PDA

View Full Version : Rio Skagit lines

Rick J
03-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Got to try out the new Rio Skagit lines last week with one of the guys that developed them - Scott O'Donnell. They have a 27 foot head with a fine running line. Come with a loop in front to attach tips. They come in 450, 550, 650 and 750 grains (7/8; 8/9; 9/10; 10/11). I used way too much effort in trying to cast these lines - it is a very easy, slow rhythm and they just fly. They can be used with any tips from very short to long big boys. The general idea for standard tips from 5 to 15 feet is to keep the fly line the same length so your casting stroke is the same. Thus they wrok well with cheaters (5' and 10 foot sections you can add in to the line)

Scott feels the ideal length of line is 3 times rod length plus 3 feet so depending on your rod length you can custom your line using the skagit line and cheaters and what ever tiip you want.

I used the 7/8 and the 8/9 on the Scott 1287 and it liked them both - the heavier line worked best when throwing heavy tips and big heavy flies - this line does this with ease!! Also used the 8/9 on the Anderson 13'3" 7 wt and it was awesome!!

Adam Grace
03-16-2005, 09:18 AM
I would like to try one of those lines Rick. I'll give Simon a call at Rio. Thanks for the report.