PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Rainbows

MSP
03-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Hit the "Y" today and what a difference a few days make. The fish were really keyed in on the PMD hatch that went off from 11:00ish to 12:30. I did manage 5 fish but should have had 15! :cry: Can't really complain about the acion now can I. After the PMD's were over it kinda slowed down, it actually slowed down a lot. I did get 2 more on an adult skwalla and missed a couple more on my way out on a March Brown dry. Not a lot of March Browns and the Skwallas seem to to be dwindling. Great day to be on the river! Here are a couple I got to hand.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00135.JPG

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00136.JPG

mike

David Lee
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Beauties as usual , Mike .... Great job !! When do the spring Caddis come off on the Yuba ?? David

MSP
03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi David,

I did see some caddis coming off today. I have only been in Sac for about 2 years so I don't think I'm qualified to answer your question. I did get some fish last year around Mothers day to Fathers day and then I spent the rest of the spring and summer chasing the 1/2 pounders on the American. I did see a black caddis on the willows a couple of weeks ago that I've never seen before. It was a size 12 or so and pitch black. Haven't seen one since. I'm sure you will get some better responses from those who are in the know. Sorry

David Lee
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Are you sure the "Black Caddis" were not winter Stoneflies ?? I used to see a LOT of very small (12-16) Black Stoneflies on the lower McCloud in the dead of winter (Gilman Road bridge) , little suckers look just like Caddis when they are that tiny .....

The Yuba has been good to many lately !! David

MSP
03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Yea I'm sure. I was checking for Skwallas in the willows and thought that was what I was seeing untill I got closer. I thought it was quite strange but then again I haven't been here that long and figured they might be normal. It was the only one I've ever seen anywhere. Must have been a mutant!

DonCooksey
03-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Great fish Mike! That second photo with the sparkles looks like it should be the centerfold in some fishing magazine! :D Hope I can get back there before too long...

Hairstacker
03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep, sounds like you had a FANTASTIC day Mike, good for you!! As always, beautiful fish! :D And I agree, I really like that second photo too with the sunlight sparkling off the water.

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Nice fish Mike, great shots.

What a difference a day makes!

rrivera
03-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Nice Work MSP..!!

Heya, couldn't help to notice the fly (I think that's the fly) on the lower right hand corner of the the first pic.

Is that the PMD pattern you were using..? sz 14 maybe..? It's great to know the chess match for flies is on with these fish. Makes the day more challenging. Great pic's..!!

MSP
03-16-2005, 07:45 AM
rrivera

No the fly was already removed. I was using a size 14 though. The fly that produced most was a parachute with a very light grey wing. Although the way it was going for a while I'm not sure it really mattered. Any yellowish mayfly would have worked. Here is a pic of the fly, it's a little worn but you get the idea.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285PMD.JPG

Adam Grace
03-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Mike, is that a carpet PMD :?: :lol:

Jasonh
03-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Nice fish Mike. That PMD looks great and must be another carpet creation. Going to be back in town in two weeks for a full week so we need to hit the A and Y.

Jason

Nip Hadlock
03-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I was out there yesterday too...late afternoon. They ultimately did key on the march browns...but only for the last hour or so of light.
Missed 4, one to hand...a great time...fish flying out of the water around me most of the day though the fly(s) they were willing to take changed three times!

MSP
03-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Yea, Yea, Yea, aren't all my flies a Carpet somthing or other :lol: Jason hurry up and get here the "Y" was pretty fun yesterday. Hope to get out again this week, I'll let you know what I see, or feel, or touch, or LDR! The "A" has been running a little high for my taste 3600cfs but Jeff F. of the other board seems to be getting a few. Haven't heard from Fish Nazi for a while I'll mail him and see what he's been up to. Let me know when you're coming.

MSP
03-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey David, check out NCFFB for the post by Jay M. That is exactly the same bug I saw. I don't know how big Jay's was but the one I saw was about 5/8ths of an inch long. Never thought about taking a picture of it. Of course the camera I use on the river isn't exactly a bug shooter.