PDA

View Full Version : April Fly Swap - Question

Darian
03-15-2005, 02:49 PM
In looking over the format of swaps on other BB's, I've noticed that some are done virtually. :wink: That is to submit a photo of the flies for posting on the board. 8) Since I've volunteered to host the April swap 8) , I've decided to ask a question about the format, in advance:

1. Is there any interest in changing the current format to submitting a photo of the flies to the board for posting :?: :?:

2. If so, what do you see as the pro's of doing so :?: :?:

My personal preference is NOT to change. However, there appears to be a reduction in interest in participation from the Feb to the Mar swaps. Maybe, a switch in format to the photo would allow more participants to submit a pattern without all of the inconveniences involved. 8) 8)

I'm a collector and like receiving flies tied by others for my collection; especially if we could entice someone like Jay M. or Ken H. to participate. :D

Jgoding
03-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Virtual sounds cool but I think the whole point in tying for a swap is to have fun tying up and receiving flies from other people.

Most boards simply have a pattern database if you want to upload pics of flies and recipes/tying instructions for any pattern you want. If you go to flytyingforum, they have multiple swaps monthly with 12 tyers and they just crank out flies like crazy.

I think having virtual contests might be a great idea though or a fly of the month sort of thing.

Jeff

David Lee
03-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Darian/Jeff - The poor turnout for this month is likely THE WEATHER !! How long has everyone been fighting off the cabin-nutties ?? I know all I want to do is go out and play , figure most are out doing just that .

A "virtual fly swap" ??? Ya lost me on that one ..... do you mean , like , post photos of flies and not tye/receive any ?? Sorry ..... I'm not getting the point . Must be all the histamines in the air (and in my nose) :? .

David

Darian
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
David,.... Virtual was meant that the flies tied by participants are submitted in photo form and displayed/posted on the BB..... 8) I don't have a digital camera but could use a scanner to digitize an image for submission. I see this as an inconvenience but others may not. It means that a participant need only tie one fly. No trading of flies, etc. :(

Actually, I'm not really interested in changing the format. Just testing the waters..... 8)

Hairstacker
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey guys! I like the idea of actually tying and receiving the flies rather than a virtual where you only tie one and post a picture without actually exchanging flies. Having said that, it would be nice, if it's feasible, to have pictures of who submitted what. I'm kind of guessing who tied the flies I received in the last swap and what pattern they are.

Gregg Machel
03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Perhaps when we submit our flies, have a note card that goes along with it that includes name, fly name, and materials/instructions. A standard format for this would probably be best. When all of the flies and cards are collected, take pictures and post them. Maybe collectively or individually, whatever works best. Then we can show the world how good (or bad) we are! ;)

MSP
03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I think the format we used in the Feb swap works just fine. Submitting photos of the flys for non-swappers to view should just generate more interest from the board. I also think that picking patterns for the local rivers that most of us fish would also generate more interest. A swap a month or so before the runs and hatches get going would seem a good thing. The caddis are going to get going on the American soon and the March Browns as well on the Yuba. A Shad fly swap would be good a month before the run starts should create some interest also. Just my opinion. I really enjoyed being in the Feb. swap. Just wish I were here for the BBQ!

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
I like to hold flies in my hands and feel the materials. To me, that's better than simply looking at a picture.

After someone ties a dozen of one fly they will learn how to tie it better and faster than before.

Let's keep on tying up multiple flies.

