PDA

View Full Version : March Flyswap Update!!

Jgoding
03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone.

Well, it's time to close the swap I guess. We have 6 people

So, let's tie 7 flies apiece.

David - B.S. Craw (and that's Bug-Skin!)

Jeff - anyone have objections to a baby craw??

Darian - Nearnuff Sculpin

Gregg M - I believe a zoo cougar

Mike S - will refresh my memory hopefully

Patrick - see Mike S

Any late comers may join if everyone agrees.... but lets get these babies done. I will PM my address when you're ready.

Jeff

David Lee
03-15-2005, 10:43 AM
BOMBS AWAY !!!!

B.B.Q. at my place after bugs are finished ???? Only Beer and Yhatzee this time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: . David

Darian
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi Jeff,..... I'm almost done already 8) 8) The pattern is a "Near Nuff" Sculpin. Got one left to do for the swap. 8) 8)

Jgoding
03-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi Darian,

I thought you were doing a Whitlock pattern... was thinking nearnuff craw but completely forgot about the sculpin. I will update it.

Hi David. I didn't include Thom as he did PM me. So I guess 7 flies will be the final count... so Darian, You might be done!!

Jeff

David Lee
03-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey , Darian .... You mean to tell me you're tyin' a Whit near-nuff Sculpin ?? Isn't that like a Olive bugger w/ a hen tail and lead eyes ?? --- :twisted: GOTCHA :twisted: !!

David :P :P :P :P

Gregg Machel
03-15-2005, 12:15 PM
When are these scheduled to be done by? I know we have some flexibility, but just want to get an idea of when you want to wrap this one up. End of the month? Yes, I am doing the Zoo Cougar, I bought all the stuff I needed last weekend. Turns out I had most of it already, that was refreshing! :)

-Gregg

Hairstacker
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Jeff! I will be tying a marabou sculpin. Assume the due date is still April 5th. This will be a fun bunch of flies to see! I finally had a chance to look at the last swap flies -- David wasn't kidding, ALL of those flies are GREAT!! There was one fly in particular, I think it was the one you tied, that I thought was just AMAZING. It looked like a caddis larva and the head was tied with some kind of wide thread that had the green, irridescent look of peacock herl. If you looked very closely, you could see little hairs sticking out of the abdomen. Did you tie that one?

Darian
03-15-2005, 02:25 PM
David,..... It's "near nuff" to an Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger..... :lol: Not above copying/using effective patterns. :wink:

Jeff,..... The "Near Nuff Sculpin" is a Whitlock pattern..... 8) 8)

Gregg Machel
03-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Well, I finally got a chance to sit down and start tying these zoo cougars. I got three done, but I'll only count two of them. I wouldn't wish the first one on my worst enemy! :) I'm loving this idea of tying for a group, for the first two, I was following the step by step guide religiously, but now I just know how to do it. This is great! :)

Hairstacker
03-17-2005, 12:48 AM
I hear you Gregg. The last swap was my first one ever and tying for other folks really made me pay attention to what I was doing, as I wanted to do well, you know? I'm convinced these swaps are going to make me a much better tyer.

Jgoding
03-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Hey Mike,

Yeah, that caddis was mine. That's Quick Descent dubbing on the head, tried to use a few different colors each segment too, but it is hard to notice on some of them. The hairs are ostrich herl that was woven in and out with the body (but just on the bottom). I did use some mason's hard nylon, one piece on each side of the head/thorax segment to help maintain shape also. (or it kind of went to a thick abdomen to a skinny looking head...)

I'm gonna try to tweak the pattern some and will make some in different colors and post it up hopefully. I will try to make a step by step as well for anyone who wants one. They are not weighted either, I think they should be, but I guess you could thread a tungsten bead onto your line before tying the fly on and that should get it down...

