I caught that fish on a lower stretch of Putah Creek, by one of the concrete dams.

I would be interested in catching another.

David Lee
03-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Adam - I've a few streams for you to try this summer , you will be shocked by how hard those little Bass fight :!:

Rancid Bear Grease optional ...... David

Ed Wahl
03-19-2005, 11:56 AM
You guys need to hit the north fork of the american river at the iowa hill bridge. Wait until the water warms up in mid summer. This stretch is also a very popular swimming hole, you'll see why when you get there. There is also a campground right by the river which can make for a very pleasant weekend.There are lots of smaller bass around as well as some big boys in the deeper spots.Not really difficult fishing this stream as the brush starts a little ways up the bank due to the high water level at runoff time.Sure there's snakes and poison oak around but not much of either down by the water.I don't think you can beat this spot for an intro to streamer fishing for smallies.I've only caught one trout there but I have heard rumors of many more late in the year when the water cools down. Can't wait for summertime. 8)

Darian
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Ed,.... Have you ever fished the Cosumnes River out past Rancho Murrietta :?: :?: Water looks good but don't hear a lot about it lately... :? :?

Hairstacker
03-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Ed, thanks for the tip! Have you ever tried catching the smallies there on a topwater bug?

Ed Wahl
03-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Mike, no I haven't tried them on top. Usually when i'm there the fish are deep, you can use a mask and snorkel to locate them. There are a lot of caves that go under the largest boulders(boulders the size of a small house)and you swim down and carefully peek inside and see where the big guys lie.Might be some good topwater action at spawning time but I've never hit it.That might be right when runoff is coming down.That's really big water then.If you go into the canyon up above Foresthill you'll find it turns into a truly excellent trout fishery, no crowds either because it's a long walk in and a gruesome walk out. Now I'm gettin antsy for the mountains, I gotta go tie some flies or something. Ed

Terry Thomas
03-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Smallmouth?
The best place that I have ever fished for smallmouth was on the Umpqua River out of Roseburg. Drifted the river with guides. Although we did not catch anything to brag about, we did catch MANY fish that day. This would be a great place to take an angler who was just getting into the sport. In a day's fishing they could catch 20-40 fish from 10-14 inches.
Terry

Hairstacker
03-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Ed, that sounds like a good place to drop a chartreuse/white Clouser until it hits bottom and then strip it back in like a darting minnow. Is there much current to speak of there?

I have read accounts of really good, crowdless fishing on the North Fork but, like you said, I've also read that most of it is a GRUELING :shock: walk in/out, which is of course why very few fish it. Which sounds like all the more reason to go, with proper planning, of course (I've learned some lessons on other Bataan death marches -- okay, maybe one lesson -- NUTHIN' is more important than drinking water). On the other hand, walking in for an hour and 3 hours on the way out cuts into a lot of fishing time -- is it that bad or am I exaggerating?

Darian
03-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Mike,..... Just think about the skinny dippers down at the bottom in that swimmin hole and the trip out won't feel quite as bad..... 8) :twisted:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Here are some rivers that I hear have smallmouth:

NF American River - above Auburn (they are green up there)

Bear River - north of Roseville

Cache Creek - west of Willams

Putah Creek - upper (above Berreyessa) and lower (below Lake Solano)

Lower Consumnes River - east of Sacramento

Lower Stanislaus River - east of Modesto

Lower Merced River - east of Modesto (Gallow property)

Russian River - Alexander Valley

Lower Feather River - around Marrysville/Yuba City (August)

Little tributaries off the Sacramento River north of Sacramento.

Umpqua River and John Day River in Oregon are famous. (July)

Lower Snake River - OR, WA, ID ?

I was talking with Bob Clouser who guides on the Susquehanna River near Middletown, PA. He says it is the best place for them in a river.

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/guideservices.html

PS: I think you have to float remote sections of these rivers or hike into areas that don't get much pressure to get real good Smallmouth fishing.

Ed Wahl
03-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Mike, Hah, you've hit it right on the head. I used to use wooley buggers until I tied up a bunch of small clousers and tried them. Most effective fly ever for those particular smallmouth,plus you can drop them into holes,caves, and other places that would normally cost you a fly.The lower portions of the north fork are pretty easy to access.It's the mid to upper levels where it gets harder. I've gone in on 3 of the trails last summer and they're not as hard as some people say.I'd say about 45 min. to get down and about an hour and a half to get back out depending on your condition. Works best as an overnighter. Carry a filter and tank up before you head back up.Beer on ice at the top is a great incentive.Missed the stonefly hatch up there last year but from the amount of husks on the rocks it looks massive. :shock: Ed

David Lee
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Ahhhhh .... the Bataan Death march , I know it well , having done it a bunch of times .