Darian
03-16-2005, 12:38 AM
OK...... So far there's lots of support for maintaining the current format of tying and exchanging flies. 8) 8) I'm for letting whoever hosts the swaps having the final say about the choice of pattern for a particualr swap. Sorry guys, I'm not tying anything smaller than a #14 and my fly fishing interests go into many areas (not all related to trout.....) :wink: :D

I saw a couple of suggestions that're worth exploring. One was for a card that included the name of the tyer and a recipe/tying instructions for the pattern. 8) I'm not sure printiing a number of cards to accompany the flies (1 for each fly) is practical but the information could easily be posted on the BB. Care to expand on this idea :?: :?:

The second was a "fly of the month"..... Not sure how we would decide what the fly of the month is, tho...... A photo of the this fly would be posted with the recipe, etc. 8) 8) Jeff, this one was from your thoughts. Got any further idea/information :?: :?:

Gregg Machel
03-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I could make an MS Word document with all of the required information for the card idea. I wouldn't expect pre-printed cards to be sent out, that would be a hassle. Then we consolidate the MS Word docs and print them out. I could do this, or we could do it at Kiene's when we gather all the flies.

Here is another thought ... We already have a theme for the types of flies we are tying, why not have this and come up with a big list of possibilities, then we pick the one we want to tie. Of course we would always have the option to do our own (within the theme), but having a list to choose from would make it easier, at least for me, and may draw in others. Example, I was a bit lost this month and then someone suggested the Zoo Cougar. I looked it up on the Internet and it looked like what I wanted to do. I haven't done any hair spinning yet, so this was the perfect opportunity.

My 2 cents ... again

David Lee
03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Guys (Er , umm ...savages :twisted: ) , I like the "fly-of-the-month" idea .... as long as we keep it separate from the monthly fly swap (who's hosting May ????) , it's a good idea . We have the "poll" option on this board .... so all we need is a F.O.T.M. master to gather the flies sent in , shoot photos , and maybe have everybody vote on a specific fly ....

This will involve , of course , more time from people BUT - in the long run , it will be VERY cool and something other boards will envy , not that that is the result we are looking for . Even if a flyswap turnout for any given month is low , we still have a good thing going , ya know ?

The feeling of family on this board is growing .... I think it's a good thing . David

Darian
03-16-2005, 01:27 AM
OK,.... Sounds like there's interest in a "fly of the month" to be set up in addition to the monthly fly swap. 8) 8) We can proceed as we have with the swap and organize "fly of the month" activities, separately.

Just thinking out loud here, but, if we're going to have a F.O.T.M. we probably need to explore how to choose our moderator for the F.O.T.M. and how long will that person serve :?: :?: What else might be needed :?: :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2005, 05:21 AM
I can tell you from experience that as soon as the fishing gets going in the spring and daylight savings rolls around our fly tying classes are hard to fill.

There is still a ton of fly tying going on though, all year.

Jgoding
03-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi guys,

So many questions...

Gregg has a good point with including some info. with each fly. The guys at Flytyingforum do the same and call it a "toe tag". Basically a small piece of paper with tier and fly name is attached to each fly (usually by sticking the hook through it). We should try to do this I think or we can leave it up to the swapmeister to do this... Or I would even be willing to provide the labels myself once we gather all the information and send them to everyone or the swapmeister.

The fly of the month was also an idea that I got from the flytyingforum. It is very general but each month a fly is picked and you tie your version of it. It is very open ended.... say the fly is a pheasant tail nymph, you could basically tie any style of mayfly nymph you want as this is what the fly generally immitates. Or we could narrow it down and tie only versions of pheasant tail nymphs..... It is just a way to get people to try new flies etc... that they may not generally tie.

MSP also had a good point about tying flies that we would use for that particular time of the year and I would have to say that's a good idea as well.

I think the point also came up of possible patterns for each swap. I guess we should leave it up to the swapmeister to provide this information as needed.