Jeff

Hairstacker
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Jeff, appreciate your comments as I was very interested in how you put this fly together, particularly those hairs sticking out of the abdomen. Looking forward to seeing the results of your "tweaks" and any "step by step" you might come up with. GREAT fly, I bet the trout find it irresistable! :D

Jgoding
03-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Mike,

Haven't fished it yet but I can't wait til fall when that half pounder run comes in and I'm gonna fish that thing every day I can get out and see how well it works. Honestly I just designed it during the swap with lots of changes from what it started out with. Maybe one day, when I get a camera with a good macro I will post more pics and step by steps.

Jeff

Gregg Machel
03-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Grrrrrr ... Two times in a row now, I was trimming the spun deer hair and I cut off the feather behind it. I would have been done already if I hadn't done that. Hrmmm, you think anyone would notice if a feather was missing? Well, I guess they would now that I opened my big mouth! I'll get this yet, two more to go.

Gregg Machel
03-18-2005, 01:17 AM
OK, I have all my flies done. Where do I send these? Can I bring them into Kiene's on Saturday (Jay M's tying demo) and give them to someone?

Jgoding
03-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Gregg,

What time are you planning on being at Kienes tomorrow? I was thinking of heading over there as well and you could give me the flies then. I know David was planning for a lunch or something so anytime around 12:00 is fine I guess.

Jeff

Gregg Machel
03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I was planning around 12:00, and probably doing lunch there too.

Jgoding
03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
HI Gregg,

Bring the flies to Kienes I guess. I will be picking up David and we will be there around 10:00am and leave after lunch.

Jeff

David Lee
03-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Jeff - the Craws (SullyTMs and mine) are finished . David :mrgreen:

Gregg Machel
03-30-2005, 12:19 AM
How do you distribute the flies? Didn't you all meet at someone's house for a BBQ last time and mail out the others to everyone who couldn't come? I recall reading stories about drinking scotch?

As for me, I'm always up for food! :) I could also pick them up at Keine's Fly Shop too if that's an option.

David Lee
03-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Good morning Gregg .

1.- Almost always thru the mail . the Swappers mail them to whoever is hosting the swap that month ...... Picking the flies up and dropping them off is an option if it's O.K. with the host .

2.- Yes .... there was a bottle of Scotch going around at my BBQ ... also Yahtzee , music blasting , PILES of food , lots of chatter , dancing girls , Rancid Bear Grease samples , subversive wet-fly use , etc. .... I've been told my parties are anything but dull .

You are , of course , invited to the next one :twisted:

David

Adam Grace
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
My favorite was the rancid beear grease :!: :lol:

David Lee
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
RANCID BEAR GREASE = good stuff !!

Someday ..... I'll post up a huge list of uses for it , like Bill did for WD-40 . :P :P :P :P :P :P
David PS - it even replaces Deer-Hair :twisted:

Hairstacker
03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
It even replaces deer hair?!? That's it, I'm going back to bed. :lol:

PatrickM
03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm finally done with this batch of big uglies. I subscribe to the theory that the flies that are least aesthetically pleasing to the fisherman are often the most effective. You guys will see soon enough. :shock:
Where do I send these things, Jeff?

Hairstacker
03-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I'm finally done too and an wondering where to send them. Thanks!

Jgoding
04-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I think everyone has completed their flies or put them in the mail. I will be done this weekend hopefully and will try to get the flies out ASAP. PM your address if you did not include it with your flies and thanks to all that participated. All the flies received so far look pretty good.

Maybe in the future we can all get together and tie away.

Jeff

Jgoding
04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
HI everyone,

I received the last set of flies in the mail yesterday from Patrick. I will be sending them out to everyone this week. They all look like pretty good fish catchers to me. Good job everyone and thanks for getting your flies in on time.