Years ago , my pal Ron C. and I (in the throes of fish-madness) hit the Bear @ highway 65 . Foolish boys , we were ... trying to make it to the dam (around 7 miles upstream) in a day . Stopping to fish all of the good-looking runs (there were a bunch) , we got to within a mile or so of the dam by late afternoon .

So .... with darkness fast approaching , no flashlights , and 6 miles of ground to cover , what do we do ???

THAT'S RIGHT !! CROSS-COUNTRY :shock: !!

If you have ever had the pleasure of seeing the Bear river , then you know that the surrounding land is full of Snakes , Ticks , heavy Blackberry stands , and barbed-wire fences . We made VERY good time overland (fear will motivate you like nothin' else) , hit the truck in a little over 2 hours .
I will never forget the terror of springing over a fence into a pasture .... not knowing if the cows had male company , and RUNNING like a turpintined cat before Mr. Bull could stomp one of us into hairy jelly .

The fishing wasn't too bad ..... David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-23-2005, 11:50 AM
David,

You are too funny........but I know it's true but you write so intertainingly.

LostInTheFog
03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
David, I'm surprised I haven't run into you somewhere. I have been fishing the SWA for 15 years. Its where I really learned to cast, having to shoot my back-casts up through breaks in the brush in order to hit the target out in front of me. Even after moving up to stripers and steelhead and other larger species, smallies will always hold a special place for me because of the times I had in the SWA.

I have also fished the Consumnes near Rancho Cordova. It was many years ago, but the fishing was excellent even along the runs by the golf course where I had to contend with numerous swimmers and bait-soakers. The fish were all small (9" was a whopper) but they were plentiful. At the time, I was fishing exclusively with poppers, but little streamers or soft-hackles would have worked too, and may have dredged up something larger.

Around the same time, I also made a trip down to the Mokelumne. I can't remember exactly where, but I went south out of Placerville. (not on Hwy 49, maybe Mt Aukum Rd?) The wading was quite difficult, and I didn't stay long, but I did manage a few fish, all small.

Its good to see that others love smallmouth on the fly as much as I.

David Lee
03-23-2005, 12:15 PM
L.I.T.F. - Email of secret spots inbound . David

LostInTheFog
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
You guys need to hit the north fork of the american river at the iowa hill bridge.

Has anyone every put in here and tried to hike/float down to the top of Clementine?

David Lee
03-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Pete Peterson is the guy to ask that one to , he knows that stretch pretty well .

I reckon that stretch is more than a little "Snakey" , if ya get my drift ... I'd still be willing to do it if a few other people were interested . Have to get a water-filter for that , don't see how anyone could carry enough .

A little thing like Rattlers shouldn't stop anyone from having a little fun , right ?? There are worse Vermin on the lower American :twisted:

David

LostInTheFog
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
A buddy and I were considering doing it in pontoons. We would then get someone to motor up from the ramp at the dam and tow us back. We've also heard rumor of a road that leads from Foresthill Road down to the upper end. Either way, that's some prime smallie territory in there.

Hairstacker
03-24-2005, 12:47 AM
David, that is a great story, ha. Attempting to cover and fish 7 miles in a day is too funny, as it is EXACTLY the sort of crazy thing I used to attempt when I was younger. But with 6 miles to return, with no flashlight and darkness approaching on unfamiliar ground? That WOULD be pretty nerve wracking. :shock: (Hairstacker makes mental note to add "flashlight" to list of essentials. :lol: )

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 01:47 AM
I reckon that stretch is more than a little "Snakey" , if ya get my drift ... I'd still be willing to do it if a few other people were interested . Have to get a water-filter for that , don't see how anyone could carry enough .

I'd be willing to do this. I drove through this area a few weeks ago "I think" taking a country road from Forrest Hill to Colfax. I wasn't expecting what it was, but by the time I realized it was a "jeep trail", I was already committed. :) I have a Dodge RAM (only 2 wheel drive), but it was enough. I recall just staring at the river thinking to myself, I have to try and fish this one of these days. OK, I just looked it up on google and the bridge I went over was the Yankee Jims "Colfax-Foresthill" Bridge (http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=766)

I've got backpacking equipment too, so I'm totally game. I bought a water filter a while back that I've never used, so I could bring that too, I'm pretty sure it's still good. I'd be carrying a ton of water with me anyway though. When I backpacked in the past, I usually carried a 70 - 80 lb pack, and without doing an overnight, could easily carry extra water.