Jeff

Darian
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Jeff,..... Like the idea about "toe tags". Labels still might be an inconvenience, tho. How about posting the name/recipe or a reference to same under the post for the monthly swap :?: :?: No need for handling of labels but the name/recipe could be printed if wanted. 8) 8) (....you can tell that I'm not big on paper mgmt :wink: ) If the pattern being tied was originated by a professional, the recipe may be a reference to the source with credit to the originator 8) 8) What do you think :?: :?:

I'm a big believer in letting the "swapmeister" make the choice of pattern and whether it is usable locally for a particular swap. Participants can choose whether they want to partcipate or not. 8) 8) It seems to me that choice should be open to patterns for all types of fly fishing. If there's no interest in a particular swap, there doesn't have to be one for that month.... (our choice) 8) 8)

No thoughts on the FOTM right now..... :wink:

Gregg Machel
03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Any ideas for the April swap yet? I'm getting anxious to get started on a new fly already! How about traditional dry flies? This could be elk hair caddis, parachute adams, royal wullf, blue wing olive etc.

Darian
03-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Gregg,.... I was thinking we might give everyone a chance to complete their flies for the March Swap before beginning.... I plan to make a post during the weekend of the 26th and close participation for the April Swap around the 5th. That should give everyone enough time.

I think I mentioned, previously, that I was leaning towards Steelhead flies for April and I would exclude glo bugs or epoxy egg patterns from that swap. That would leave a lot of room for tying dries, nymphs, bucktails, etc. (even Olive Beadhead Wooly Buggers :P :P ) That way we can have a variety of sizes and types to choose from. Depending on your choice of patterns, they would be usable in local waters.

David Lee
03-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Darian - please put me down for the MOSSBACK , #8 . That isn't too much like a bugger :roll:

See ya !! David :mrgreen:

Darian
03-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey :!: :!: :!: , there aren't any beads involved, are there :?: :?: :P

You're in for the Beadhead Olive :? :? ...... Oh,..... Mossback :wink: 8) 8)

Hairstacker
03-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey, after biot-infested stoneflies and deer hair spun-out-of-control sculpins, I'll be ready, if not committed (as in insane) to do some woolly buggers. :lol:

Actually, I was thinking of doing something different (for me) for the steelhead swap but am now intrigued by your comment, "Depending on your choice of patterns, they would be usable in local waters." Are certain types of steelhead flies fairly useless locally? As in, don't measure up to the now-fabled olive beadhead woolly bugger? How about a black leech pattern, maybe an egg sucking one?

Darian
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Mike,..... In general, there're steelhead flies for Coastal areas (estuaries) that don't necessarily translate productively to valley rivers and vise versa..... :? :? For example, you probably won't see too many people using Comet or Boss patterns in the valley for steelhead. There're notable exceptions, such as wooly Buggers. Comets used in the valley are generally variations like the Hot Shot Comet. 8) 8) Also, you won't see many Pheasant Tail Nymphs used in estuaries. Bucktails lend themselves to use in moving currents; not slow water. Valley patterns are usable in either swinging or nymphing. 8) Neither of these techniques are favored in estuaries for Steelhead. There're many others as well. Fly tying literature is full of patterns for Steelhead. You might want to test your skill and look into Spey patterns for Steelhead. 8) 8) Many of them are beautiful and effective. :D

Just let your choice be whatever you think you'd like. :D Actually, most of the Sculpin patterns we just tied and your Stonefly pattern could be effective valley flies. As mentioned, I'm excluding single egg patterns (glo bug or epoxy type egg flies) and would like to avoid duplication of patterns tied in prior swaps.

For me the fun thing is doing the reading/selection and then the tying. :D Take your pick and tie.... 8) 8)

PaulC
03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
What about beads? Just kidding.
Even being this far down south, I wouldn't mind joining one of your swaps remotely.
If steelhead patterns in the valley is the choice, I was doing pretty good with a blue copper john variation last season. How many total of a pattern do you guys tie for a swap? (1 dozen? 2 dozen?)
How long do you have to tie? I'm up to my ears in Baja patterns right now.
If only bucktail grew on trees.....
-Paul

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Remote should be fine. We usually tie as many flies as we have participants plus one for a charity. This month it was only 7 flies, but last I think it was a dozen.