Jeff

Hairstacker
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey, thanks for hosting Jeff! Can't wait to see the flies, as the category of sculpins/crawdads made for some interesting choices. 8)

SullyTM
04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
FISH ON! I just opened up the mail with the First Fly Swap flies. I'm not sure if I'll fish them...I might frame them! If everyone who tied one could help me with an ID I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Thom

SullyTM
04-06-2005, 12:48 PM
FISH OFF! I located a summary of the patterns tied in the first fly swap and matched up the flies to the tiers...hmmmm, which one to use first?

Jgoding
04-18-2005, 10:18 AM
HI guys,

Sorry for the delay but work has been busy and I was pretty sick last week. All the flies for March will be shipped out tomorrow so look for them in the mail this week. Hope everyone has a chance to get out and use them.

Jeff

Hairstacker
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Jeff, thanks for the update. Whenever it's convenient is always fine with me.

SullyTM
04-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I got my flies yesterday at David's house. Boy Howdy they are nice! Thanks everyone. It's been fun doing this swap-o-rama. Hairstacker, you're killin' me(I picked up some black deer hair in Michigan and have come up with a sculpin pattern)...Gracias everyone!

PatrickM
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Guess what came in the mail today? Another bunch of great looking flies. I'll be copying some of those this summer for sure. Thanks guys.

Hairstacker
04-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I just got mine in the mail as well! Wow, GREAT flies! ALL of them! Folks who aren't getting in on these swaps are missing out big time. The category (crawdads/sculpins) especially made for some interesting ties. I really liked the idea of using toe tags -- Jeff, did you tie the baby crawdad pattern? Anyway, thanks guys for some really nice flies and special thanks to Jeff for hosting. :D :D :D

P.S. Reaction from one of my boys, who also ties, when he saw these flies -- "Wow. . . ." :D

SullyTM
04-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Mike...I tied a crawdad pattern. One of 2 or 3 I think. Mine had orange/brown rabbit strips for arms/claws. I don't have my box in front of me but David tied a dandy little 'dad. Did you get my PM? from today? Thom

Jgoding
04-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Guys,

Yep, that baby crawdad was mine. I didn't toe tag mine though but I should've. Kind of starting to move so things are kind of hectic so I just threw everything together first chance I had and sent them off.

Jeff

Hairstacker
04-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi Thom! Yeah, I recognized yours, as you put a toe tag on it. I REALLY liked your fly, by the way -- it looks like it would just SLAY those smallmouth bass. But, alas, it will never see water, as I plan to feature it in a display. :D

Hairstacker
04-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Jeff! I thought that fly might be yours. . . the tiny purple soft, feather barbs and very fine pearl flashabou-type tinsel that are left to flutter. . . . Although I've only seen two of your flies thus far, I believe I recognize your signature on the flies you tie -- (1) you pay attention to minute details that make me slowly shake my head and think "wow. . . . ," (2) I can't replicate them, and (3) they are simply gorgeous. I craft flies but yours are in the realm of art.

Darian
04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Good looking flies, all.... Not sure I want to spoil 'em by fishing with 'em, tho. Oh well, It's always been my intention to gain flies for my collection.

Between Jeff's Baby Craw and David's BS Craw (....BS meaning more than the material :P :P :twisted: ), there's an investment in time and creativity 8) 8) 8) . All the craw patterns look fishy to me.... :D

Sculpin patterns were few but very good (including mine [I'm looking for the emoticon that pat's me on the back :lol: :lol: ]).

Congrat's guys..... Job well done 8) 8)

Jgoding
04-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Darian, I'm framing that sculpin, it's so damn cute :wink:

When I get my sinking line set up, i'm gonna whip that olive sculpin around and see what I can catch on the American.

Darian, I have 4 Zuddler's done. I will try to post a pic. I think you guys will like them. I upgraded them of course from any patterns I found online. They're pretty fun and fast to tie. I hope the color scheme I went with works out.

As it worked out, I did not have an extra set of flies because Thom did participate ( I think, or maybe I wasn't supposed to send one back of your own fly.... anyways, not a big deal but just FYI).

Thanks for participating everyone.

Jeff