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 02:04 AM
I just found this picture of a Smallmouth bass in the clear, warm North Fork, it's just waiting for us! :)
http://act.netwiz.net/BassNFork.jpg

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 02:06 AM
Since I'm on the topic, here is a nice map of the area. This put it into a better perspective of where this is for me.
http://act.netwiz.net/BoatMapNF.jpg

Hairstacker
03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Wow, thanks Gregg, GREAT info! :D I like how you can click on that bridge link and see the Iowa Bridge as well, along with a few pics that show the water. I wonder if you can get to these bridges in a regular passenger car though. . . .

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I saw some smaller cars up there, but I'll tell you what, they better have gotten a re-alignment after going through all of that. Driving over that bridge though, I did it fast! I was just around 3 tons, and the limit was 3 tons.

Hairstacker
03-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Gee, bummer to hear I'd need a re-alignment afterwards. . . . :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, when I saw the weight limit on the bridge pic, I was thinking you'd want everyone to get out of the vehicle before driving across JUST to lighten up the vehicle as much as possible and be on the safe side. :wink: :lol:

Ed Wahl
03-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I've heard the Ponderosa Way bridge is kind of rough to get to but it is possible in a car.The Iowa Hill bridge is no problem, paved and smooth all the way down.I believe shirtail canyon is paved also but I haven't been in there.I like that map, good scale and shows just what you need to see.What about the bridge link?I don't see it, am I blind?I have some pics of that river somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 09:07 AM
I think the link you were looking for is here: http://www.bridgemeister.com/pic.php?pid=766. It was on the previous page.

Hairstacker
03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Ed, thanks for your comments regarding the roads. It is very helpful to know before you get there that you don't need a jeep with a winch, ha. :D

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 02:31 PM
So is anyone interested in planning an outing in this area? I'm totally game! I've been thinking of doing it, but it's always good to have some company.

Ed Wahl
03-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Been thinking about it since the start of this topic.The campground there is very pleasant.Vault toilets, bring your own water.It's only 5 miles out of the canyon into town so you really don't have to cook if you don't want to.C'mon summertime. Ed

Hairstacker
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking about it ever since this thread began too. I would LOVE to catch more smallies this year. . . . :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Actually the Smallmouth Bass, particularly in streams, is considered by many to be the greatest fresh water gamefish.

I know many would argue that which is understandable.

I read an articel by Joe Brooks when I was very young about catching very large Smallmouth on flies in the lower Snake River.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2005, 10:39 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/BassBks/index11.html

Books on Smallmouth Bass

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/books/bookreviews.htm

Hairstacker
03-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Bill, THANK YOU very much!!! Those are two outstanding links for any search for warmwater fly fishing and fly tying reading materials. Much obliged! :D

slipjoint
01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Actually the Smallmouth Bass, particularly in streams, is considered by many to be the greatest fresh water gamefish.

I know many would argue that which is understandable.

I read an articel by Joe Brooks when I was very young about catching very large Smallmouth on flies in the lower Snake River.
Bill - we use to go to the snake river breaks in eary spring for Rock Chuck shooting & small mouth fishing - this was in the mid 70's - 100 fish a day was very common in those days on the snake - the cat fishing was unreal - if you had a jet boat the Sturgan fishing was great - miles & miles of this water get little pressure even today - tom

jhaquett
02-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Hey since this post was resurrected I figured I'd let you know of a place around here that is great for smallies...I don't know if you ever come up north but here in Chico there is great smallmouth fishing in Big Chico Creek inside of Bidwell Park. Smallmouths and wild rainbows living side by side, its a pretty neat area.

slipjoint
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Hey since this post was resurrected I figured I'd let you know of a place around here that is great for smallies...I don't know if you ever come up north but here in Chico there is great smallmouth fishing in Big Chico Creek inside of Bidwell Park. Smallmouths and wild rainbows living side by side, its a pretty neat area.
thanks for the tip - i'm only 45 minutes from Chico i haven't been to Bidwell Park in many years but it is a very special place - t

jhaquett
02-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes it absolutely is. I stop in there whenever I get a chance, even though the fishing can be tough for trout.

BillPu
02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Smallies sound like great fun! What would you guys recommend for tackle? 5 wt or 3 wt?

Bill

David Lee
02-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Smallies sound like great fun! What would you guys recommend for tackle? 5 wt or 3 wt?

Bill

Hey Bill -

http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=897

David :D