PDA

View Full Version : Gurgler line

HC
03-15-2005, 10:43 PM
After 15 years my 8 wt SA floater is geating tired and so I need to replace it with something better. Mainly the new line is for pitching gurglers in the delta. The delta has dirty water so something easy to clean with good slip is needed. I have had good luck with SA lines so far. Any ideas. Harley

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Rio has recently introduced a new line called the Clouser Line. It is developed to turn over large bulky or heavy flies.

That should be great for tossing gurglers.

We carry it at the shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2005, 05:28 AM
You might also go up at least one size larger than your rod calls for.

Some are going up two sizes to throw poppers and gurglers.

You need to bring your rod into the shop and try one and two sizes over on it to be sure.

Several friends are using a WF10F on their powerful 8 weight rods but I think I would try it first.

I can tell you that going over one size will work better for anyone and any rod for poppers/gurglers.

Lee Haskin
03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi Harley,

That is a tough question.
Since we have very cold and very hot weather in the delta, it is tough to find a "one line fits all" line. IMHO
For cold weather, the Clouser Cold Water, or Pike Line (same line), is a good choice.
For the summer, and hot weather (black bass too) the Clouser Tropical Line is a good choice. However, if you want just one line for the entire year, I would recommend a Saltwater line. The old SA Saltwater was a nice medium-stiff line, however, they no longer make the Saltwater line in that stiffness any more. Rio tells me that their Saltwater line IS stiff but not as stiff as the tropical line, and may be the best choice. It will be my next line. For now, I have a Pike Line for the winter, and a Clouser Tropical for the summer.

I would recommend at least one size up and possibly two, depending on the rod. As Bill suggests, let them set you up at the shop. Maybe try a line there and see how it feels.

Hope this helps.

Lee