PDA

View Full Version : Easy bass fly

Adam Grace
03-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Here is an easy bass fly to tie for the upcoming season. It is tied gurgler style. I simply used rubberlegs in grenn, yellow and white for a tail(leggs) and added shoert front rubber legs.

Here's a picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/froggurgler.jpg

Recipe:

Hook - TMC 8089 #2-10
Thread - White Danville flat waxed nylon
Body - Medium sized white chennile
Weight - 6-10 wraps of .030 lead wire, positioned at the rear
Foam top - two 2mm foam sheets glued together, green and yellow
Eyes - 2.0 chartreuse tape eyes
Tail and legs - Medium sized round rubber leggs - Green, white and yellow
Weed guard - 30lb Mason hard mono

Darian
03-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey Adam,..... Good lookin' bug :!: :!: 8) What kind of results've you had on it :?: :?:

Adam Grace
03-16-2005, 09:08 AM
It catches bass :!:

I developed that bug about a year ago. I have only fished it a handful of times but I remember catching fish almost everytime I fished it.

I got tired of tying up tons of my bass akwards frog (epxoy belly fly in the picture below)and I wanted a simple easy pattern to tie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/bassakwardsfrogside.jpg
Adam's Bass Akwards Frog

David Lee
03-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Both of those will work .
Adam , I think I see you hosting a Bass fly swap in the future :twisted:
David

Darian
03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Adam,..... Is there some unstated reason why the second pattern is tied with the hook riding downward :?: :?: The original pattern had it riding upright...... 8) 8) Which way do you recommend :?: :?:

Adam Grace
03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Darian those are two different patterns. The chennile body fly(what I call my frog gurgler) is simple and easy. Gurglers are not tied to be fished with an inverted hook. The fly with the epoxy body (my bass akwards frog) has the inverted hook and takes much more time to tie/glue.

The easy fly is the frog gurgler.

They are two different flies but still simillar.

Darian
03-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Adam,..... Guess I didn't ask that question correctly. :oops: :oops:

There is a weed guard on the fly with the inverted hook (Bass Ackwards Frog). Does this fly tangle in the weeds in spite of the inverted hook or does this mean that the fly rides with that side down and becomes a floater/diver :?: :?: The colors for the body don't suggest that..... :? :?