Hairstacker
03-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Paul, you're MORE than welcome to join in, as is any one else reading this board. As far as how many flies to tie, so far the swaps have been 1 more fly than the number of people who sign up for the swap. So, if 11 folks sign up for this swap, then we'll each tie 12 flies. The idea is that the extra fly each person ties will be given away to a good cause. The current in-process sculpin/crawdad swap will end on April 5, at which point the next swap of steelhead flies will begin. A week or so will be allowed for folks to sign up (by indicating intention to participate on this board). Past swaps have allowed one month to get all the flies in to the host, and I believe our April steelhead fly swap host Darian has indicated a due date of May 5, if I read his post correctly. He said he will be announcing the specific details this weekend. I'm not sure when the signups will begin but we'll learn that soon enough. As always, it should be great fun! :D

Hairstacker
03-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Oh, sorry Gregg, I didn't realize you were posting. :oops:

Gregg Machel
03-24-2005, 01:25 AM
That's ok, you did a much better job! :)

Darian
03-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Paul (and everyone),..... Just so that things don't get completely out of hand :? , I'd like to stick to a dozen partcipants/tiers for this month (April). Altho it's not an iron clad limitation. 8) 8) As explained, inmy prior post, we'll try to accommodate all who enter between 3/26 and 4/5. Please make your choice of pattern when letting me know of your participation, if known. In general, Location is not a limitation..... Paul, I'll put you down for a Blue Copper John. 8) 8) Thanks for your interest. :D

For the March Swap, I tried something that Jeff Goding suggested and used a "Toe Tag" to ID myself and the name of the pattern. 8) Also, I included a one page pattern description and instructions for tying in my package to Jeff. 8) I attached the "Toe Tag" to each fly by sticking the point of the hook thru a corner of it..... "Toe Tags" didn't take much time to create and use. I'd recommend them and the pattern description for the April Swap.

Tie one on Dudes :lol: :lol:

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Once again, as the local newbie, I am at a loss on what fly I should tie for next month. I want to tie something that I can use locally this year. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Steelhead fly that I can use locally (Sacramento Area)?

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 06:46 PM
OK, I'll be doing a Super Pupa (both olive & brown). Just picked up the materials for it and I'm ready to go!

Hairstacker
03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Sounds great, Gregg. Sorry not to be of any help, but I don't consider myself a steelhead fly person so I'm struggling with pattern selection as well. :?

MSP
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey Gregg, you can't go wrong with a Pupa pattern. I guarantee they will be used around here! I probably caught 200 shad last year using Fox Pupas and Fox Pupa emergers. Very good choice!

Darian
03-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Gregg,.... As I understand it, you're committing to tying two patterns. The Olive and Tan Super Pupa. is that correct :?: :? Have you considered how many flies that will translate into if there're 12 participants :?: :? That's 26 flies....... :shock:

I'm going to put you down for the flies but..... 8) 8) You might want to consider tying just one color..... Anyway, you can leave it as is or change your commitment if you'd like to.... :D :D

Gregg Machel
03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Keep me down for two, that was the plan. I figure if I do that many, I'll be a pro by the time I'm finished. Either that or I'll give out a bunch of hooks and beads (after you all cut everything off). :)

Darian
03-26-2005, 12:18 AM
OK Gregg,.... you're down for both, olive/tan, patterns....

So far, There're four confirmed participants in the April Swap:

I'm in but haven't made a choice of patterns, yet. :roll:

David has chosen to tie the Mossback. 8) 8)

Paul C has chosen the Blue Copper John. 8) 8)

Gregg will be tying the Olive Super Pupa and the Tan Super Pupa (two patterns). :D

Any other takers :?: :?:

randy
03-26-2005, 05:45 AM
bit off topic, but related--what about a post where you could list patterns you liked that you felt you where fairly good or efficient at that you would be willing to trade ? Muddlers for stimulaters, decievers for hair poppers, birds nest for buggers etc. Sorry if this has allready been brought up.